997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

E bay nightmare for my 360 Ferrari

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 PM
acropora997TT is infamous around these parts
E bay nightmare for my 360 Ferrari

Word of caution.
FWIW: I was selling my 03 Ferrari 360 spider on E bay. Some A** H*** hacked into my E bay account and was able to lower the selling price. He added his e mail contact to the auction. He was also able to block e mail notifications to my email address so I could not see the changes made to the listing. Luckily I was able to contact E bay and put a stop to it. I had several bids and several messages as well. I called those who left their contact number and notified them of the bogus add. The hacker was also attempting to sell other cars using my ID name.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
I like most here are online often so I noticed the lack of incoming E mails. I called my service provider and they confirmed that my e mails were forwarded and they corrected the problem. I also changed my E bay user name and password and shredded my credit cards.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 11-24-2008, 01:39 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Wow, that's scary! What a PITA ("pain in the ***") I wonder how somebody can hack into your account and re-direct your e-mail???? I have never heard of that. Good thing you caught it though. Good luck selling your car.

Adam

Old 11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Thank you.
I was only able to discover this when I sent myself an e mail and it went out successfully and never arrived into my inbox.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM
checklist_34 is a jewel in the roughchecklist_34 is a jewel in the roughchecklist_34 is a jewel in the rough
that is awful, I'm glad it got worked out and I hope you didn't lose a sale over it. Are criminal charges ever filed in cases like these, or does nobody know "whodunit"?

Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
If they got into your e mail and know you were selling a Ferrari --I think you ought keep an eye on all your transactions daily for at least a year . Get the credit monitoring / place fraud alrerts/ house alarm/surveilance .

When I was a little kid someone walked into my home at 3AM I have never stopped looking over my shoulder to safeguard my self/ finances/ and family.

From the sound of your story --it sounds like the hackers were not just a bunch of fools on a shopping spree . They picked a high ticket item on a major internet financial site.

The financial insitutions/credit companies will help you ... but my advice is to monitor it yourself too.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I had a guy try to pretend to be me and get a loan. LOL, too bad he got caught.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
That's crazy. It's a good thing you cancelled everything and change your password.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:27 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Wow, glad you caught it in time!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
From the sound of your story --it sounds like the hackers were not just a bunch of fools on a shopping spree . They picked a high ticket item on a major internet financial site.

The financial insitutions/credit companies will help you ... but my advice is to monitor it yourself too.

Good luck.

Yes You are correct. I had to hold back from e mailing the hacker and giving him a piece of my mind; since that would only give him more information for him to screw with. There was no loss on my part or for anyone else for that matter. Therefore not sure if much can be done prosecution wise. I do monitor my accounts closely, but the fact that I could not receive my e mails was the real threat; giving the hacker more time.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I've seen a lot of ebay hacks/ redirects.

Am I correct that he was only redirecting ebay emails? Not your regular email?

If BOTH ebay and you email ISP were 'hacked' that is pretty significant.

Usually they get into ebay- often you see people that sold beekeeping supplies in 2006 all of a sudden lsiting high end cars, etc.... they are going for the wire transfer or downpayment. Of course there is no car. Once they are in your ebay account they change the password, change the email that ebay uses to communicate.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
wow that sucks!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:26 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
The internet just ain't as safe as it was when we were growing up

Seriously - good catch - I recently got nabbed on a credit card charge of 14 cents. Did a google on the phone number came up as a known scam. Called the credit card card .. BMW FS and asked if I can google it, why can't your fraud department. Next step is they take a whole bunch more.

Got to watch every penny online these days .. thanks for sharing the story/scam!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
My EBAY posting for the 02 C-4 Cab was hacked too!!! I was lucky (and unlucky) that EBAY caught it before I did. EBAY shut down everything I had, my history, my seller status, etc - completely erased me and my credibility as a seller.
I'm no stranger to seeing peoples lives get ruined by Identity Theft. (I'm the V.P. of a major Credit Card Processing company). So listen to everyone who said to WATCH YOUR CREDIT REPORT, BANK AND CREDIT ACCOUNTS CAREFULLY AND REGULARLY!!!! It's all good advice. I took several hits to my credit report the same week they hacked my EBAY account. Seems EBAY hacks aren't a rare occurrence.
Now for my personal/professional advice ... Get a letter from EBAY (if you can, they protect themselves from any written liability so getting this letter is near impossible), acknowledging you and your account have been hacked and your credit info was exposed.
Get in touch with all three credit reporting bureau's, declare you've been a victim of ID theft giving them a copy of your EBAY declaration and ask for a "Fraud Alert" to post on your report which will read something like this; "Before any credit is to be issued you must be called at these two phone numbers ... " and give two (2) phone numbers. Best it be your cell and home #. Now for the part that's important ... DON'T CHANGE YOUR PHONE #'S AND ANSWER EVERY STRANGE AND UNKNOWN CALL!!!
The law states you are responsible for your credit diligence, so do it yourself. (Do NOT use any 'credit safety company' -- they have no liability if they fail, charge a lot of money and do what you can do for free and can prevent you from getting credit you DID apply for.) Every other day go on-line and check to see who's tagged your credit, if there's a new hit (the report has listings of companies who've tagged your credit report at the end of the report), contact them (their underwriting/risk division), and shut down any account that is being established.
Although most cases don't progress after being shut down, don't think it's over. Randomly check your credit for years.
As for existing credit accounts, do not shut them down and apply for new ones. Call each card issuer and ask the accounts get rolled over to new card numbers, (do 'em one at a time, not all at once).

I know this is a lot of info, but the fastest growing fraud in America is I.D. theft. You've been hit, and it can get worse very quickly and if you're not diligent and you'll be spending a lot of money and for every trying to clear your name. Sorry you had to deal with this.
I hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Roller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to behold
I.D. theft is such big business, if you let your mind wonder for a sec you can see how easy it is with a little cunning.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that sux that you had to go through this. Tthe worst part about it, is that these people go totally uninhabitited. The law doesn't seem to do anything about it. I realize that these people probably try to do a decent job of covering their tracks, but if the government made it a big priority, I'm sure this type of thing could be largely diffused. Good luck on selling your car and even more importantly, keeping your money out of the theives hands.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E bay nightmare for my 360 Ferrari