997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hesitant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I am really glad to see this thread re-opened. There has been lots of valuable information discussed.

A few points should not be lost:
  1. Modifying your 997TT is immensely satisfying. It becomes a completely different car.
  2. There are several good tuners out there. Choose the one that you feel most comfortable with.
  3. Regardless of the manufacturer, most of the mods get you to the same place:
    • ECU flash (higher boost, modified ignition maps, lots more power)
    • Exhaust (louder, lighter, less back-pressure, a little more power)
    • Headers (louder, better flow, a little more power)
  4. Once you reach a certain level (probably above 600 HP) you need to start thinking about upgrading additional components like the clutch and intercoolers.
  5. Don't forget the suspension because it needs help too.
If you modify something, Porsche has the right to refuse to honor that portion of the warranty, period. Your dealer may promise to warranty mods or may be "mod-friendly" but, unless you have it in writing, there is always a chance Porsche could deny the claim and your "mod-friendly" dealer will quickly forget the promises made. There are all sorts of games people try to play to hide mods from Porsche, but if they are motivated to determine whether or not you are modified, they will find out. Spare ECU's, reflashing to stock, etc. are all detectible if Porsche looks hard enough.

So if you are willing to take some risk, you can transform your car with some relatively inexpensive modifications. Choose a tuner you like and go with them. If you are unhappy with the results, go somewhere else. If you want a fully intact warranty, don't modify your car.

Last edited by sparkhill; 12-24-2008 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
Great post.....and you are correct...we need to discuss this...

Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
What we need is a tuner shoot-out. Tune some cars, get some experts, add in a few regular people, drive the cars at the track, drive the cars around town, and have everyone rate what they like and dislike. I know it will never happen, but it sure would be great.

Alternately, send me the GIAC flash. I will put it on my car with my other mods, drive it around for a while before going back to EVOMS, and tell you what I think. EVOMS could do the same thing for people with the GIAC flash. It would be great because not many of use end-users have any way to compare one company to the other.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:59 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I think it's important to note again that there is NO flash that cannot be detected by the Porsche computer at the dealer regardless of what anybody says.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Alternately, send me the GIAC flash. I will put it on my car with my other mods, drive it around for a while before going back to EVOMS, and tell you what I think. EVOMS could do the same thing for people with the GIAC flash. It would be great because not many of use end-users have any way to compare one company to the other.
I like where you are going with this. The problem is there is more to programming then smoothness and overall power. Those are big parts of it, but not all of it.

Those are the differences we are trying to point out.

But we cant...

Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
I like where you are going with this. The problem is there is more to programming then smoothness and overall power. Those are big parts of it, but not all of it.

Those are the differences we are trying to point out.

But we cant...
The only place I am going is that I have never driven a GIAC car but I sure would like to. I think we know the differences on paper.

I went with EVOMS because I live near SharkWerks and that is what Alex sells and stands behind. If I lived near A.W.E. I would have probably gone with GIAC because that is what you sell and stand behind. If I did not live near any tuners, then the decision would be a lot more difficult.

I like the concept of the flash-loader but do not really need to switch programs. So, just send me the 91 octane flash, I will put it on my car drive it around for a couple of weeks and post an honest review compared to the EVOMS already on my car. If it far superior, I will buy the GIAC program. If GIAC is inferior, I will go back to EVOMS. If it is close, I will go back to EVOMS because I have already paid for that one. Repeat the offer to a handful of other people, offer refunds to anyone who wants to switch, and it will quickly become apparent if one is far superior to the other.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
Very good point........geography does play a roll in this....

I went with EVOMS because I live near SharkWerks and that is what Alex sells and stands behind. If I lived near A.W.E. I would have probably gone with GIAC because that is what you sell and stand behind. If I did not live near any tuners, then the decision would be a lot more difficult.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I would also love to see both flash tunes back to back on the same car. The only reason I went with GIAC because that is what Champion Motorsports offers as well as some Porsche dealers. So I feel sort of quasi protected as far as the warranty goes. We shall see.
I am still very interested in the Evo flash and could see myself changing if the results are significant. I know one thing, I drove TT Surgeons car with the PES tune and it makes a lot more tq than my car! So I gotta do something....

Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
I would also love to see both flash tunes back to back on the same car. The only reason I went with GIAC because that is what Champion Motorsports offers as well as some Porsche dealers. So I feel sort of quasi protected as far as the warranty goes. We shall see.
I am still very interested in the Evo flash and could see myself changing if the results are significant. I know one thing, I drove TT Surgeons car with the PES tune and it makes a lot more tq than my car! So I gotta do something....
Makes you wonder if it is the car, the flash, the exhaust, the other mods, the ambient conditions, something else or a combination of all of the above.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kafka997
I think it well established that modifying your TT brings warranty exclusions regardless of federal laws and dealer promises. I would like to know if the dealers who are promising to honor warranty after ECU flash actually do this when a problem arises. I had similar promises from my dealer but they never bore any fruit when I actually brought a problem them! My intent here is not to bash dealers as they have their own and Porsche restrictions placed upon them. And they do offer some important quality services.

This is reason we go to AWE or EVOMS or other reputable (sponsers) tuners on this Forum. From almost all accounts they offer reliable products and excellent before and after service. It's very rare to hear of their products of service not standing the test of time. In fact, has anyone heard of (or better yet, had) a serious problem arising from their products that would have been fully covered by warranty if the mods weren't done (I can't think of one).

I do not read AWE's statement regarding switching to "stock" mode as in any way returning the ECU to it's purely original state - only that the original timing etc. is re-introduced.

Happy holidays!

I can testify that my dealer DID honor his promise to me. By the way, if you want to find a dealer that is mod friendly you DO NOT do it by phone call. You take your car into the dealer and let him see you and your car in person. I get the feeling that a lot of people call around and generally that does not work. They don't know who your are on the phone ie a factory rep or what. As people should know, within LARGE limits, the dealer can do anything they want. I still think the best of all worlds is the dealer that will actually do the mods for you. Each dealer has limits as to what they feel comfortable with doing.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by noah677
I can testify that my dealer DID honor his promise to me. By the way, if you want to find a dealer that is mod friendly you DO NOT do it by phone call. You take your car into the dealer and let him see you and your car in person. I get the feeling that a lot of people call around and generally that does not work. They don't know who your are on the phone ie a factory rep or what. As people should know, within LARGE limits, the dealer can do anything they want. I still think the best of all worlds is the dealer that will actually do the mods for you. Each dealer has limits as to what they feel comfortable with doing.
...and each dealer knows which flashes cause problems...they won't say but they know.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by IB Tim
...and each dealer knows which flashes cause problems...they won't say but they know.
This is a great point. I went in, after doing a lot of research on exhaust, and they said they would prefer tubi. So I went with that and am happy. Was this done cause they know something or they make more money---I don't care as long as we are both happy

Old 12-24-2008, 01:14 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by noah677
This is a great point. I went in, after doing a lot of research on exhaust, and they said they would prefer tubi. So I went with that and am happy. Was this done cause they know something or they make more money---I don't care as long as we are both happy
Great thread - my understanding of warranty claims is that someone other than car owner pays, usually PCNA, so in the corporate environment you'll usually find PCNA tryng to deny for the obvious reasons - mods, etc. Now if a dealer says he'll warranty mods then he is indicating he's willing to pay or find a way to get PCNA to pay. If damage "caused" by mods results in money out of pocket be prepared for resistance whether from the dealer or PCNA no matter what the dealer said during the heat of the purchase. The only sure way to avoid warranty disputes is to not mod.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Great thread - my understanding of warranty claims is that someone other than car owner pays, usually PCNA, so in the corporate environment you'll usually find PCNA tryng to deny for the obvious reasons - mods, etc. Now if a dealer says he'll warranty mods then he is indicating he's willing to pay or find a way to get PCNA to pay. If damage "caused" by mods results in money out of pocket be prepared for resistance whether from the dealer or PCNA no matter what the dealer said during the heat of the purchase. The only sure way to avoid warranty disputes is to not mod.
Sorry, you are 100% wrong and I am living proof. At the dealers discretion, they have a fund which very few know about and they can get you a entire new engine if they are so inclined without any trouble at all.

Last edited by noah677; 12-24-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am simply a customer
-
Sometimes modding cars and discussing warranty publicly takes a quiet issue and places it center stage . The tuners lose , the dealerships lose, the customers lose .. not good for anyone in my opinion. I see no gain from this type of thread.

Some believe that warranty is some majic carpet of protection yet examples can be cited where even a stock car has faced repair hurdles.
Some believe that modifying exposes the risk of NON repair and that's not always true either .

The answer --it's ALL in how well one negotiates and copes with his car.

Lastly -- My car has my name on the title . It doesn't have the tuners name nor the factory . The owner is ultimately responsible with what he does with his car and how he deals with fixing it . In short --no one will tell me what to do with my car . If I am happy I give more business and if not I walk from it .

I have been extremly happy with my mods at this time and if I wasn't I would walk away from the car. this board , Porsche --in a heart beat .

As a customer I think it's in Porsches best interest to sell me a 9th Porsche and for anyone who sells me a product for my car to work with me the best they can .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hesitant