997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Not IF, but WHEN?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2008 | 08:11 AM
|
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Not IF, but WHEN?

All the good info on this forum helped me decide upon a modest power package (ECU flash, headers, intercoolers & exhaust -no new turbos) and have my wheels narrowed down to two HRE possibilities. Forum sponsors have been great too. Thanks!

1. The last piece of the puzzle is when to pull the plug for the power kit in relation to warranty. I'm about 1/2 way through my warranty coverage & I know I can kiss most if not all of it good bye when I add the power kit. It goes with the territory. But lots of folks on the forum have added their 997TT power kits (up to 700hp! ) well before their warranty expires. I understand the "need for speed" sooner rather than later. But others seem to have waited for awhile.

I'd like to know your thinking on why you added the kit before (or after) warranty expiration (or maybe I'm just wanting to rationale getting the kit sooner myself?). Is there a tangible benefit waiting for warranty expiration or are the 997TT engines etc. reliable, especially after 20K miles? Advice please! The question of risk is tricky but I thought I'd ask.

2. Some of the people state the power kits "wake up" the TT. Does this mean it's sort of like turning the sport button on times 50? Is it that kind of feel? For me the driving feel matters more than dyno results.

Now, it if would only stop snowing!!!!!!

K.

Old 11-19-2008 | 09:16 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
We have poeple that never even see their cars and simply send them right to us when bought. For me it is easy because if it breaks I ccan fix it, but unlike most I do drive mine daily. That is not the norm. So out of that I get to see what will last and what won't. I have done this with every Porsche I have owned and the one thing I can tell you is on the newer stuff the 700 kit and 27K miles the car has not missed a beat.

It comes down to whether you want to take the risk if something goes bad. History shows us that the odds are slim that will occur. It is what you are comfortable with.

Old 11-19-2008 | 10:23 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I had 5,000m before I added the EVOMSit, but exhaust and suspension were installed asap....most will agree the car needed those badly.

I think most people will look back after flashing their turbos and wish they had performed it sooner, its that good and that much of a wake up for the car its silly.

Old 11-19-2008 | 10:29 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
There are so many issues with the stock program it is not even funny! If you were to do one single mod the ECU should be it. Just the driveablity improvment is worth it.

Old 11-19-2008 | 11:17 AM
turbo498 is infamous around these parts
What exhaust section achieves better performance, the hearders or the back exhaust ? and which product in the market has the best quality and power gains ?

Old 11-19-2008 | 11:23 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Stick to the usual name brand exhausts and all will make decent power, the sound is subjective, just buy what you like the sound of.

Replacing the cats makes the power so the cat on back is the best bet if your doing one (vs. headers). Higher flow cats reduces EGT's and works in harmony with the added boost via the flash.

Old 11-19-2008 | 04:24 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
i had 5,000m before i added the evomsit, but exhaust and suspension were installed asap....most will agree the car needed those badly.

I think most people will look back after flashing their turbos and wish they had performed it sooner, its that good and that much of a wake up for the car its silly.
+1 :d

Old 11-19-2008 | 04:27 PM
|
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
I think most would agree the exhaust is the first to be replaced to let a few more HP and TQ flow (reduce back pressure) and lighten the back end. And let's not forget the great new sound.

The comments on this thread are very useful! Thanks and keep them coming (no product bashing please).
K.

Old 11-19-2008 | 06:27 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I literally picked up my car, drove it home and shipped it to SharkWerks. The difference is certainly noticeable but nowhere near the "sport button times 50." It is a great upgrade, but your expectations need to be reasonable (and I assume they are).

At 20K miles, it seems pretty unlikely you will uncover some previously undetected engine defect. The engines are solid. I would pick a tuner you trust and go for it.

If you are on a budget and drive mostly on the street, I would go 1) exhaust, 2) suspension 3) software. If you are more track oriented then reverse #1 and #2.

Last edited by sparkhill; 11-19-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2008 | 08:17 PM
|
sequence

Originally Posted by sparkhill
I literally picked up my car, drove it home and shipped it to SharkWerks. The difference is certainly noticeable but nowhere near the "sport button times 50." It is a great upgrade, but your expectations need to be reasonable (and I assume they are).

At 20K miles, it seems pretty unlikely you will uncover some previously undetected engine defect. The engines are solid. I would pick a tuner you trust and go for it.

If you are on a budget and drive mostly on the street, I would go 1) exhaust, 2) suspension 3) software. If you are more track oriented then reverse #1 and #2.
Thanks Parkhill.
I use my TT for a variety of driving. It's my daily driver, track car about 15-20 times a year, and even for some long road trips. I've got the exhaust (week after I got the car), and am now looking at headers, intercoolers, plenum, and ECU flash. From the feedback on this forum I am definitely getting pushed in the direction of just doing it sooner rather than later. I agree with the suspension comment but anti-sway bars and camber changes will have to do for now and new suspension will have to wait a year this (car) time around.

I hear only good things about Sharkwerks. Good choice. A good tuner is a must!
K.
P.S. I hear you have some great roads in NV for early morning driving, and some great tracks. Good stuff.

Old 11-19-2008 | 09:24 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Kafka,

Not to be "disagreeable" or anything like that and I know that your decision is set on ECU, but I second sparkhill's comment here. Just my 2 cents, YMMV: I've driven a GT2 and a number of exotic cars like Lambo and F430 (short 20 miles or so distance), in comparison the stock Turbo has the softest spring and suspension calibration of all these cars, by far, and feels like a luxury sedan.

The thread on my signature, first page I think, has a posting where I list the spring rates of the stock Turbo in comparison to GT3 and GT2. One quick look will tell you the stock springs need to go. Car actually will more agile and more powerful once you firm up the suspension.

Increasing power without firming up the suspension will make corner instability, squatting, and "happy rear end" behavior even worse IMHO.

Originally Posted by sparkhill

Last edited by cannga; 11-19-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I began my 997tt project with less than 200 miles . My logic was that I wanted to maximize the enjoyment of every mile on this car . I have other cars BTW which remain stock but not this one.

Most of the respected tuners will stand behind their work .

Likewise the mods themselves are quite reliable otherwise this board would be flooded with posts of problems .

I began gradually and my first set went to the engine (exhaust, headers, intercoolers,intake , Ecu , tips) . I then did the wheels and aerokit on my next install . After that I upgraded the interior a bit with a Techart steering wheel and aluminum shifter/brake.

I thought i was done . I certainly spent enough time and money to feel done but then I made the jump to 700 . It included the clutch and modified Turbos . That was the best mod of all . I can not say enough about how much I love the Evoms Turbos . They are far more seamless in acceleration and pull hard in a more linear manner . They blow away the stock Turbos .

The stage 3 clutch is tricky though . I felt the stock clutch wasn't too great to begin with but the combination of the power assist and engagement took practice .

I have not had one reliability problem to date with 6500 miles on my car.

Last edited by yrralis1; 11-19-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:54 PM
|
Cannaga,
I appreciate your comments, and agree. Part of the difficulty is wanting to have everything in one car: track, daily driver, and long road trips. I went with a very good upgrade coilover package with my last car and loved the set up and that's why I agree with you. However, my wife joins me on my daily drives and long road trips and therein lies the problem (not my wife, read on). Driving is one thing, but being a passenger with the stiffer set up can be uncomfortable, especially over long distances and at our age. That's why I'm leaving the new suspension for awhile, even though I'd love to put it as my next priority. I have "felt" the HUGE difference what a good upgrade coilover (plus ground control, etc.) can make (not with a TT at this point), as you noted in your post. The old cliche is right, you can't have it all (but having a 997 is a good start!).
Thanks.
K.

Old 12-09-2008 | 07:46 AM
|
After reading the comments, especially Cannga's, and thinking about it I have changed my priorities and ordered the Bilstein Damps. I'll revisit the ECU, headers, intecoolers in the spring. I'm looking forward to the new "ride."
Thanks for the input.
K.

Old 12-09-2008 | 08:14 AM
MAR997TT is infamous around these parts
I've had my 99TT for two years now and I'm just starting to add some mods. I had the same warranty concern but at the end of the day I wanted to push my car to its limit before adding stuff. IMO I think you should become comfortable with your car and its performance before jumping to the next level, esp if you are tracking your car 15x a year.

Exhaust wouldn't be bad though plus some of them sound amazing!

Personally, I am going for exhaust, sway bars, air filter, intercoolers [its hot in the desert] rear wing, wheels [Sport cups or Pirelli PZero Corsa] for now.

Next would be clutch, ECU, turbos, suspension

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.