997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Leather visor install w/ DIY pics - on a (my) 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
BSM
BSM is infamous around these parts
Leather visor install w/ DIY pics - on a (my) 997TT

First off, THANK YOU to the team at SunCoast for 1) such great service, and 2) for offering hard-to-find OEM items like these leather visors. Special thanks to Aaron at SunCoast for help on this and many prior orders!

I have some of the key leather options on my 997TT, but somehow overlooked optioning out the visors in leather. The good news doing this after-market is that SunCoast was able to get the European leather visors WITHOUT the airbag warning decals.

The install is pretty simple, all you need is a hex bit screw driver. There is no electrical connection to worry about for the lighted mirrors as these are powered by the low-voltage connection that engages/disengages the visor on the non-pivot side (if that makes sense).

Small WARNING! Be careful when removing the existsing clip covers as the 4 small tension mounts can break... I managed to break 1 of the 4 on each of the old visors when prying them off - maybe I was too aggressive, and probably don't care b/c these are the OLD visors, but if you plan on reselling them, be careful.

BEFORE the install...

The NEW visors from SunCoast!

Here's the hex bit you need (I just happened to have it, not sure what size)...

Carefully pry off the cover...

Just one hex screw to remove...

View w/ visor removed...

Pop in the new leather visor, screw it back in w/ original screw, and then carefully press the cover back on until all 4 clips click in...

Done! (my camera flash washed out the visor lights in the pic, but they work perfect)

Driver's side...

Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 AM
BSM
A couple more pics post-install...

And some pics comparing the 2 different visors side-by-side...

Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Night and day

Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Nothing beats great DIY. Nice job.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:23 PM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Stitch ( Dev )

I hope you do the Dome light cover next...

Gee-Bee

Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
How much were the new visors?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:50 PM
BSM
Originally Posted by GEE-BEE
I hope you do the Dome light cover next...

Gee-Bee
Yes, definitly the next leather item to do, followed (maybe) by the leather door sill edge covers... these areas, however, are much less offensive in standard form vs the cheapo standard visors w/ the loud warnings decals.

BTW, I just did the gear shift trim in leather (option code CDZ) as well, another item I overlooked when ordering the car... this was a big pain as I had to find a VIN of a car w/ that option in correct leather color in order to do it - took 3 months to get it from Germany, and wasn't cheap (item was only around $400, but the labor was a couple of hrs at dealer, had to remove rear center console, etc).

This is Atomic80's pic, but looks like this...

Old 11-18-2008, 12:54 PM
BSM
Originally Posted by raclaims
How much were the new visors?
Full set from SunCoast is $839.95 - this was about $200 cheaper than my local dealer quoted me. Expensive, but is something I "see" in the car often and love that they can order the Euro (non-decal) version.

Here's a link to their website...

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ode=997Leather

Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Does the dome lamp cover come with the stitching? I tried ordering from Gert a while ago but it did not come with the stitching.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 PM
BSM
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Does the dome lamp cover come with the stitching? I tried ordering from Gert a while ago but it did not come with the stitching.
The SunCoast one is custom ordered from the factory, does come w/ stitching (as seen here)... this is next on my list.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Excellent!! Thanks.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 PM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
Bijan, first off, thank you so much for your extremely kind words. The visors also look great! Aaron isn't in today, but I'll make sure that he gets a look at this thread when he gets back in the office tomorrow

E55AMG, the stitched dome light can be a harder part to find, but shoot me a phone call and I can see what I can do for you.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BSM
The SunCoast one is custom ordered from the factory, does come w/ stitching (as seen here)... this is next on my list.

Hey...that one's mine...get your own! Just kidding...

...it should be here tommorow...will post pics as well.

Nice write up.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:29 PM
BSM
Originally Posted by SuncoastSteve
Bijan, first off, thank you so much for your extremely kind words. The visors also look great! Aaron isn't in today, but I'll make sure that he gets a look at this thread when he gets back in the office tomorrow

E55AMG, the stitched dome light can be a harder part to find, but shoot me a phone call and I can see what I can do for you.
Steve - it is well deserved - I appreciate that someone out there "gets it", offering difficult (or impossible) to find parts at reasonable prices... Jeez, I sound like a commercial!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:33 PM
BSM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Hey...that one's mine...get your own! Just kidding...
I misappropriated your photo!

That dome lamp cover in leather looks awesome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather visor install w/ DIY pics - on a (my) 997TT