997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pdk 911 Cs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:06 PM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cabman4007
Swatdoc,, DO YOU AGREE?? from your drive?
cabman
WOW, do I sense a convert here? LOL. When we went to the dealership (Porsche of Melbourne... BTW always buy from them, they're great to work with and always have just what you are looking for) we were out to test drive the new PDK system and its launch control that our master mechanic was praising....hmmm, good enough for Steve, then definitely worth a look-see. Well we spoke to Horst (Porsche sales manager and all around good guy) and essentially "magazine-raced" with him while they were preparing the car. I'll be honest I was skeptically optimistic at best, I had read all about the new system and was eager to see if it was all that it was hyped up to be (think GT-R, on second thought no don't...I'm tired of those threads). Now, my buddy Cabman just wasn't buying it..."no way that it (the PDK) could be quicker than my twin turbo!" So first time out, Horst at the wheel, Cabman riding shotgun and me folded in half to fit into the 911's vestigial rear seats...here we go! Horst take us through the sequence: Sport plus "on"...check, depress brake pedal...check, stand on the accelerator...check (oh yeah!), watch as tach climbs to 6000 glorious RPMs...check, quickly release brake while maintain full accelerator pressure...BAM (I mean check, I mean OH MY GOD!). I agree with all the others the first 2-3 seconds is unreal, and then back to the previously scheduled program (normal 911 Cs with 385 bhp). No slip, no strange noises, no tire hop, no worrisome body shake, nothing but immediate forward motion. 2-3 seconds of pure heaven, acceleration Porsche style and very predictable. My impression of the PDK was what we (teenagers back in the day) used to call brake torquing, just with a lot less violent ending and immensely more/quicker forward motion. If this system can be successfully utilized in the new turbo then look out Godzilla, you're about to become a has been! My only negative was that the launch was just too short of a sensation. The rest of the time the PDK performed effortlessly/seamlessly as Horst just let the two of us take out the 100k+ Cs for a little "fun" (great guy) we were both able to duplicate the launch and tested the sequential shifting around town (boy would I love to try this out on the track ). We came back with smiles on our faces, a new found respect for Porsche/PDK and a gleam in our eye as to what is in store for the next generation of P-cars. Looks like Nissan might have just kicked the hive.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:15 PM
theporscheguy is infamous around these parts
Gentleman please, let's be serious here. There is no problem with the "power output" of the turbo and the PDK not being able to handle the torque. How many Tips do you think that Porsche had sitting on the shelves when they announced the PDK? It's not like they are replacing the Tips left and right, they are a solid trans, it's just that they are still an auto. Porsche is just getting rid of their inventory of Tips, more than likely to not lose a whack of cash and to meet contractual abligations to the supplier. Don't be fooled, Porsche does nothing without calculating and analizing the **** out of everything that they do. Mistakes can be made (924...) but all in all, they are not where they are by making silly mistakes and shooting themselves in the foot. How many times have I had to eat my words? "Oh God, a Boxster?? It's not a real Porsche!", " An SUV? It's the end of Porsche! They've sold out!". I didn't even like the Cayman when I saw pictures of it, but when I saw it unveiled in person? Different story. Even the Panamera had me wondering..., it's awesome!!!!! Now just wait till we drive it! Do not doubt Porsche and what they do, I have learned my lesson. Porsche, there is no substitute.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Our local Porsche dealers brought 3 PDK cars to Summit Point last fall during our DE and we all got to drive a couple laps on the track. They had a lead car so you couldn't reach top speed, but we did get up to 100mph. The thing that impressed me the most besides the smoothness, was I was able to concentrate a lot more on driving the track and a lot less on clutch and shifter work. This is going to be big in the future.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Sounds like I have to start saving again... I hope it comes with real 'paddles' instead of clickers.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I have the manual now and love it, however PDK will more than likely be in my next Porsche.

While it takes away some involvement, you can get some of that back while practicing your left foot breaking.

Which is faster is no contest. PDK wins every time.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
The thing that impressed me the most besides the smoothness, was I was able to concentrate a lot more on driving the track and a lot less on clutch and shifter work. This is going to be big in the future.
Hey Larry,

Nice comment, I too am looking forward to a GT3 in PDK.

BTW your 996TT has an amazing color, is it cobalt blue? any bigger pictures?

Last edited by Targa Tim; 02-22-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 AM
pazman is infamous around these parts
Yes it does! Both right and left paddles are the same, i.e. one is not to change up and the other to change down, both operate changes up and down, and one more thing....when humming along in a higher gear, say 6th or 7th, a quick stab of the throttle, initiates a quick downshift to 2nd, and away you go again!!! The system takes a little getting used to, its more than a touch. You have to physically depress the paddle, until you hear the click. PDK is the way to go, oh and yes its been sorted on the turbo! Aussie source.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
PDK C4S with TURBO on order

I currently have a C4S PDK with a PDK Turbo on order. I been through 7 new vehicles this year and I have been dreaming about the PDK Turbo for over 2 years...knowing what it will be capable of. I can tell you that the C4S is quite fast. I have already put 3000 miles on it, and once you become familiar with it, it is difficult to want a manual. I will say...manual will always have that great feel, but it depends on what you are doing with the car. The PDK can accomplish blistering fast shifts especially in sport plus. I have driven it hard a few times and taken my friends (other car nuts) with me. They almost **** their pants a few times. There is major control of the car with PDK. Manual is just different, but there is not question, race or track...go with PDK...if you want to be faster. I would gladly answer any questions about PDK. The Launch control is fun. Super easy to do. I just stop anywhere sometimes hold the brake...jam the gas and go, you just need to be in sport plus, but when you are hard driving...who wouldnt be. I am definitely praying each day for the Turbo PDK. My dealer has put me in this C4S until it arrives. He assures me that it is coming at some point, but there is no confirmation. I definitely foresee porsche having 3 gearbox options though. -D

Old 03-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Porsche119,

You must be doing something really well if you can go through 7 cars in one year.

Does your dealer know anything about PDK in a GT3?

Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Im spending my money really well. All in all I made some silly decisions with that, but it led me to Porsche.

As for the GT3. I know there is no "plan" for PDK, but I assume it would be caused by demand. He knew it was not coming this year in the GT3 and he was right. It is the "die hard" "bare bones" racer, and if you listen to the forums, people still complain about the PDK..most likely because they have not tried it, or because they are too affraid to say they like it. It is possible not to like it. I still enjoy a manual too, but for all out performance, how can it be beat. Just the steering wheel and shifter, but that is simple stuff. D

Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Porsche119
Im spending my money really well. All in all I made some silly decisions with that, but it led me to Porsche.

As for the GT3. I know there is no "plan" for PDK, but I assume it would be caused by demand. He knew it was not coming this year in the GT3 and he was right. It is the "die hard" "bare bones" racer, and if you listen to the forums, people still complain about the PDK..most likely because they have not tried it, or because they are too affraid to say they like it. It is possible not to like it. I still enjoy a manual too, but for all out performance, how can it be beat. Just the steering wheel and shifter, but that is simple stuff. D
Thanks for your response.

I love my manual club coupe and don't think I will give it up for a PDK car, but like to add a PDK GT3 if they make one.

Die hard racer doesn't need to be manual cars, look at F1. I really think PDK is suited for track use as well as street use.