997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Not IF, but WHEN?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:20 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Kafka,

I believe you will be very happy with this mod. Of all the "features" on my Turbo: PCCB, HRE wheel, Cargraphic Exhaust, Bilstein, etc., I actually would rank Bilstein as the single most important because it alone transforms the "feel" of the Turbo. After the mod, I actually went back and "rented" a stock Turbo to confirm I did the right thing: Yes indeed the stock Turbo is (IMHO) a very ponderous and soft car. Irritatingly so.

BTW, credit should go to the guinea pigs ahead of me. I believe Alpine/eclou/Atomic were first with this mod. And add Sportec to the list of extremely reputable tuner who picks Bilstein for their car (latest Excellence Magazine reviewe). You simply can't go wrong with this mod.

Hi March997TT,

Do what you are comfortable with, but here is my experience with the sway bars. When I started the modding, I actually did my mods in separate steps, sway bar first, then Bilstein, then Tarett drop links. The process costs more but was important to me because I wanted to know "who does what" in case there is something I don't like. You could read my experience in that long thread in my signature but here are the 3 main points:
1. The effect of the sway by itself, without Bilstein coilover, is very subtle. In the middle setting of the GMG sway bars, all I found is that the steering feel was tighter -- rock the steering wheel back and forth on the freeway -- the car responds to your command quicker. As far as reducing leaning in corner, I found that the sway bar by itself won't (and can't) do much.
2. Ideally the setting of sway bars is front soft, rear stiff -- to reduce the Turbo's tendency to understeer, but in practice the rear stiff setting could affect ride a lot. If you think about it, in some way, stiff sway makes your car behaves like it has a solid axle when one wheel hits a road bump. In my case, it makes the car feel punishingly stiff.
3. Tarett drop links will enhance the effect of the sway bars. Sometimes I wonder if my first step should have been to keep the stock sways and just upgrade to the Tarett drop links.

Originally Posted by Kafka997
After reading the comments, especially Cannga's, and thinking about it I have changed my priorities and ordered the Bilstein Damps. I'll revisit the ECU, headers, intecoolers in the spring. I'm looking forward to the new "ride."
Thanks for the input.
K.

Old 12-10-2008 | 07:51 AM
|
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
I will leave the ECU flash to later but would be interested in knowing if anyone is running headers and IDP plenum (and intercoolers?) without the flash. Any CELs? Is the power, and the "feel" (power curve etc.) improved? I'll post my experience of the Bilstein Damps next month when the get install and I have some driving time with them (in the snow of course).
K.

Old 12-10-2008 | 01:53 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
I will leave the ECU flash to later but would be interested in knowing if anyone is running headers and IDP plenum (and intercoolers?) without the flash. Any CELs? Is the power, and the "feel" (power curve etc.) improved? I'll post my experience of the Bilstein Damps next month when the get install and I have some driving time with them (in the snow of course).
K.
IMHO you are making a big mistake. The ecu flash + exhaust is the biggest bang for the buck you will see. For me those two changes were amazing. I think you are waisting money with the plenum and intercoolers at this point.

Old 12-10-2008 | 03:40 PM
|
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Yup

I hear you and agree. However, I track my car in hot ambient conditions (at times 100+) so I will need the intercoolers when I get around to the ECU flash. I like to go in stages to feel the changes so just wanted to know if anyone else has gone down this path instead doing the whole kit in one bang.
I find mixed reviews re the plenum. I don't care about the few extra alleged horsepower but I would be interested if it reduced turbo lag and or smoothed out the power curve.
K.

Old 12-10-2008 | 11:30 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
I hear you and agree. However, I track my car in hot ambient conditions (at times 100+) so I will need the intercoolers when I get around to the ECU flash. I like to go in stages to feel the changes so just wanted to know if anyone else has gone down this path instead doing the whole kit in one bang.
I find mixed reviews re the plenum. I don't care about the few extra alleged horsepower but I would be interested if it reduced turbo lag and or smoothed out the power curve.
K.
I installed the plenum and quite frankly didn't notice any difference. I feel it would probably help, if I were to do the ECU flash, but I paid extra for an extended warranty so that seems unlikely in my case. The money spent for a plenum and its' installation might be better spent on an exhaust or ECU flash. Like most people here I agree that a suspension upgrade is the best starting point for modifications.

Old 12-14-2008 | 09:53 AM
MAR997TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
Kafka,

I believe you will be very happy with this mod. Of all the "features" on my Turbo: PCCB, HRE wheel, Cargraphic Exhaust, Bilstein, etc., I actually would rank Bilstein as the single most important because it alone transforms the "feel" of the Turbo. After the mod, I actually went back and "rented" a stock Turbo to confirm I did the right thing: Yes indeed the stock Turbo is (IMHO) a very ponderous and soft car. Irritatingly so.

BTW, credit should go to the guinea pigs ahead of me. I believe Alpine/eclou/Atomic were first with this mod. And add Sportec to the list of extremely reputable tuner who picks Bilstein for their car (latest Excellence Magazine reviewe). You simply can't go wrong with this mod.

Hi March997TT,

Do what you are comfortable with, but here is my experience with the sway bars. When I started the modding, I actually did my mods in separate steps, sway bar first, then Bilstein, then Tarett drop links. The process costs more but was important to me because I wanted to know "who does what" in case there is something I don't like. You could read my experience in that long thread in my signature but here are the 3 main points:
1. The effect of the sway by itself, without Bilstein coilover, is very subtle. In the middle setting of the GMG sway bars, all I found is that the steering feel was tighter -- rock the steering wheel back and forth on the freeway -- the car responds to your command quicker. As far as reducing leaning in corner, I found that the sway bar by itself won't (and can't) do much.
2. Ideally the setting of sway bars is front soft, rear stiff -- to reduce the Turbo's tendency to understeer, but in practice the rear stiff setting could affect ride a lot. If you think about it, in some way, stiff sway makes your car behaves like it has a solid axle when one wheel hits a road bump. In my case, it makes the car feel punishingly stiff.
3. Tarett drop links will enhance the effect of the sway bars. Sometimes I wonder if my first step should have been to keep the stock sways and just upgrade to the Tarett drop links.
Cannga,

Thought I had replied but not sure where the post went

I appreciate the response and I'm looking into your suggestions. Currently I am contemplating going for something more aggressive like the Moton Clubsport dampners with Eibach Springs and GMG sway bar and everything else in between. You see I dont really drive my car much so I do expect a lot of performance from it when I do take the car out, plus I am looking to track the car a lot more.

I might actually try the drop links first and post my feedback. Why did you go with Tarett? Do you know anybody there I can talk to put in my order?
Did you got front and rear? They dont seem to have the products for the 997TT on the website.

Old 12-14-2008 | 12:03 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
TRG has some nice drop links too.

Old 12-14-2008 | 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
TRG has some nice drop links too.
Nice as in better or cheaper ?

Have you tried them? Do you have a contact?

Old 12-14-2008 | 12:22 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Not cheap, TRG specializes in Porsche road racing components. I don't know anything about the Tarret stuff.
Talk to Peter Thomas at TRG
peter@theracersgroup.com

Old 12-14-2008 | 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Not cheap, TRG specializes in Porsche road racing components. I don't know anything about the Tarret stuff.
Talk to Peter Thomas at TRG
peter@theracersgroup.com

Thanks! Going to get in contact with them and see what we can do.

What mods have you done so far?

Old 12-14-2008 | 03:01 PM
I have a few mods from Champion Motorsports. Tubi exhaust, Giac ECU flash, Champion/H&R springs, Champion RS 171 wheels ( custom painted British Black), Michelin sport cups, and a GT2 rear sway bar. Not too extreme, a daily driver that works well on the track.

Old 12-14-2008 | 10:28 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
If you are at advanced level tracking and modding, never mind me, but if you are not, might want to be careful about Motons. Motons are considered to be among the very best, but should be reserved for experienced installer AND advanced level users who track cars a majority of the time and who are able to give the tuner feedbacks so bump/rebound rates and spring rates could be adjusted. Plus nothing comes free, there are trade-offs as you make the car stiffer (more prone to go airborne with bumps for example) and there are people who track the Turbo just fine with Bilstein. Which ever way you choose, good luck and have fun.

I mentioned both Tarett and Racer Groups as the source of drop links in that thread in my signature. The Racer Groups drop links are fine. I vaguely recall from my (very intensive ) internet research they were the first to come up with the idea of using heim joint in drop links for Porsche street cars -- either them or ERP, anyone please correct me if I am wrong. They are the REAL deal.

I used Tarett because more people on Rennlist use them lately, the web site lists the Tarett drop links specifically for the Turbo (click on the drop down arrow to see 997 Turbo listed), they have impecable reputation & service, and at the time I installed mine, I only know of people using Tarett for the Turbo. But if Racer Groups have ones that fit, I would have no problem using them either.

BTW, Tarett is an incredible toy store that I never tire of visiting. For example check out this thing -- bladed rear sway bar kit!! http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...ssy-detail.htm
The owner is Ira and he will answer your email instantly with lots of helpful information.

Originally Posted by MAR997TT
Cannga,

Thought I had replied but not sure where the post went

I appreciate the response and I'm looking into your suggestions. Currently I am contemplating going for something more aggressive like the Moton Clubsport dampners with Eibach Springs and GMG sway bar and everything else in between. You see I dont really drive my car much so I do expect a lot of performance from it when I do take the car out, plus I am looking to track the car a lot more.

I might actually try the drop links first and post my feedback. Why did you go with Tarett? Do you know anybody there I can talk to put in my order?
Did you got front and rear? They dont seem to have the products for the 997TT on the website.

Last edited by cannga; 12-14-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2008 | 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by cannga
If you are at advanced level tracking and modding, never mind me, but if you are not, might want to be careful about Motons. Motons are considered to be among the very best, but should be reserved for experienced installer AND advanced level users who track cars a majority of the time and who are able to give the tuner feedbacks so bump/rebound rates and spring rates could be adjusted. Plus nothing comes free, there are trade-offs as you make the car stiffer (more prone to go airborne with bumps for example) and there are people who track the Turbo just fine with Bilstein. Which ever way you choose, good luck and have fun.

I have gotten that feedback from a few other people, and no Im not at an advanced tracking level. From what I have been researching the Moton Club Sport kits can be adjusted for street use. I do not drive my car that often anyway [2years 9,500 KM] and wanted to track it more. The other thing I like about the suspension kits other than Bilstein is the fact that you get to learn about your car much more. With the PSS10 you simply plug and play, which is great if you want something hassle free. Plus my friend just came back from the Essen show and tells me they have a new prototype suspension for the 997, will have to wait for him to get back and Ill give an update.

I do appreciate the feedback from someone who has done the research since I haven't made my decision yet but looking to seal the deal beg of 09.

I mentioned both Tarett and Racer Groups as the source of drop links in that thread in my signature. The Racer Groups drop links are fine. I vaguely recall from my (very intensive ) internet research they were the first to come up with the idea of using heim joint in drop links for Porsche street cars -- either them or ERP, anyone please correct me if I am wrong. They are the REAL deal.

I used Tarett because more people on Rennlist use them lately, the web site lists the Tarett drop links specifically for the Turbo (click on the drop down arrow to see 997 Turbo listed), they have impecable reputation & service, and at the time I installed mine, I only know of people using Tarett for the Turbo. But if Racer Groups have ones that fit, I would have no problem using them either.

I have been in contact with TRG and might get them from there since I am looking at other things as well.

BTW, Tarett is an incredible toy store that I never tire of visiting. For example check out this thing -- bladed rear sway bar kit!! http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...ssy-detail.htm
The owner is Ira and he will answer your email instantly with lots of helpful information.
Those look crazy!
Will get in touch with him and figure out something and keep you posted if I decide on anything.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Old 12-15-2008 | 01:30 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MAR997TT
Nice as in better or cheaper ?

Have you tried them? Do you have a contact?
I have the TRG droplinks on my tt and they work great.

Old 12-16-2008 | 05:11 PM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Most of you said bilstein as the first mod. I put PSS9 with adjustable sways in my E46 M3, and i regret it a bit later because:

1. I don't track my cars, but since i like the feeling of the road in the steering and to make quick turns, i thought that the coils would be my next step over the set - stock shocks + Eibach Pro-Kit springs + stronger/adjustable sways.
2. It didn't drop much more than with pro-kit, with the street set.
3. Didn't felt a huge improvement (coils vs springs).
4. Too much trouble finding my perfect set (front vs rear axle height and stiffening).

In the 997TT, i read several post saying that the problem is the soft rate of the springs. So if you are looking only for a 1" drop, will the HR springs be more than enough than spending almost 5x more for the bilstein?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.