997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PSS10 vs KW Variant 3...which is better ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
^^^Agreed. Smart move would be to get the Bilsteins especially with your roads.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:45 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Smart money is on the Bilsteins as you can turn off and on the PASM. There are not many shops in the states where it seems you are buying your car would turn it off for you. Especially without signing discloures and releases. So if you are not here you better know someone who knows someone.
heh...

Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Honestly, if the roads are that bad I wouldn't do anything. Leave it stock.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
TT Gasman - that would be too simple of an answer

Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thanks Alpine but I have no plan to change from the Bilstein. I am just curious about all the (good) alternatives out there.

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
If you really want a set PM me and I can see what I can do to help.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone needs KW, we can help....just let us know

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 12-03-2008, 02:39 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by yalmutawa
amazing price 2500$ .. GT Rus how's ur car where is it now did u have it back to russia yet ?
which car are you taliking about ???

SPI 750 sold, another one (manual this time) is going to Switzer for new secret project

Old 12-03-2008, 02:42 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by atomic80
^^^Agreed. Smart move would be to get the Bilsteins especially with your roads.
OK...but can it be adjusted like KWs to make highly mod TT more stable and keep front down under full WOT...

Its not that I want or dont want...we would need to have the car under control more...

Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Honestly, if the roads are that bad I wouldn't do anything. Leave it stock.
No its not an option...I mention why in earlier post...

Spoked to one guy who has KW 3 on his 996 TT and he said its very stiff and rides hard on oour roads but totally tranforms car handling performance...night and day as he said and he like it a lot...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really nice
Originally Posted by cannga
All very good points, especially the part in bold. It's like asking for the "best" wheel, "best" exhaust, etc. There is no such thing.

Alpine, is 2500 for the KW Variant 3 with independent compression/rebound? If so, a great price for this coilover; much less costly than Moton's equivalent offering?

Auto Talent (or Alpine), do you happen to know what the spring rates are for these KW ? Is there some reason GT Rus is saying that about the KW? Or are we just being, er, "GT Rus'ed" (new term) again?
Agreed that "best" is a matter of opinion in most cases. Some like HRE, others like Asanti

Alpine got the kit last year before the price increase of 2008, I was not the one who sold it to him but know the price from last year vs this year. Also, please make sure to compare apples to apples as prices vary depending on model.

Springs rates for the 997 Turbo are Progressive Front & 970lbs/in in the rear.

No doubt about the great quality of KW, and I've been told recently they are found in successful race car programs. However... if I understand Bobby's point correctly: How does KW compare to the equivalent coilover price wise (level wise)?

1. The Bilstein is around 2500. Does the Variant 3 that it's being compared against cost the same? (I saw something on KW web site that is around $5000? Is that the price of the Variant 3?)

2. If not, then how would KW compare against something that costs similarly and perhaps at the same level, maybe something by Moton http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_suspension.shtml ?

Thanks for posting btw. I think it's so great that we have professionals on this forum.
The comparison between KW vs Bilstein is not exactly even because of the different designs of both kits. KW offers independent low-speed compression & rebound while Bilstein has 2 settings (on or off). They are comparable by price as they are both available for the same model car but do you want something that is pre-determined or something that you can fine tune. Owners run different tire pressures, different style wheels, drive through different roads, have different exhausts & so on. IMHO having preset settings like the factory suspension defeats the purpose of getting a suspension upgrade.

Retail on KW Variant 3 for 997 Turbo is $3795, we try to take good care of people so retail you will not pay

Originally Posted by GT RUS
Thanks for the info...

What KW set up I can use for rough roads...I dont want the to jump around ??? All Porsche people here tell ME that it will be impossible to drive with KWs on our roads...Even in stock sport mode the car start to bounce on bump on pur roads

Been told that may be we can use softer spring then the ride will be OK...

I want it but I a bit concerned that I wont be able to drive the car as daily driver with such set up...
There are members on here (active or not, I don't know) with 996 TT / 997 TT running KW & are extremely happy. The common response is it rides better than stock & handles better.

Actually, if I understand things correctly, the new ZR-1 beat the ACR Viper recently.
When? Where? How? Straight line?

My reference was in regards to "The Ring"

Originally Posted by yalmutawa
how much is the KWVariant ?

For what model car? For which system?

Alpine got his Variant 3 for $2500 but I don't know if this is a special deal or not. When I go to the web site I saw something that is around $5000. Alpine?

If 2500, it is an excellent price.
That is a super special deal but also based on KW's 2007 pricing. What you must have seen around $5000 is the HLS kit which is entirely different than KW Variant 3 coilovers.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:19 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Auto Talent is correct, you do lose the ability to "adjust" your suspension settings with the Bilsteins but I was actually not looking to do that. I wanted to retain the ability to adjust them via the PASM button. I didn't want to have to deal with getting that turned off via the dealership. I guess the bottom line is, what your ultimate goals are. How far do you want to go in tuning your car. My advice is spend your money on driving schools first and foremost before even thinking of adding horsepower or messing around with your suspension. I went to several driving schools, tracked several times, etc. So, I knew exactly what I wanted my Turbo to do. You could just as easily make your Turbo into a monster car but what good is that if you can't keep it until control? You could end up totaling it. I'll get off my soap box here.

As for the ZR-1. I was referring to the Nurburgring. Jim Mero drove a stock ZR1 around the 'ring in 7:26.4. But it looks like the Dodge Viper ACR beat that at 7:22. I stand corrected on that.

1. 7:22.1 - 2009 Dodge Viper ACR
2. 7:24.3 - Maserati MC12
3. 7:24.7 - Pagani Zonda F CS
4. 7:25.3 - Ferrari Enzo
5. 7:26.4 - Corvette ZR1

Old 12-03-2008, 03:47 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Auto Talent is correct, you do lose the ability to "adjust" your suspension settings with the Bilsteins but I was actually not looking to do that. I wanted to retain the ability to adjust them via the PASM button. I didn't want to have to deal with getting that turned off via the dealership. I guess the bottom line is, what your ultimate goals are. How far do you want to go in tuning your car. My advice is spend your money on driving schools first and foremost before even thinking of adding horsepower or messing around with your suspension. I went to several driving schools, tracked several times, etc. So, I knew exactly what I wanted my Turbo to do. You could just as easily make your Turbo into a monster car but what good is that if you can't keep it until control? You could end up totaling it. I'll get off my soap box here.
I think I actually agree with Jason on this . Every step you take to change the car is a compromise and it becomes a little bit less of a street car. DEs and driving schools come first everything else is extra, these cars are amazing machines out of the box.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedplay
Springs rates for the 997 Turbo are Progressive Front & 970lbs/in in the rear.
Wow this sounds really really REALLY STIFF!! For comparison, the rear spring rates for GT3 and GT2, as well as Bilstein Damptronic, are all between 550 and 600. At 570, the Bilstein is already at the upper limit of driveability on Los Angeles streets for me, is there some trick to the KWV3 that makes 970 tolerable?

BTW, just my personal preference: Like Atomic/Alpine, I would not want to go without PASM compatibility. I have come to appreciate the PASM funtion of the Bilstein, much more than the stock PASM. Night and day difference, with the difference being that the Firm Setting of Bilstein is totally useable (stock PASM is firm and jittery, and somewhat scary -- airborne! -- if you run into mid corner bumps at high enough speed).

Again thanks for taking time for the detailed reply. I think competition is good and it's great that an alternative is available at a reasonable price. So now we have Biltstein, KWV3, JRZ (Gotboost's Turbo), and Moton.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:21 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I'm no expert, but I think spring rates alone cannot be compared as apples to apples comparisons. The valving on all these struts and shocks are different and come into play. I think the combination of the valving and the spring rate is what completes the whole picture.

As for the adjustability part, be careful what you wish for. Adjustability is great, but only in the hands of some really knowledgable and experienced suspension experts. Suspensions like the KW's, JRZ's, and Motons can be adjusted above and beyond what we would ever use. Finding the right combination for your style of driving can be really fun, but a real pain in the *** at the same time. It is really time consuming.

If you don't have the time and a really experienced tuner to help set it up, the PSS10 Bilstein is the way to go. This setup is done to suit a wide variety of driving styles and it is not extreme in any one manner. Good balance of both worlds.. Just my opinion....

Old 12-03-2008, 06:40 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
GT RUS you should feel lucky to have a board so responsive to you and to others. We have a lot of experience on this board and the competition creates a place such as this.

The spring rates can be deceptive and as GotBoost said the valving, how you set your compression/rebound will really suprise you on the actual feel of the shocks.

A while back I ran a set of Ground Control on my M5 which uses Eibach springs and Koni adjustable struts. I asked GC about their street setup and the spring rates. They said 340 fronts and 450 rears. Well for a porker the M5 was I felt that was not enough as I had ran 550/650 on my M3 and really liked it for street. I asked them to up it to 550/750 for the M5 and they said that I was crazy and that it would be too harsh.

Well needless to say they were wrong. I was dead on and solid with the rates that I asked for. So my point as well as GotBoost is that its not all in the spring rates as much as an overall package.

GT RUS if you are interested in getting a set ask SpeedPlay/Autotalent as they sell them and can work you a deal perhaps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSS10 vs KW Variant 3...which is better ???