997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Exhaust torque specifications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:47 PM
2008911tt is infamous around these parts
Exhaust torque specifications

Can anyone provide me with the header bolt and other exhaust system torque specifications for a 2008 911 Turbo? I am upgrading the exhaust. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:04 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
25 ft lbs on the header bolts, similar on the studs I believe.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks TT Surgeon!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:56 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Are you doing a DIY install for an exhaust?

Strongly recommend PB Blaster or other lube before pulling the bolts. For that matter, you may want to simply buy replacement bolts and a thread chaser kit.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the tip bbywu. I am doing a DIY installation. I am not familiar with PB Blaster. I had no problem pulling the exhaust manifolds as my car is a 2008 with only 2800 miles. I am having a real difficult time getting at the two top bolts where the turbo housing joins the factory cat. I am thinking I am going to have to remove the lower fascia and take out the heat shielding to be able to get clearance to turn a wrench. If you have done this type of upgrade can you provide any other advice?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:27 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2008911tt
I am having a real difficult time getting at the two top bolts where the turbo housing joins the factory cat. I am thinking I am going to have to remove the lower fascia and take out the heat shielding to be able to get clearance to turn a wrench. If you have done this type of upgrade can you provide any other advice?
Do you simply have the car on a lift/ramps, or did you remove the bumper? It's easier if the bumper is off...I ended up removing everything...bumper, heat shield, and intercoolers...the person to credit really is eclou, who wrote a great write up here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pressions.html

Not every exhaust requires a full bumper removal, but it certainly makes things easier.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by 2008911tt
Thanks for the tip bbywu. I am doing a DIY installation. I am not familiar with PB Blaster.
PB Blaster is a penetrating lubricant - you could use something else like Liquid Wrench, penetrating oil, or a crowbar and sledgehammer...oops, did I say that?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:29 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
You can get to those with a shorty 13mm hand ratchet, it's a ***** bc of the shear size of the stock muffler to work around. I didn't have to take the bumper off, and I've done three different systems on/off my car. Not sure it would add much to getting to those anyway, they're knuckle busters.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 10-26-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for another tip TT Surgeon. I did manage to get the upper inside bolt that attaches the original cat/muffler assembly to the turbo but haven't found a way to get at the upper outside one. I think I may try to remove the heat shield to get enough clearance to actually move a wrench. I used a 13mm ratchet wrench on the upper inside bolt but it still took a long time. I have tried a wobbly socket and a series of extensions and u-joints to try to get an angle but no success so far. I also ordered a 13mm half moon wrench to try. I am waiting for new copper gaskets because the ones shipped with my original order were bent so I have some time. Getting the headers off was the easy part. I am propbably going to regret not installing larger turbos by the time I am done.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
PB Blaster is a penetrating lubricant - you could use something else like Liquid Wrench, penetrating oil, or a crowbar and sledgehammer...oops, did I say that?
I actually used WD-40 and it worked well. I did find PB Blaster at NAPA today though and bought a can to have around. I am still looking for a wrench to get the O2 sensors out of the cats. I can loosen the back ones with a standard 22mm combination wrench but haven't found something to get on the rear ones. Someone suggested an angled crowfoot wrench but I haven't found one as yet. I did try a regular crowfoot without any success.

I appreciate all the advice.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Did you try the shorty 13mm hand wrench with ratchet action, (that's what I used, you will not be able to get a socket on there)?
May help to take off the tips as well. It's a PIA, but can be done.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Did you try the shorty 13mm hand wrench with ratchet action, (that's what I used, you will not be able to get a socket on there)?
May help to take off the tips as well. It's a PIA, but can be done.
I was finally able to remove the cat to turbo bolts/studs using a 13mm combination end wrench, a 13mm wobbly socket with 1/4" drive ratchet and 1/4" X 3/8" adapter, and a 13mm ratchet wrench. The clearance is s tight that the ratchet wrench got jammed against the cat when the entire stud came out. I ended up having to break the shoulder off the nut to slide the wrench over the stud and then I could remove nut, stud and wrench.

I hope the new sport cats are easier to install. It appears they have more clearance between the flange and cat body.

I am still trying to find a tool to remove the oxygen sensors from the cats. I can loosen the ones closest to the muffler but haven't found a wrench that will allow me to get on those closest to the turbo. I may try dropping the cat end of he muffler assembly down a bit with the sensors attached supported by jack stands and then see if I have enough room. I have not been able to find an 22mm angled crowfoot wrench at Sears or any of the local auto parts stores but I may go to a tool supply store today.

Thanks again for your advice.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I used a regular 22 mm hand wrench, I dropped the whole can/system down and did it when it was lowered, should be just enough slack, or disconnect the sensor wires from the top and drop the whole thing out. If you're leaving the bumper in place, it helps to have somebody pull on it to give the muffler enough clearance to drop down.
GL, I've felt your pain!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I am going to try your suggestion of dropping the whole assembly down on jack stands and remove the sensors that way. Thanks. I'll let you know if that works on my car.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:44 AM
TT Surgeon, I have another question. Do you have to remove the 4 star bolts holding the muffler mounting assembly or is disconnecting the two straps sufficient? I have the straps disconnected and the muffler assembly will move up and down and side to side somewhat but will not disengage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust torque specifications