997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hesitant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:15 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
You are one of the lucky ones. Many dealers around the world are brutal when it comes to aftermarket mods. They are getting better as a whole, but not all.

Regarding your comment above, if you were to take your car to a not so friendly dealer with that software, all it will take is a glance at the boost gauge to see it's not stock. Then what?

There is no switching capability like G.I.A.C. where with the push of a button, you can go back to stock timing, fuel, and boost maps.
Mike
I had already thought of that BEFORE I did the mods and the reply was that have them call me (Dealer Manager/Owner) and there will be no problems. Is this truel??? Well, I hope I don't have to test it but a least I thought of the problem. Also, without mentioning names, I am the one who talked with you last week about shipping my car to you from CA for the AWE 700 install. I do plan to run this by my dealer and see what they say. Who knows, they may cover it if they do the install.

PS I do have GIAC

Old 12-22-2008, 01:22 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IB Tim
....and how long will dealers that are doing it right now continue, the pressure is on for all them to stop.....food for thought.......
Phooooey and burp

Old 12-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by noah677
Mike
I had already thought of that BEFORE I did the mods and the reply was that have them call me (Dealer Manager/Owner) and there will be no problems. Is this truel??? Well, I hope I don't have to test it but a least I thought of the problem. Also, without mentioning names, I am the one who talked with you last week about shipping my car to you from CA for the AWE 700 install. I do plan to run this by my dealer and see what they say. Who knows, they may cover it if they do the install.

PS I do have GIAC
I certainly remember you!

Email me what dealer you would potentially be working with. I will see if I already have a contact there.

mike@awe-tuning.com

I have dealers worldwide that I work with that are very friendly, however, I know of others that won't go anywhere near a modified car... It's a real shame. Many of those dealers are missing out on a lot of money and repeat business...

Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
You are one of the lucky ones. Many dealers around the world are brutal when it comes to aftermarket mods. They are getting better as a whole, but not all.

Regarding your comment above, if you were to take your car to a not so friendly dealer with that software, all it will take is a glance at the boost gauge to see it's not stock. Then what?

There is no switching capability like G.I.A.C. where with the push of a button, you can go back to stock timing, fuel, and boost maps.
Mike,

I'm sure you are right. If they really wanted to, they could find out pretty easily. Luckily, I have a mod friendly dealer where the GM also happens to be a friend.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:01 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
that's why I try to buy my service techs lunch from time to time...

Old 12-22-2008, 03:01 PM
rockamoto is infamous around these parts
I can highly recommend Sharkwerks. They've installed the EVOM flash, new plenum, tubi street exhaust, Bilstien coilovers and H&R sway bars on my '07 997tt. The car is a blast to drive, better power, handling etc. They guys at Sharkwerks are great and their work is excellent.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:26 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
...and I go where Gotboost goes!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !

I remember Todd@AWE saying something about your own local dealer denying a warranty claim on your own shop car last month due to software modification. Whether it's GIAC or any other software they have the tools to find out if something has been modified.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ick-treat.html

Last edited by sharkster; 12-22-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by noah677
NOT TRUE. My dealer not only did not void my warranty but they did the mods--GIAC flash and tubi exhausts. You just have to find a dealer that will not be an AH and there are plenty out there. In fact the flash and muffler IMHO really does not affect anything except your fun factor----unless you completely beat up the car. PM me and I will give you the names of two dealers BUT I do not want to say their names or find them on this forum. Also some of their willingness may be tied into the fact that I am a good customer??
I think you're absolutely right... it's a two way street and I know the folks you're talking about and they're good guys!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by eclou
that's why I try to buy my service techs lunch from time to time...
ROFL... Mafia-style!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:44 PM
....and how long will dealers that are doing it right now continue, the pressure is on for all them to stop.....food for thought.......
It's two fold... some are actually getting "into" the modding scene (perhaps to keep an eye on it or to fill their coffers) where as others are putting up an even stronger wall- true!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by rockamoto
I can highly recommend Sharkwerks. They've installed the EVOM flash, new plenum, tubi street exhaust, Bilstien coilovers and H&R sway bars on my '07 997tt. The car is a blast to drive, better power, handling etc. They guys at Sharkwerks are great and their work is excellent.
Hey Rockamoto, cheers very much and it was a real pleasure and hopefully you had a bit more fun on the way back to work

Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
I remember Todd@AWE saying something about your own local dealer denying a warranty claim on your own shop car last month due to software modification. Whether it's GIAC or any other software they have the tools to find out if something has been modified.

Evidence of ECU tampering = scratch on the ECU case. Nothing more and nothing less. There was no denial of warranty based on anything they found inside the ECU physically or electronically.

Now that you have all the facts, if you wish to keep a link to that thread as some sort of way to bolster your argument, I think it shows you may have a ulterior motive here of discrediting us somehow.

I suggest keeping this thread on topic and not start a mud slinging campaign.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Todd/AWE
I think it shows you may have a ulterior motive here of discrediting us somehow.
Alex, I am curious as to how your switching actually works? You never really have gone into much detail.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 12-23-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !

I've called several dealerships in the LA area and all consistently say that if your ECU has been flashed, they do have the means to detect it, and will not cover warranty related repairs (i.e. engine and all related components). It will also be recorded under your VIN so any future repair claims will be denied. Any dealer willing to do warranty related work on ECU-flashed cars would be in clear violation of policy and if PCNA finds out, then hasta la vista baby. Those who are getting warranty repairs on modded cars, consider yourselves lucky. I can't imagine there would be many GMs or service managers willing to risk their jobs. Bottom line, better hook up with a well-trusted tuner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hesitant