997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PSS10 vs KW Variant 3...which is better ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
No doubt about the great quality of KW, and I've been told recently they are found in successful race car programs. However... if I understand Bobby's point correctly: How does KW compare to the equivalent coilover price wise (level wise)?

1. The Bilstein is around 2500. Does the Variant 3 that it's being compared against cost the same? (I saw something on KW web site that is around $5000? Is that the price of the Variant 3?)

2. If not, then how would KW compare against something that costs similarly and perhaps at the same level, maybe something by Moton http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_suspension.shtml ?

Thanks for posting btw. I think it's so great that we have professionals on this forum.

Originally Posted by AutoTalent
Comparing the base material alone, KW is better as stainless steel construction is utilized versus the standard galvanized steel (prone to rust & corrosion from salty air). The composite spring perches manufactured by KW which was independently tested by AMG engineers before approving the contract was found to be at least 4x stronger than a standard metal perch. Construction of the components can be argued to death so that will be left alone for now.

Bilstein is an OE manufacture for regular replacement shocks.

KW coilovers is actually the first aftermarket company used on regular production vehicles (excluding Ferrari,Lamborghini...), Mercedes-Benz CLK-Black Series then most notably the Dodge Viper ACR are what come to mind. The ACR Viper currently holds the fastest 'Ring' lap time.

Valving by KW is not rough by any means, one can personalize both low-speed independent rebound (18) plus compression (14) settings while the Bilstein Damptronic only offers 2 settings (on or off). Don't rule KW out for the roads of Russia or any country. Just spend some time adjusting them till you are happy

For more information:

KW Variant 3
http://kw-suspension.com/en/30_Produ...nt_3/index.php

Salt Spray Test
http://kw-suspension.com/en/20_Techn...Test/index.php

7-Post Rig (VERY SERIOUS EQUIPMENT)
http://kw-suspension.com/en/20_Techn...-Rig/index.php

In the KW catalog, there is a Formula 1 car being tested

Old 11-30-2008, 01:59 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Thanks for the info...

What KW set up I can use for rough roads...I dont want the to jump around ??? All Porsche people here tell ME that it will be impossible to drive with KWs on our roads...Even in stock sport mode the car start to bounce on bump on pur roads

Been told that may be we can use softer spring then the ride will be OK...

I want it but I a bit concerned that I wont be able to drive the car as daily driver with such set up...

Originally Posted by AutoTalent
Comparing the base material alone, KW is better as stainless steel construction is utilized versus the standard galvanized steel (prone to rust & corrosion from salty air). The composite spring perches manufactured by KW which was independently tested by AMG engineers before approving the contract was found to be at least 4x stronger than a standard metal perch. Construction of the components can be argued to death so that will be left alone for now.

Bilstein is an OE manufacture for regular replacement shocks.

KW coilovers is actually the first aftermarket company used on regular production vehicles (excluding Ferrari,Lamborghini...), Mercedes-Benz CLK-Black Series then most notably the Dodge Viper ACR are what come to mind. The ACR Viper currently holds the fastest 'Ring' lap time.

Valving by KW is not rough by any means, one can personalize both low-speed independent rebound (18) plus compression (14) settings while the Bilstein Damptronic only offers 2 settings (on or off). Don't rule KW out for the roads of Russia or any country. Just spend some time adjusting them till you are happy

For more information:

KW Variant 3
http://kw-suspension.com/en/30_Produ...nt_3/index.php

Salt Spray Test
http://kw-suspension.com/en/20_Techn...Test/index.php

7-Post Rig (VERY SERIOUS EQUIPMENT)
http://kw-suspension.com/en/20_Techn...-Rig/index.php

In the KW catalog, there is a Formula 1 car being tested

Old 11-30-2008, 07:07 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Thanks for the info...

What KW set up I can use for rough roads...I dont want the to jump around ??? All Porsche people here tell ME that it will be impossible to drive with KWs on our roads...Even in stock sport mode the car start to bounce on bump on pur roads

Been told that may be we can use softer spring then the ride will be OK...

I want it but I a bit concerned that I wont be able to drive the car as daily driver with such set up...
GTRUS -it seems that every time we give you our opinion you take it to another direction. It was the same with wheels, with your tranny and car.

We are a board of very helpful people. You didn't take delivery of your first Turbo and you are back on a second one asking the same questions about wheels, ride quality, suspension quality, etc.

I understand that we all want what is best for our cars but best is subjective and you are asking for a definate best. There is not a single definate best since we don't live there, know your actual driving habits, etc.. What you might like for your ride quality we could hate and vice versa.

So if the Porsche people there are telling you the KW's are too stiff for your roads and we all said the Bilsteins are good enough for you then why do you keep on insisting to bring up the KW?

KWV3 can be had for $2500.00. I know I had a set for that price. If I could have had PASM disabled I would have gone this route first as I have had KWV3's before and loved them. The PASM bilsteins is the way to go since it can lock up with PASM sport mode to give you a better track handling for track use without adjusting like the KWV3's. I like manual dialin but I am very happy with the Bilsteins.

As I said and many people have said to you several times. Get the Bilsteins and call it a day.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:19 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
All very good points, especially the part in bold. It's like asking for the "best" wheel, "best" exhaust, etc. There is no such thing.

Alpine, is 2500 for the KW Variant 3 with independent compression/rebound? If so, a great price for this coilover; much less costly than Moton's equivalent offering?

Auto Talent (or Alpine), do you happen to know what the spring rates are for these KW ? Is there some reason GT Rus is saying that about the KW? Or are we just being, er, "GT Rus'ed" (new term) again?

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
GTRUS -it seems that every time we give you our opinion you take it to another direction. It was the same with wheels, with your tranny and car.

We are a board of very helpful people. You didn't take delivery of your first Turbo and you are back on a second one asking the same questions about wheels, ride quality, suspension quality, etc.

I understand that we all want what is best for our cars but best is subjective and you are asking for a definite best. There is not a single definite best since we don't live there, know your actual driving habits, etc.. What you might like for your ride quality we could hate and vice versa.

So if the Porsche people there are telling you the KW's are too stiff for your roads and we all said the Bilsteins are good enough for you then why do you keep on insisting to bring up the KW?

KWV3 can be had for $2500.00. I know I had a set for that price. If I could have had PASM disabled I would have gone this route first as I have had KWV3's before and loved them. The PASM bilsteins is the way to go since it can lock up with PASM sport mode to give you a better track handling for track use without adjusting like the KWV3's. I like manual dialin but I am very happy with the Bilsteins.

As I said and many people have said to you several times. Get the Bilsteins and call it a day.

Last edited by cannga; 11-30-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:32 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Cannga:

I had them written down somewhere and I will look for it in regards to the spring rates.

As far as being too stiff they could be referring to the Club Sport versions of the KW's. The KWV3's is very compliant if dialed in for the street. Of course it can serve as light duty track and mountain runs great. You would need to get into the Club Sport versions for track. Which to many Europeans that run them are about the same as the Motons.

The 3 in the V3 means - compression/rebound/height. The low speed compression is adjustable and the high speed compression is pre-set by KW. There is not a way around this on the V3 version. Of course rebound and height are the other two.

Once dialed-in in my opinion I think the KW's is a better setup.

As I have said I really like the Bilsteins but I am more of a Dial it in kinda person. I do not have a ton of track experience but I do have a lot of street experience. I like mountain driving as straight line is very boring. So I get a feel for what I like and the KW's have always been my favorite for the street. I know some like JIC, etc. but I just prefer the KW's.

You do have to tweak it for the roads that you drive most often and then adjust to balance of your skills and driving habits.

In regards to the PASM only having an on/off which technically is true the system adjusts accordingly similiar to a manual dial-in on the PSS9's and 10's just more quickly and electronically.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:37 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Thanks for your comments...I am still thinking about it and considering my options...leaning towards KWs

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997

I understand that we all want what is best for our cars but best is subjective and you are asking for a definate best. There is not a single definate best since we don't live there, know your actual driving habits, etc.. What you might like for your ride quality we could hate and vice versa.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
All very good points, especially the part in bold. It's like asking for the "best" wheel, "best" exhaust, etc. There is no such thing.

Alpine, is 2500 for the KW Variant 3 with independent compression/rebound? If so, a great price for this coilover; much less costly than Moton's equivalent offering?

Auto Talent (or Alpine), do you happen to know what the spring rates are for these KW ? Is there some reason GT Rus is saying that about the KW? Or are we just being, er, "GT Rus'ed" (new term) again?

KW V3's are great, but you can't compare them to Motons at any price. Just IMO.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
No you can't compare them to the Motons at least the KWV3's. But I am sure the boys across the ocean are willing to challenge you on the ClubSport/Competition versions against the Motons at any price.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
how much is the KWVariant ?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by yalmutawa
how much is the KWVariant ?
Alpine got his Variant 3 for $2500 but I don't know if this is a special deal or not. When I go to the web site I saw something that is around $5000. Alpine?

If 2500, it is an excellent price.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Yes it was a great price. Too bad I had to return them.

I can't say what they go for now as I have not shopped them in a while.

They usually retail for $3795.00 or so. There are several sites selling them for $3100-$3400.00

If you really want a set PM me and I can see what I can do to help.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Now that I have a contact in the Tech Dept at Porsche I would reconsider but spending all that money to uninstall/reinstall, align and corner balance would not be a smart money move.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 PM
So what would smart money move ???

Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
amazing price 2500$ .. GT Rus how's ur car where is it now did u have it back to russia yet ?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Smart money is on the Bilsteins as you can turn off and on the PASM. There are not many shops in the states where it seems you are buying your car would turn it off for you. Especially without signing discloures and releases. So if you are not here you better know someone who knows someone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSS10 vs KW Variant 3...which is better ???