997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Leather Damage on Adaptive Sport Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Bahrain Turbo is infamous around these parts
Angry Leather Damage on Adaptive Sport Seats

Hi everyone. Let me tell you that I am not much of a 'poster' but this is the only forum i read and enjoy before and since i purchased my 997 turbo which I have owned for almost a year now and loving it. I am in need of your help would appreciate any feed back.

Today i discovered that the driver's seat in my car has a small cut and a major crease on the low cushion under the thighs which is clearly visible. I don't know how to describe it but its like there was a pen in my pants' back pocket or something which cut through the perforated leather. i have no idea how it got there or when cause i really don't look at the seat much when getting in/out. But it seems damaged and i think by sitting on it it will only make it worse.. I'm a really picky guy so this will not pass i need a solution! Please help...

What can i do? Do porsche sell the bottom cushion of the seat separately?
Will porsche sell their perforated leather to me in case i can get the certain part of the seat replaced locally? Who would sell the leather? Porsche Dealers? 3rd party? Does anyone know how much a whole new seat costs- just the left (driver) one? ( no I don't want bucket/aftermarket/recaro/carbon fibre etc etc) Does anyone know of a site where i can view an updated porsche spare parts catalogue to find out what is available and for how much?

I did a google search but with no luck.. Your help and guidance would be highly appreciated...

Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM
oc997 is just really niceoc997 is just really niceoc997 is just really niceoc997 is just really nice
You can order the seat covers seperately from Porsche and get it easily replaced. The only issue is that since your car is 1 year old the new leather seat cushion will stick out compared to the rest of the leather on your seats.

To be absolutely perfect you need to swap out the entire seat cover on both sides so your interior does not look 2 tone. Your rears will obvoiusly look new since you probably never use them

This would be a perfect excuse to either just reupholster both front seats from an aftermarket interior shop or buy the new cf GT2 seats from suncoast porsche.

If i were you i would buy the new GT2 seats.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
SoCalCFP is infamous around these parts
i had a burn in my previous mercedes seat and was referred to an auto interior facility and they replaced the one panel and i couldn't tell the difference. pretty inexpensive to repair. ask your dealer or an independent porsche repair facility for the referral.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
Suggesting total replacement with very costly GT2 seats for minor damage in lieu of repair is out in the left field bleachers. A good upholstery shop may be able to fix the problem so it is invisible. Look around & get an opinion from an expert. If the entire seat bottom cover must be replaced, I can't see how it will have a different appearance from the passenger side in a one year old car.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Go to a high end automotive upholstery shop, they should be able to help. Otherwise, order a replacement from Porsche. There is a well known shop in LA that advertises in Excellence a lot, their name escapes me right now.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Originally Posted by MichaelL
Suggesting total replacement with very costly GT2 seats for minor damage in lieu of repair is out in the left field bleachers. A good upholstery shop may be able to fix the problem so it is invisible. Look around & get an opinion from an expert. If the entire seat bottom cover must be replaced, I can't see how it will have a different appearance from the passenger side in a one year old car.
+1

I had a similar cut in my seat. A good auto upholstery shop and 100 bucks later it was just about perfect.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:13 AM
BRN 997 TT is infamous around these parts
First of all welcome to the forum.
My advise to you bro is take your car RUF Bahrain talk to Selvan, he should help you out, cuz the other day i was there, they have done a whole interior refurbishment of a 993, & i was shocked.

Originally Posted by Bahrain Turbo
Hi everyone. Let me tell you that I am not much of a 'poster' but this is the only forum i read and enjoy before and since i purchased my 997 turbo which I have owned for almost a year now and loving it. I am in need of your help would appreciate any feed back.

Today i discovered that the driver's seat in my car has a small cut and a major crease on the low cushion under the thighs which is clearly visible. I don't know how to describe it but its like there was a pen in my pants' back pocket or something which cut through the perforated leather. i have no idea how it got there or when cause i really don't look at the seat much when getting in/out. But it seems damaged and i think by sitting on it it will only make it worse.. I'm a really picky guy so this will not pass i need a solution! Please help...

What can i do? Do porsche sell the bottom cushion of the seat separately?
Will porsche sell their perforated leather to me in case i can get the certain part of the seat replaced locally? Who would sell the leather? Porsche Dealers? 3rd party? Does anyone know how much a whole new seat costs- just the left (driver) one? ( no I don't want bucket/aftermarket/recaro/carbon fibre etc etc) Does anyone know of a site where i can view an updated porsche spare parts catalogue to find out what is available and for how much?

I did a google search but with no luck.. Your help and guidance would be highly appreciated...

Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Bahrain Turbo is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Thanks guys...

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I'll weigh my options and see whats the best way to fix it. The dealership here said that they CAN change the whole bottom cushion separately (thank god) but for a signifcant amount, but i have to admit its a lot less than i expected.. about $1100 without the labour.. I will most likely go for the dealership option, i don't want to gamble with just changing that part.

Khalil,
Whats up bro? Kil 3am wint ebkhair.
Thanks for the tip, i actually didn't think of RUF, I didn't think they would do these small leather jobs. But yeah I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. The problem is my car is in for service so i can't really show it to anyone while its there cause to be honest, everyone i asked, including someone at the dealership, recommended freddy's. I will definitely hesitate a thousand times before deciding to trust someone local for this kind of car.. but what do you think? do you know if freddy's would do a good job? Anyways, thanks for your help again and hope to see you around.. Take care

Last edited by Bahrain Turbo; 10-08-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
BRN 997 TT is infamous around these parts
Winta eb5air, but sorry who's this?

RUF does everything concerning P-cars. I think if the dealer is going to charge you $1k, go ahead with there option, i mean how much would they charge you labor? 2 hour's or 3, its not that bad. so the whole process wont cost u $1500 i assume for fixing the seat. At least u wont feel bad looking at it the way it is now, & next time, u should b more carefull sitting in ur car....

Originally Posted by Bahrain Turbo
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I'll weigh my options and see whats the best way to fix it. The dealership here said that they CAN change the whole bottom cushion separately (thank god) but for a signifcant amount, but i have to admit its a lot less than i expected.. about $1100 without the labour.. I will most likely go for the dealership option, i don't want to gamble with just changing that part.

Khalil,
Whats up bro? Kil 3am wint ebkhair.
Thanks for the tip, i actually didn't think of RUF, I didn't think they would do these small leather jobs. But yeah I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. The problem is my car is in for service so i can't really show it to anyone while its there cause to be honest, everyone i asked, including someone at the dealership, recommended freddy's. I will definitely hesitate a thousand times before deciding to trust someone local for this kind of car.. but what do you think? do you know if freddy's would do a good job? Anyways, thanks for your help again and hope to see you around.. Take care