997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Drivers Republic GT2 v GTR around the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Banned
HUGH JASS has a spectacular aura aboutHUGH JASS has a spectacular aura about
We need trolls. I like to hear everyone's point of view. No point in coming here and just hear how great the gt2 is and then go to the nissan forums and hear how great the GTR is. Unfortunately, the nagtroc forums don't really care about the 911. All the arguments are here which is very informative. I'm about to purchase either a 911 Turbo and use it as a daily driver or buy a GTR and use the extra cash to either lease or buy a dd. I'm leaning heavily towards the 911 although I do believe the GTR has the better numbers. But, interiors are just as important as performance. If I buy a Honda Accord daily driver and a GTR , I'm going from a Honda on the weekdays to a Nissan on the weekends . I think in the end, being in a Porsche every day would best. With regard to PR issues, I think Porsche is going to have their hands full with the Panemera. Was their inspiration the 2000 SUX from Robocop?? Boy that thing is hideous.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Objectively, you've got to really like the Turbo to spend the extra if you're buying new.

Used is a different matter - in the UK, Turbo prices have gone through the floor (as have values of everything previously desirable). I was intending to buy a 997 Turbo to use until next Summer, but have decided that just setting fire to the money would be more sensible at the moment.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Banned
HUGH JASS has a spectacular aura aboutHUGH JASS has a spectacular aura about
I hear you. I've purchased used cars all my life until I was 26 and sweared never to do it again especially given that it's a luxury item so it's a tough decision especially with prices on used cars dropping.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Kinesis 996 is infamous around these parts
i think it is kind of stupid to compare the GT2 against the GTR.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Hey Chris I have a track day at thill Dec 1st. Did you sign up for it ? Do you want to ? We can do a head to head test to see what the results would be, same day and amature drivers. We have the same amount of HP so that wont be an issue. Let me know.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'd love to see that one. Please bring video.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:31 PM
psalm23and24 is infamous around these parts
Further proof that speed and raw power is not everything;
I will assume this article is from a reliable source. With that said it's to bad Nissan felt the need to boost the GTR numbers. The GTR is one heck of a car. Test have shown the GTR with lauch control engaged will sprint to 0-60 mph in 3.3 sec and 11.3 sec in the 1/4 mile. If you want proof go to youtube and check it out. It's safe to say that is very quick for a production car. Now the bad news I just read that Nissan will no longer offer launch control on the GTR because of all the problems with the system. With out launch control I'm thinking the GTR can sprint 0-60 mph in 3.5 secs. That's still very quick for a production car and Nissan should be proud! Now for more bad news the BMW 335i (4 door sedan) with JB3 ($700 upgrade)will sprint from 0-60 3.5 seconds and 11.8 in the 1/4 mile. OMG I could not believe a 4 door sedan could put up those kinda numbers. Want proof go to youtube. The 335i coupe is 1 tenth quicker. GT-R Premium starts at $71,900. The 335i starts at $42,000. The Porsche 911 Turbo starts at $120,000.

consider this:
TACTILE FEEL (subjective for sure, but a major part of the purchase to be honest), FEEDBACK AND QUALITY WITHIN A GIVEN PERFORMANCE RANGE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN RAW POWER OR NUMBERS. IMHO, NISSAN LIED IN AN ATTEMPT TO "CREATE" AN ADVANTAGE. THE GT-R IS A GREAT CAR BUT NISSAN WAS DISHONEST. "IF YOU CAN'T TRUST THE MESSENGER, YOU CAN'T TRUST THE MESSAGE". MY .02<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

<!-- / message -->

Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 PM
psalm23and24 is infamous around these parts
I dont own a Porsche so this is not brand defense.If you want value or "bang-for-your-buck" you buy the Gt-R but if you must have "delicacy" and the best, I believe the 911-TT is better (funny enough, I never liked nor owned the 911-TT, but have checked out both the 911-tt AND THE gt-r). I say Porsche GT-3 or Audi R8 (if you have good power, delicay, feel and control is more important); "....what is power without control....." Enough said.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Hey Chris I have a track day at thill Dec 1st. Did you sign up for it ? Do you want to ? We can do a head to head test to see what the results would be, same day and amature drivers. We have the same amount of HP so that wont be an issue. Let me know.
Firstly, I think it is well established that you're faster than me. ;-) Would love to run with you, but Mondays are impossible for me-- plus it is sold out per the NCRC website. $99 is a great deal (unless it rains I guess).

There's a Saturday event up there 12/13. Any chance you can make that one?

I know we both have Traqmate. We could capture some data and share the videos with folks here.

I am hoping to get down to 2:02 range with Dunlaps on the car.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by psalm23and24
I dont own a Porsche so this is not brand defense.If you want value or "bang-for-your-buck" you buy the Gt-R but if you must have "delicacy" and the best, I believe the 911-TT is better (funny enough, I never liked nor owned the 911-TT, but have checked out both the 911-tt AND THE gt-r). I say Porsche GT-3 or Audi R8 (if you have good power, delicay, feel and control is more important); "....what is power without control....." Enough said.
If you want bang for the buck I don't think the GTR is it, yet. There is too high a cost of ownership and a MSRP+ pricing right now. Plus there is always the nagging feeling that "something gonna explode" especially if you want to modify...

The best car for the money currently would be a loaded Z06. It's fast, highly modifiable, reliable and you can get a smokin deal on one at this point in time.

If cost were not a major concern the 997TT is the best car. It's fast, the build quality is far superior to the Nissan or the Z06, it's proven very durable and accepts mods easily.

I am sure the GT-R's shortcomings will be addressed but for the moment I would not touch one unless you just planned to leave it bone stock.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Reliable.......Z06.......... uhhhhhhhhhh

I agree that it's the best bargain, but reliability is not the strong point for either the Z06 or GT-R. To that end the Viper is the best bargain.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:03 PM
checklist_34 is a jewel in the roughchecklist_34 is a jewel in the roughchecklist_34 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Trommel
Objectively, you've got to really like the Turbo to spend the extra if you're buying new.

Used is a different matter - in the UK, Turbo prices have gone through the floor (as have values of everything previously desirable). I was intending to buy a 997 Turbo to use until next Summer, but have decided that just setting fire to the money would be more sensible at the moment.
I bet if you put an add on the local radio channel and in the local paper, you could draw quite a crowd to a money burning ceremony, provided you were going to burn the proper amount of cash.

I am not sure that buying a GT-R wouldn't be rather close to the cost of a Turbo by the time you owned and tracked each for a period of time. I've read some wild stories about maintenance costs and GT-Rs. I wonder if anybody has worked up a total for GT-R ownership costs per mile?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Tokyotuner is infamous around these parts
In my opinion this test really just proves Nissan's claim. The GTR used here was early JDM GTR, before the revision, on Bridgestones. Nissan stated when the car was planning to run the 7:38 time that 7:40s -7:50s was, what the car would run on average on Bridgestones. So considering it was a wet track the GTR did better then you would expect in this specification.

It also shows that the GTR on Dunlaps would have been about as fast as the GT2 in this test, if we go by Nissan's 5-6 second time increase by switching to the Dunlaps.

So if we subtract, 5-6 seconds for switching to the Dunlaps, 17 seconds for a dry track (unless porsche was lying about their laptime as well), 3 seconds for the revisions made to USDM and later JDM GTR's, we would already be at a 7:29 and we haven't even factored Suzuki into the equation, a retired F1 driver who has spent more time in the car then anyone else.

So like i said before this test really just proves Nissan's time official, but that fact is overshadowed by the fact the GTR lost in thier test.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
The GTR also ran 7:45-7:50 on dry track as well so you can't just subtract 17 seconds and a few here and there and say 7:29 on a 485hp with 3900lbs would still do the ring in 7:29. Your calculations puts it at 7:29 without Suzuki which would make it was 7:23 - 7:25?

Nissan's claims has been the problem. They are claiming A LOT!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tokyotuner
In my opinion this test really just proves Nissan's claim. The GTR used here was early JDM GTR, before the revision, on Bridgestones. Nissan stated when the car was planning to run the 7:38 time that 7:40s -7:50s was, what the car would run on average on Bridgestones. So considering it was a wet track the GTR did better then you would expect in this specification.

It also shows that the GTR on Dunlaps would have been about as fast as the GT2 in this test, if we go by Nissan's 5-6 second time increase by switching to the Dunlaps.

So if we subtract, 5-6 seconds for switching to the Dunlaps, 17 seconds for a dry track (unless porsche was lying about their laptime as well), 3 seconds for the revisions made to USDM and later JDM GTR's, we would already be at a 7:29 and we haven't even factored Suzuki into the equation, a retired F1 driver who has spent more time in the car then anyone else.

So like i said before this test really just proves Nissan's time official, but that fact is overshadowed by the fact the GTR lost in thier test.
What it shows it that on a dry track with someone who really knows how to drive a 911, the GTR would have been slaughtered worse. We have several folks now who owe no allegiance to Nissan or Porsche who have driven both seriously questioning Nissan's time. No one questions The Porsche's time. Seriously, if you want us to believe this stuff, bring a few GTRs to the 24 hours of Nurburgring 2009, and under highly scruitinized conditions show us what it can do not only for one lap, but for 24 hours of racing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drivers Republic GT2 v GTR around the Nurburgring