997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Keithta's Protomotive 997TT - New 60-130 Record & 1/4 Mile Trap Speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:46 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Pardon my English but what do you mean by Sharpshooting and may be I am wrong but that what I was also told by many people inlcuding my tuner that due to diff gearing 5 speed TipS is slower 60-130 then 6 speed manual...please eloborate on this and explain if you can...

while I know nothing about porsche tiptronic, I do know a bit about drag racing. How many competetive stick shift cars do you see in drag racing. Hardly any at all

Old 10-31-2008, 07:20 AM
TRK
TRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to behold
Awesome!

Now those times are getting truly impressive
After running shanes car to high 130's, I knew your car would be faster with the manual through the 1/4, mph anyhow.... And that was already a sick ride.
It's funny about the 60-130 thing... We've actually seen improvements in times starting from 1st gear in some cars vs. just 3rd and 4th. They're all a little different.
Now, get those bling bling rims off there and run something that has traction

Old 10-31-2008, 07:47 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Two cars; one TIP, one 6-speed making equal power to the ground....the TIP will be faster 60-130. I already explained the reasons above.

FYI...the current record 60-130 street car (3.9) is an Auto. Same reasons apply.

but on Dyno TipS makes less power then 6 speed manual...torgue converter looses more power...

Old 10-31-2008, 07:53 AM
TRK
TRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to behold
As he said, 'two cars, making EQUAL POWER TO THE GROUND', the tip would be faster.
That immediately implies that the tip would require more power to the engine, to make the same power to the ground.
We just did Shanes car, 997tt tip with the same gt3071r package as Keith, and at the same boost levels it runs 139mph through the 1/4 mile vs. Keith's running a few mph higher...
So, same power at the crank and the tip is slower than the manual.
Even on the dyno, it was taking about .15 bar more to make the same power to the wheels vs. the manual, and that's about 37-40hp difference between the two. We figured it was about a 6% loss to the ground with a tip.

make sense yet???

Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 AM
AudiRS is infamous around these parts
Two cars; one TIP, one 6-speed making equal power to the ground....the TIP will be faster 60-130. I already explained the reasons above.

FYI...the current record 60-130 street car (3.9) is an Auto. Same reasons apply.
What he said.

Although not relevant to the 60-130 time, the TIP shifts into 4th at around 135mph and the rpms drop to 4900-5000 where it dies off compared to a 6speed.
So in reality, the 6spd is only faster at 140+ mph

Old 10-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
it isn't so much power as it is reaction time in the tranny. 1/4 mile isn't about speed, the lowest time wins. Which means that you can have a more powerfull car against a car with less power but better gearing and tranny and in the 1/4 the better tranny car will get the best time. Since I assume these cars require 2 shifts to do the 60-130, each shift in a stick versus an auto you probably loose a tenth or two per shift. That equals a lot of time.

Try to run a 5 speed stick in the quarter against a 3 speed auto set up to run out of gear at the end of the 1/4. The auto will beat it in time, even though it's trap speed may be lower.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Keithtacongrats bro .. and thats great news , whats ur next step ?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:00 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Keithta congrats bro .. and thats great news , whats ur next step ?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 AM
keitha shoot us some videos and race the Zo6 again :P

Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by TRK
As he said, 'two cars, making EQUAL POWER TO THE GROUND', the tip would be faster.
That immediately implies that the tip would require more power to the engine, to make the same power to the ground.
We just did Shanes car, 997tt tip with the same gt3071r package as Keith, and at the same boost levels it runs 139mph through the 1/4 mile vs. Keith's running a few mph higher...
So, same power at the crank and the tip is slower than the manual.
Even on the dyno, it was taking about .15 bar more to make the same power to the wheels vs. the manual, and that's about 37-40hp difference between the two. We figured it was about a 6% loss to the ground with a tip.

make sense yet???
Yes...but how come then VTG TipS is faster then manual in 1/4 my previous car did 0-60 in 2.4 and 0-100 in 5.9...10.4 at 132.9 in 1/4...I didnt see any manual running those times yet

May I also ask...How is the turbo la lag with G30s on TipS ??? and from which RPMS did you launch Shanes car in 1/4...???

How do TipS works overall with bigger turbos ???

Old 11-01-2008, 02:25 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Yes...but how come then VTG TipS is faster then manual in 1/4 my previous car did 0-60 in 2.4 and 0-100 in 5.9...10.4 at 132.9 in 1/4...I didnt see any manual running those times yet

May I also ask...How is the turbo la lag with G30s on TipS ??? and from which RPMS did you launch Shanes car in 1/4...???

How do TipS works overall with bigger turbos ???
GT RUS: ** As far as turbo lag is concerned, boost starts to come on at around 3200 rpms. **

yalmutawa: Will be building my motor and doing the cams and heads in time and upping the size of the turbos and intercoolers. Shooting for 1000 whp.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:45 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
hope you're planning for axles and etc.... plus some serious clutch and transmission modifications.... otherwise it's power but not "usable" power. a daring project nonetheless.... keep in mind that kim's SPI build was in the 10's for the quarter mile running stock axles and etc... so just plan on replacing stock components after a while.

naked ambition, though.... congratulations.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Cams and head for stock internals motor ???

Old 11-02-2008, 05:25 PM
VBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud of
Wrong. Tips are faster than manuals in 60-130 because there are no delays caused from shifting and no loss in boost between shifts.

Now stop sharpshooting.
This is not entirely true in the application (my car) that GT RUS is talking about. The boost is interrupted momentarily during gear changes. This is to help keep the gearbox safe as we are putting a lot more hp to the ground than stock. Also, tip cars weigh more than 6 speeds.

Aaron

Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 PM
VBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud of
keithta, congrats on getting some really awesome times out of your car with your Vbox. I can imagine how great that felt to get all the issues resolved and have it running tip top. I know how it feels to run sub 6 second 60-130mph times and it is a very cool rush.

Aaron

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Keithta's Protomotive 997TT - New 60-130 Record & 1/4 Mile Trap Speed