997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My techart gt street vs my gtr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:26 PM
NITEALB is infamous around these parts
My techart gt street vs my gtr

Hello guys, i've used this forum for info puroposes for a long time but this is my first post. i don't want this to turn into any kind of inflammatory post just wanna pass on my experience with both cars. I'm just cutting and pasting what i posted on nagtroc some days ago.

POST FROM NAGTROC "Hello all, I'm a new member to the GTR forum and community having purchased my GTR 2 weeks ago. I've noticed there has been plenty of trash talked about the GTR on many forums and everybody seems to have an opinion on the vehicle. I also own a Techart GT Street and have put the two cars togther at a local track (toronto motorsports park) for a side by side comparison and I feel that I can give an informed and unbiased opinion on both cars. I personally don't think the GTR is a pretty car to look at but I bought it with the intention of flipping it for a profit.

From several roll races my friend and I found that there is no comparison whatsover in power. The Techart simply runs away from the GTR from any speed from 50km/h and up. I see no point in doing a race from the dig because hard launches will trash any tranny in the end after repeated abuse. The distance between the two cars simply reflects a 150hp deficit - not close at all. At the racetrack the 1st time out I ran the GTR on the bridgestone potenza's with stock alignment (whatever that was) and with 1200 km on the clock. The techart has had some alignment work done (correcting and dialing out much of the moderate understeer and its transition to huge oversteer). The car also has 19 inch HRE wheels with michelin sport cups on it. The result was the GTR was consistently 0.4 secs quicker round the track. I ran the test back to back in both cars giving allowance for 3 warm up lap and 5 hot laps and I had my friend drive the cars in a likewise manner. The lap times were a complete suprise and i'll be honest - i wanted the porsche to win. since then we've applied the same principles but changed to rubber on the gtr to the sp 600 dunlops and went for the track alignment. the dealer told me that my car's alignment was slightly out of spec. the result this time was the same, except the gap between the two cars was on average 0.8-1 second(s). The funny thing is that the porsche gets al least 10-15km/h greater terminal speed by the end of the two main straights. it also brakes better (it feels this way). the feel of the porsche is much better, steering feel, brake feel, engine sound etc etc, but it's unfortunately slower. i'm very impressed to say the least with gtr. my techart is 2 seconds a lap quicker than my 997 turbo (chip, lowering springs, exhaust and cup tires) and thats what i found even more surprising. the place where the gtr really excels is corner exit speed, you can simply get out of almost corner quicker in the gtr. my only concern with gtr is longevity. how much track punishment can it take with out major issues. the porsche has seen many lapping days and i've only had to replace brake pads (for ceramic brakes), change engine oil and new tires. the gtr seems to have a slight shudder in the right side after two lapping days but we think that seems to due to brake pad smearing. braking performance hasn't been affected but a slight shake under hard braking is noticeable. From what i can see this GTR is the real deal and is simply fantastic on the track. the weak link is poor oem tire choices (dunlops are better than the bridgstones). Looking forward to lapping again tommorow.
Thx guys
Niteal"

since that comparison i've found that the brake shudder is indeed a warped front rotor. can't say i'm impressed having a rotor that warps after not much more than 3-4 trackdays! the GTR really needs a proper braking system with more efficient cooling. on a side note, the fuel economy of the gtr on the track is shocking, i've never seen a fuel needle drop so quickly.

anyways, both are fantatic cars, the porsche is still the pretty one and the one i'd like to keep for a long time. the gtr just does all the track stuff wonderfully well and its hard to argue against such solid performance. thanks for reading guys.
Niteal.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Porschedeisgn is infamous around these parts
great post.. looks like the gtr is really speedy out of corners..

I wonder what porsche and TA is going to do in response.. A souped up turbo is still no match for the godzilla?

Anyway any pics of your TA hee?

Last edited by Porschedeisgn; 10-26-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:52 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Good writeup. I agree that GTR is an extraordinary performer for the price, but quite fugly compared to the TT.

GTR=Hot date

TT=The one you marry.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tortesq1
GTR=Hot date
TT=The one you marry.
Agreed.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by tortesq1
Good writeup. I agree that GTR is an extraordinary performer for the price, but quite fugly compared to the TT.

GTR=Hot date

TT=The one you marry.
agreed, but marry the tt and keep the gtr on the side.....

Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Nico is infamous around these partsNico is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NITEALB
agreed, but marry the tt and keep the gtr on the side.....

Old 10-26-2008, 02:45 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
pics?

Old 10-26-2008, 02:49 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Never seem to be enough pics right Bobby?

Old 10-26-2008, 03:02 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Well...I was going to say "pics or BS..." but I thought I would be polite.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:04 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
HAHA - i knew where you were going with it. I still want to see pics as well of the PDK porsche that had problems. So far he seems to be locked up at Pistonheads.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:19 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Ok let me get this straight. You have a GT Street, and modded 997 TT and never felt the desire to actually join the site until you got a GT-R to post about? What are the lap times? Sorry but in light of all the trolls, and you being a noob to both places, I think a little further information would be helpful.

And yeah, pics would be great too.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:40 PM
i'll post pics of both cars but i dunno how... i know its it sounds daft. i'll have the pics of the two cars together at the track within the next few days when my friend sends them, in the mean time if someone could show me how to or give an email address i'll send you the pics to post for me. i hate having to justify myself for others but i see ur point with regards to trolls. however, there is a gentleman by the name of Jamie on these boards (carrera gt and turbo cab) who down the street from me who i'm sure would verify my "story."
cheers.

http://www.e46toronto.ca/forums/show...7&page=7&pp=10 (link to some photography of the techart one week before i picked up the gtr, pages 7 and 3 the one to look for i think.)

Last edited by NITEALB; 10-26-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:42 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Niteal, those are nice pictures of a sweet looking car. I would like to ask though what kind of lapping is done without helmets? Are you a novice track driver? In all fairness to make any kind of reasonable comparison between the two cars lapping potential, there has to be a driver of some advanced driving skills. From the magazines reviews I get the impression that the GTR is a very easy car to drive at speed, and would expect to see it respond more favorably in the hands of a beginner driver than a 911 variant. Great looking car and welcome to 6speed!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by eclou
Niteal, those are nice pictures of a sweet looking car. I would like to ask though what kind of lapping is done without helmets? Are you a novice track driver? In all fairness to make any kind of reasonable comparison between the two cars lapping potential, there has to be a driver of some advanced driving skills. From the magazines reviews I get the impression that the GTR is a very easy car to drive at speed, and would expect to see it respond more favorably in the hands of a beginner driver than a 911 variant. Great looking car and welcome to 6speed!

thank you for the advice regarding helmets - this was a private lapping day where helmets were not required. as far as my skills go, i'm normally one of the quickest at hpde days but recently i've taken to private days (including my own) as i find them less "restrictive" when it comes to passing rules. yes you're right about the gtr being very easy to drive, i've had the techart for a while now and i've posted around 2000 track kms on it and maybe 30 hot laps in the gtr and i was quicker in the gtr. more importantly, the porsche has never had any issues whatsoever despite extened periods of track time. That would be my main concern for the gtr - how long will all its components hold up to sustained track abuse - i've already toasted the front rotors and pads! anyways thx for the input mate
cheers.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
great write up. I believe you pick up your GT Street from Pfaff not too long ago. Good to have one in TO. Send pics to my e-mail raymondpoon@hotmail.com I will host them for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My techart gt street vs my gtr