997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Clutch Pedal Engages ... where???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
When I first got the car I thought that it activated too high also compared to my E46 M3, but you get used to it fairly quickly.

It's actually pretty good in stop/go traffic on the street but its awkward to launch the car. I dont really launch it ever so that doesn't bother me.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
I've only tried "launch" about 4 times. I don't like it. Seems like it's going to break something. It's certainly faster than I can do on my own, but it just doesn't 'feel right'.
I also attribute that to the long throw of the clutch pedal and the 'time' used with pedal travel.
I'll probably change out the pedal system as Sharky suggested once it's out of warranty.
Thanks all..

Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Once again, glad to know I am not alone here. I've only had 2 days of drive time and I am desperately trying to get used to the clutch engaging high. May be it's just me but it's been challenging trying to do smooth shift between 1st and 2nd. Please let me know if anyone has any advice... may be I need a driving lesson.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sbkim
Once again, glad to know I am not alone here. I've only had 2 days of drive time and I am desperately trying to get used to the clutch engaging high. May be it's just me but it's been challenging trying to do smooth shift between 1st and 2nd. Please let me know if anyone has any advice... may be I need a driving lesson.
The power assist clutch is IMO the worst feature of the 997tt . I disliked it so much that I almost didn't buy the car . It is no comparison the the 997S or Gt3 (stiffer) where the engagement is clear. I got used to it and when I upgraded to a stage 3 clutch the engagement was even trickoer but I adapted to that too .

Then I opted for the Gt2 conversion and by far it was the way to go. It removed the power assist which makes the clutch quite hard to press but I can nail the engagement point spot on and it is strong enough to hold the Hp upgrade. It was not a simple job . In fact on the 996tt I heard it takes less time (6 hrs rather than 10) . Once completed I love my clutch setup.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 PM
joecmess is infamous around these parts
this may sound weird, but I moved the seat slightly farther back than usual and i found that I stopped focusing on the high clutch engagement.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joecmess
this may sound weird, but I moved the seat slightly farther back than usual and i found that I stopped focusing on the high clutch engagement.
Not weird at all. I did the same thing! Think it's because the pedal is easier to modulate with the muscles controlling the ankle rather than the less precise (but stronger) quad/hamstrings. Problem with this position though is if you're frequently changing gears, your leg will likely fatigue faster.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The GT2/slave removal mod only helps in terms of feel of engagement, especially for those with upgraded clutch/flywheel combinations that feel like on off switches. It does not change the engagement point.

You can change the clutch engagement point by changing the length of the slave rod.