997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PORSCHE 7-day factory shutdown to cope with downturn in biz....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
PORSCHE 7-day factory shutdown to cope with downturn in biz....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...vFY&refer=home

Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Tough for everybody these days. All seemingly connected to the US.

Go OBAMA!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 PM
ishmerc is infamous around these parts
How much off MSRP do you think i can get on a 09 C4S now

Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
It's going to be a VERY tough couple of years for every type of business.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ishmerc
How much off MSRP do you think i can get on a 09 C4S now
at least 10% off sticker would be reasonable guess.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Roller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to behold
I am led to believe the shut down is done so they aren't forced in the rebate war. This factory shut down hurts the bargaining power of the Porsche customer. ...IMO

Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I think it's a smart move . Here's why :

They are hedging losses within their business ,maintaining wages to retain employee morale , and lowering production to keep the value up on what they do produce .

Unlike the big three who grovel for bailouts they are not waiting until the $h*t hits the fan to intiate a bit of self discipline and structure .

As owners we benefit too . The recent Turbo soft market is NOT what I imagine Porsche wants to see . My guess is that they realize that if acustomer buys a 150K car he wants to see some resale value retention . Plus they have a "certified" program .

Kudo's to Porsche . In my opinion they are making the best of a bad circumstance and factoring in every aspect of it.

As for the buyer --he can buy a used Porsche and at least have a car with a warranty and the potential to retain some value with this type of business strategy .

Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
I wish they would built less cars all the time, so we would get better resale values.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:25 PM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I think it's a smart move . Here's why :

They are hedging losses within their business ,maintaining wages to retain employee morale , and lowering production to keep the value up on what they do produce .

Unlike the big three who grovel for bailouts they are not waiting until the $h*t hits the fan to intiate a bit of self discipline and structure .

As owners we benefit too . The recent Turbo soft market is NOT what I imagine Porsche wants to see . My guess is that they realize that if acustomer buys a 150K car he wants to see some resale value retention . Plus they have a "certified" program .

Kudo's to Porsche . In my opinion they are making the best of a bad circumstance and factoring in every aspect of it.

As for the buyer --he can buy a used Porsche and at least have a car with a warranty and the potential to retain some value with this type of business strategy .
i agree with you. i also think that once the economy starts doing a bunch better, the price of turbo coupes will stabilize, as after 07, few coupes were made. if the economy was strong, 09's would be going for full list. even with the present economic downturn, there aren't many 09 turbo coupes around. happy thanksgiving to all.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 PM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
They have some unfortunate timing with the Panamera sedan introduction coming at a time of weak markets. I doubt if they will hit their internal sales targets, but they should be able to hold production down.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SLA
They have some unfortunate timing with the Panamera sedan introduction coming at a time of weak markets. I doubt if they will hit their internal sales targets, but they should be able to hold production down.
I'm worried that the Panamera is going to be a flop...it has already received bad press because of its exterior shape. And Aston (not surprisingly) has released official images of the Rapide:

Old 11-27-2008, 12:29 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SLA
Whats unfortunate is how heavy the car is, how ugly it looks and how unintuitive the ****pit layout is witrh all those buttons everywhere...This thing has got FLOP written all over it

Lou

Old 11-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Steve911S is infamous around these parts
I agree with this being a smart move. The used turbo mkt has really taken a dump in the last 4 months and i was considering a turbo as they were going for 100k for an 07.

I will reserve judgement on the panamera until i have seen the final production photos.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:02 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve911S
I agree with this being a smart move. The used turbo mkt has really taken a dump in the last 4 months and i was considering a turbo as they were going for 100k for an 07.

I will reserve judgement on the panamera until i have seen the final production photos.
Final photos are out:

http://jalopnik.com/5099428/cover-yo...a-mega-gallery

Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 PM
desoto is infamous around these parts
Severe Recession

Most people don't realize how bad it already is in the car business. I live in Jacksonville, Florida and MB imports cars into the local port. Rather than take downtime at the plants in Germany they have been runnig at normal production rates and shipping the cars to the U.S. to put in inventory. I should post the pics of the cars they now have in inventory off the port site. Acres and acres of cars. I would estimate somewhere between 60 and 80 acres of nothing but MB cars of ALL classes. Easily 4,000 to 5,000 cars. The question is how are all those cars going to get sold if people are losing their jobs or cannot obtain credit for a $80,000 S class. This is going to get real ugly very fast. For those of you in the market for a MB now is the time to make a deal - 25% off sticker at a minimum!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE 7-day factory shutdown to cope with downturn in biz....