997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Lets talk tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:12 AM
RTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura about
Had PZero's on my 997 S Cab & have PZero's now on my F430. Pretty decent tire but prefer the PS2's on my Turbo during decent weather. Have Nokian WR NO's on the Turbo now & impressed.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
The Cup tires are more for track use than anything else, I doubt you would experience any real noticeable performance gain from regular street driving.

Additionally, if you have a cooler climate the cups become hard as rocks, anything around 40 degrees and they are very very hard.

I use them for both street and track so I can't comment on their overall durability because the track eats away at them for sure, but they definitely look to be on the lower side in terms of the amount of tread they start with.

They are great tires for feedback, and have a lot of grip, but for street driving and no-track use I would stick with the PS2s.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:43 PM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
Seems to me that everyone is running 325/20's with 20" wheels. That tire is more then an inch smaller than stock tires. Anybody running 325/25's as they are about the same size than stock and would sound as better fit....???

Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by W1N
Seems to me that everyone is running 325/20's with 20" wheels. That tire is more then an inch smaller than stock tires. Anybody running 325/25's as they are about the same size than stock and would sound as better fit....???

I dont think anyone runs 325x20's (who even makes this size? I dont think its available).... its all 325x25x20.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:13 PM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
I think I've seen it around a quite bit. Good to know I was wrong

Old 12-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by W1N
I think I've seen it around a quite bit. Good to know I was wrong
I checked Tire Rack, there is no option for a 20 series. Its not a tire that is DOT approved if its floating around somewhere.

I think the 325x25x20 tire is around 26.4 inches in diameter.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:42 PM
W1N
this is pretty useful and it illustrates the wheel construction as well...

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
I put a new set of ps2 on my car in april and the rears need to be replaced already with less than 3k miles. Anyone else experience this? Oh yeah no tracking or autocross, just street and drag.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:59 PM
TD997TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Indykid
I put a new set of ps2 on my car in april and the rears need to be replaced already with less than 3k miles. Anyone else experience this? Oh yeah no tracking or autocross, just street and drag.
I have 7500 mi on my PS2's, 95% street, few track days and they still have decent tread, so I'd say it's the drag racing

However, my fronts are wearing almost as quickly as the rears, which I did not experience on my 993 TT which had P Zero's

Old 12-13-2008, 11:59 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cannga
Hello Damon,

My next experiment is either Pirelli Corsa or Michelin Cup. I figure it's not too expensive and completely reversible so why not. My driving: mostly street, back roads on weekends (higher speed), don't have to drive when it rains. Any comments from anyone please:

1. Will the ride be much worse in Michelin Cup versus the PS2?
2. Will there be noticeable difference in handling/cornering/steering feel between Cup versus PS2?
3. Expected life of cup tires on street?
Between those two I have to give the nod to the Pirelli Corsa. We're talking about the tires that come standard on the GT3 and not the full blown versions. The MPSC is a great tire but the Corsa is much better in the rain. On the track there's not much between them. On the street, they both come to tempreture quickly and handle about the same.

Life expecentacy is probably half that of the PS2, which will be my choice if I wanted a street tire. If you're not driving on a track, don't go for these as they will be a waste on the streets. If you will be tracking, there are much better choices.

For reference, I'm expecting the full blown Corsa Motorsport tires anytime soon and those are excellent for the track if you don't have a trailer and are willing to let them have some heat in 'em before driving aggressively on the street.

Last edited by 03-turbo911; 12-14-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thank you, Khalid and rayu.

*Assuming* I would like to give the Corsa a try just to see what it feels like , would you please comment on how they (Michelin PS2 versus Michelin Cup/Corsa) compare on harshness/ride quality and noise?

I had about a 30 minute drive on a GT2 and felt that ride and noise were not bad at all, but am afraid it might feel different on long term basis. TIA.

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Between those two I have to give the nod to the Pirelli Corsa. We're talking about the tires that come standard on the GT3 and not the full blown versions. The MPSC is a great tire but the Corsa is much better in the rain. On the track there's not much between them. On the street, they both come to tempreture quickly and handle about the same.

Life expecentacy is probably half that of the PS2, which will be my choice if I wanted a street tire. If you're not driving on a track, don't go for these as they will be a waste on the streets. If you will be tracking, there are much better choices.

For reference, I'm expecting the full blown Corsa Motorsport tires anytime soon and those are excellent for the track if you don't have a trailer and are willing to let them have some heat in 'em before driving aggressively on the street.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
I think that the noise is more of a concern than the ride harshness. These tires roar and compared to the PS2, they are more noisy especially in the much quieter turbo. For a better perspective, I guess you got to ask someone who has tried both on a turbo, I haven't.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:15 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I run the MPSC on the street, they perform very well with acceptable wear rate IMO. Keep in mind these are the OEM N type cups, NOT the traditional sport cups. They are basically a max performance summer tire. The main issue, they attract nails and road debris like a magnet.I picked up 2 nails in the first 1000 miles. I recently switched to my OEM Bridgestones/ stock wheels until springtime.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:07 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Doug & Khalid,

Thanks for the very helpful replies. I might just give this experiment a try once my stock PS2 needs replacement. A $2000 (?) experiment but looks like it's reversible and the good thing is even if it doesn't work out, I only have to endure about 6 months at the rate I am accumulating miles -- 10k a year.

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
I run the MPSC on the street, they perform very well with acceptable wear rate IMO. Keep in mind these are the OEM N type cups, NOT the traditional sport cups. They are basically a max performance summer tire. The main issue, they attract nails and road debris like a magnet.I picked up 2 nails in the first 1000 miles. I recently switched to my OEM Bridgestones/ stock wheels until springtime.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
buckshot2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by W1N
There is no such thing as the 325/20 - Most people run a 325/25/20 in the back of the WB 997's.

As far as the Bridgestones VS. Pirelli's VS. PS2's - I have driven on all three and the Bridgestone is def the best in the wet. Dry is the PS2, but overall the Rosso is my favorite!

My only drawback on the PS2's is the overly thick sidewall on any size which kinda throws off the look of the car. Some may like it, but its not for me...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lets talk tires