997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just did a porsche driving tour thru Germany

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:27 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Just did a porsche driving tour thru Germany

Just got back from an amazing trip to Germany. I've always wanted to do this and have never been to Germany - amazing when you consider I work for a German company.
I had to go for a quick 2 day meeting and knew I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to extend my stay (as well as the free business class ticket LOL).
I had read several reviews from people who have done the spring or fall "treffen" with a company called fast lane travel (www.fastlanetravel.com). The company is owned by a gentleman by the name of Peter Sontag - an Austrian living now in florida. He's been doing porsche tours for 35 years. His typical tours are 7 or 10 days and can take you up to 5 different countries. When I say everything is done 1st class that is an understatement. All the best hotels, restaurants, etc. There are factory porsche drivers on each trip and all your luggage is waiting for you when you get to your next hotel.
My trip to my office in Erlangen was a last second thing - only had about a week to plan. I contacted Peter and inquired if he would do an individual trip for me for 4 days or so. He replied immediately and said he definitely could. So, for the next few days we spoke via e-mail as he started to make all the arrangements.
He sent me an itinerary with hotels, routes, restaurants, sites, etc. and followed up with a call two days before I left to discuss and go over the maps and to see if I had any questions. He also gave me the home and cell phone number of a retired porsche exec. who was a good friend of his just so that I had someone to call in case I needed anything or got into trouble.
I would be starting the trip in Stuttgart and he had made reservations for me at the Graf Zeppelin hotel (suite) as well as dinner reservations that first night. When I checked in they knew exactly who I was and informed me that my car would be delivered to me 1st thing in the morning.
I first stopped in Nuremburg on my way to Stuttgart and visited the old city where I had lunch:

I got into Stuttgart later in the day so was losing some light when I took this pic of one of the former King's residences:

Had a great dinner and was ready for some serious driving the next day.
Sure enough, went down to the front desk after Breakfast and my car was waiting for me. converted the NAV to english and was on my way to Fussen and later to my hotel on Lake Tegernsee, Bavaria. First stop was Neuschwanstein to see the castles (disney used to model Cinderella's castle after).

From here I went into Fussen for some sight seeing and lunch. The weather was absolutely perfect (rare for Nov. in Germany) about 65 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

I then drove on some incredibly scenic roads with the Alps to my south to Rottach-Egern diredctly on Lake Tegernsee. The views were unreal and pictures just don't do it justice.

I had reservations that night at the Seehotel Uberfahrt right on the lake. Here's the view from my balcony

For some reason the restaurant did not seem to know that my dinner was already paid for and included with my stay. I wasn't worried as I had spoken enough with Peter that I knew it would be taken of. That night in my room I sent him an e-mail to ask him about my route for the next day. He had given me two options thru Austria before I left, which was based on the weather. bad weather (which we expected) and I would take the Austrian autobahn; if it was nice I would go thru the mountains. Since it was a (another) beautiful day and the night sky looked clear I asked for some more info. on some mountain roads. As an FYI I also mentioned the restaurant not knowing about my dinner.
Within 10 minutes my room phone rang and it was Peter! He had already contacted the hotel manager and straightened out the mistake the restaurant made, and then spent 30 minutes with me on the phone as we both looked at our maps to plan out a great route for tomorrow.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:30 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I can't even begin to describe the roads that I drove the next day. For several hours i was in auto nirvana! Ended up in downtown Innsbruck and then took the austrian autobahn straight into Lindau and my hotel on Lake Constance, across from Switzerland.
A sampling of some of what I experienced - how'd you like to do this for hours?!

After some amazing roads and some very cool (and long) tunnels on the Austrian Autobahn I checked into the Hotel Bayerischer Hof right on the lake across from Switzerland. Unfortunately, the fog started to roll in so my view wasn't what it could have been. Here's a pic from my balcony.

The next day was the "high-speed" day on my way to the medieval village of rothenburg, which dates to ca. 970. An amazing walled city, home of the museum of torture and punishment amongst other things!
Hour after hour of 150mph + driving was the story of the day. Hit about 180 for a short while but was mostly between 150 to 165. The best part was coming up on a cop in the left lane doing about 150 only to see him put on his blinker and move over and out of my way!! Wish my camera was on the front seat instead of packed away. would have made for a great photo!
The roads are absolutely pristine and the people know how to drive. No left lane hogging a-holes, no passing on the right. It's a pleasure and I've been ruined for ever. It's a joke owning my car in this country.
If someone up ahead in the middle past someone and moved into the left and your coming up on them, they actually SPEED UP so they can pass the guy more quickly and get out of your way! It's mind boggling. It's so oragnized and so comfortable to drive this way. Doing 65 on the Long Island Expressway is by far much more dangerous.
Made it into Rothenburg and it is an amazing place. About 40% of the city was bombed in the war but was rebuilt. Here's the former town hall.

Continued my high speed run into Stuttgart and stopped at the Mercedes museum. This place is absolutely incredible!! A must see if your ever over there.

The original SLR

Here are a few other pics from the museum

From here I went back to the hotel in Stuttgart and just left the porsche in front of the hotel as I was instructed to do. Had dinner and hung out with all the other locals at a very cool outdoor shopping/hang out kind of area.
The next morning I was going to take the train to the airport in Frankfurt. Before I left home Peter mailed my train ticket so I had that in advance. Here's the level of detail this guy goes to when he books a trip. I walked up to the front desk to check out and the guy behind the desk called over this old, deadly serious German bellhop and informed me that he was going to walk me across the street and put me on the correct train, per Peter. So, here's this old guy in his uniform pulling my suitcase (I was almost jogging trying to keep up with him LOL) across the street, up the stairs and into the "hauptbahnof" heading to the appropriate train track. Needless to say, we got some strange looks. We stopped at the track and in very broken english he says "you wait here, train come, you get on". and then he left.
I had an amazing time and driving in Germany is something every car nut needs to do (although it will ruin you when you get back here). The most impressive thing though was the absolute fanatical attention to detail that Peter Sontag and Fast Lane travel put into arranging a trip.
this was just an individual, last second trip - you should check out his site for some of his formal itineraries. it will blow you away.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:38 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Sounds like you had fun. Great pics...

Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Awesome experience, but not even a single photo of the porsche? come on

Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
infanterene is infamous around these parts
Nice trip and pics.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Spyderidol is infamous around these parts
Fantastic pictures!

I stayed at the Graf Zeppelin hotel many years ago.(1973)

Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 AM
2008911tt is infamous around these parts
Looks like you had a great trip. Good pictures.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Great trip.

I'll definately check that out.

I live in Zurich right now and was at some of the same places as you very recently (Rothenburg, Stuttgart) congrats on a great trip and nice pictures.

Thanks for sharing,

Trevor

Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Dutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond reputeDutchie has a reputation beyond repute
I have to do this for myself. Rent a RS4 across the border in Germany (€270,- / day) and just keep it for a few days and drive. A friend did it and it was amazing he told me.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM
ronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud of
Slate - thanks for the pics and great trip story. Did you have any pics of the car you drove on the tour?

Last edited by ronole; 11-12-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 PM
the Dragon is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Dang. This brings back a lot of memories from my time living in Eastern Europe

Glad you enjoyed the stay and keep the photos coming

Old 11-13-2008, 04:33 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Great trip

Old 11-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Great trip and photos.

Living in England it's so much easier for us do this. I love Germany - the food, the roads, the 'ring and the beer. I went to the Nurburgring about 5 times last year. Only been to the 'ring once this year and separately to the factory to collect my GT2.

Rothenberg looks great, I'll make sure I visit there in future.

I also remember the first time I passed a Police-car, doing 150mph in my then 993 RS. It felt really weird, doing it legally.....

The Mercedes factory is amazing, I was very impressed, cannot wait to go to the new Porsche museum.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 PM
knightka is infamous around these parts
Amazing trip. Great pictures!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 PM
RandomName is infamous around these parts
great trip. is this the only tour company to rent Porsche from or there are others for comparison?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just did a porsche driving tour thru Germany