997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is PDK exactly the same as DSG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Is PDK exactly the same as DSG?

For example:

DSG shifts in 8ms. SMG II shifts in 80ms. PDK shifts in?

http://paultan.org/archives/2006/06/...s-way-for-dsg/

Old 10-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
The design concept is the same yes, they are not the same transmission, Porsche used this style transmission 25 years ago on the 956/962 race cars.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 PM
OT997 is infamous around these parts
The SMG that I had in the M6 was not a double clutch set up like PDK. Although I have not driven the new PDK Carrera, PDK should be much smother and faster since the odd/even gears are pre-staged to deliver a seamless shift with a clutch for each odd/even gear set.

SMG without a double clutch set up was brutal on it's fastest setting, literally slamming the gears and it took a little throttle lift off to get very smooth shifts. I had heard that BMW were going to deliver a dual clutch SMG similar to PDK and DSG boxes. This would improve driveability and speed of shifts.

Many of us former M6 owners would cruise in D mode waiting for prey and then mash the throttle. The SMG computer would instantaneously select the best gear way faster than you could click down. Then once at redline in that gear engaging the paddles on the upshift it would switch the box to S mode (manual). When you wanted full manual you had it. When you wanted a starbucks you put it in D mode and presto an automatic manual. The programming options on these boxes is really an art.

I really loved the engine/transmission (and sound!!) of the M6. A beefier PDK with a TT would be unbelievable.

Bottom line on dual clutch sequential manual gearboxes: as smooth as as an automatic, way faster than a human, complete manual control or automatic when you wish and no torque converter. Very cool technology (if you own a GTR remember to budget an extra $20K for the spare DSG not covered by your warranty when you 'accidentally' turn off VDC).

That said there were numerous red "cogs of death" reports on the M5/M6 boards when I was active. So these boxes are still early in their maturation process. The difference as I see it is that both BMW and Porsche stand behind their warranties.