997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Clutch Pedal Engages ... where???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:25 AM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Clutch Pedal Engages ... where???

I'm not happy where my clutch engages in the range of pedal travel. It seems to engage at the top end of the range of travel. To be precise, if the pedal is depressed all the way to the floor, that would be '1', and if released all the way, it would be a '10'.
My pedal engages/disengages between '6.5' and '9' ... and for me this is just too high. The dealer service tech (mediocre staff at best) said that's the factory placement and I should leave it there. (Can't believe that).
Well ... where is your engage/disengage range? And have you adjusted it closer to the floor?
Thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Mine is pretty high too, lots of travel, bit too soft, but at least its feel and distance are consistent so I learned to live with it.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SaintlySins
I'm not happy where my clutch engages in the range of pedal travel. It seems to engage at the top end of the range of travel. To be precise, if the pedal is depressed all the way to the floor, that would be '1', and if released all the way, it would be a '10'.
My pedal engages/disengages between '6.5' and '9' ... and for me this is just too high. The dealer service tech (mediocre staff at best) said that's the factory placement and I should leave it there. (Can't believe that).
Well ... where is your engage/disengage range? And have you adjusted it closer to the floor?
Thanks.
Mine's the same way and I hate it. It did start engaging closer to the "1" position once, and the slave cylinder went out shortly after.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Mine is pretty high too, lots of travel, bit too soft, but at least its feel and distance are consistent so I learned to live with it.
Totally agree!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
that's normal on the 996 and 997TT's and part and parcel of the hydraulic assist. I don't like it either and much prefer the "feel" of a GT3/GT2. The TT's set up is doing the work for you and you don't feel it engage and it feels more like a switch;( There are a bunch of different conversions out there that remove the system. Try a GT2/GT3 clutch pedal and see how you like that and the engagement first though.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:14 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Sharky -question --does the Gt2 pedal have launch control ?

Saintly --I really don't like the clutch . Never did . In fact compared to my 997S (previous two cars) the power assist really has been a disappointment. When I upgraded to a stage three clutch I now have a more more aggressive clutch but still have the awful Porsche factory hydraulic assist feature . I am considering other options but I am concerned about a hard to press non assist clutch in traffic--so I have just adapted . Plus with 700 Hp my choices are probably going be more limited than yours.

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-13-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Sharky -question --does the Gt2 pedal have launch control ?
yrralis, the GT2 has a separate launch control system that the 997TT doesn't have. It's not a feature of the clutch.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:56 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
yrralis, the GT2 has a separate launch control system that the 997TT doesn't have. It's not a feature of the clutch.
Thank you . Can it hold 700 hp?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
+1
my clutch releases up high too, I would say about 75% of the way up, I thought there might have been something wrong with it, but I'm glad to hear this seems to be normal.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
SHARKY seems to have an answer. Hate to push you for details, but is this just a 'pedal swap' or is it more technical than that?
Is there's an adjustment without changing out the pedal and armature?
Thanks.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
SHARKY seems to have an answer. Hate to push you for details, but is this just a 'pedal swap' or is it more technical than that?
Is there's an adjustment without changing out the pedal and armature?
Thanks.
It's actually a lot more than that and involves a gt2 master and slave cylinder conversion along with a few other extras:

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=162

We do them a lot on the 996TT's with big power kits or once the slave cylinder's being to fail....

Old 12-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I just don't want to mod the sled in a way that'll blow the warranty. Seems Porsche is getting stricter and tighter with mod's that will void warranties, and I'm certain this will be one of them. I may change out, modify the armature of the pedal. Even if I get an inch or two it'll help a lot.
I need to know why they allowed all that useless play at the end of the throw - is it part of the launch-control process?
Thanks for indulging my knowledge/understanding quest.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 PM
I just don't want to mod the sled in a way that'll blow the warranty. Seems Porsche is getting stricter and tighter with mod's that will void warranties, and I'm certain this will be one of them. I may change out, modify the armature of the pedal. Even if I get an inch or two it'll help a lot.
I need to know why they allowed all that useless play at the end of the throw - is it part of the launch-control process?
Thanks for indulging my knowledge/understanding quest.
Didn't you already get one new car? If so when their phone rings and it's you it probably goes to some sort of Porsche hotline.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Didn't you already get one new car? If so when their phone rings and it's you it probably goes to some sort of Porsche hotline.
Just checking in tonite ... that's funny ... and quite close to the truth. I've got a 'special relationship guy' in Atlanta I'm supposed to call for any problems I don't feel the dealer is handling to my satisfaction.
I know that REALLY means they're watching me closer than normal.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:53 PM
crd
crd is infamous around these parts
Funny thing about the clutch business. I'm teaching my son to drive a stick (the turbo is the only manual we have) and he complains about the lack of feel where the clutch engages. I'm used to it now but it bothered me at first, coming from a 930. I reassured him that I stalled the car plenty of times too, until I got the hang of it.

I know people complain that its soft, but I don't mind. Personally, I wouldn't change the whole setup just for that. I will be getting a 6GT3 for track duty, so I will be curious to compare the two.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Engages ... where???