997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hesitant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 PM
MKTURBO is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JZRS4
My dealer is working with Alex!
If you are upfront with the service manager its amazing how much you can accomplish. This is one case where begging forgiveness is a bad idea.
I would encourage you to use your dealer. Let them ship out the ECU to Sharkwerks.
FWIW, my dealer advised against the ECU until 1000k miles. They didn't refuse to do it earlier, they just said its not a good idea.

The dealer installed all my other mods from Alex and there are at least a dozen others at the dealer who did the same thing.
are you using the exchange in chicago? i am also from chicago...

Old 12-27-2008, 09:00 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Please correct me:

1-The lattest EVOMSit works with OEM turbos ?
2-The SPORT botton turns on/off the EVOMSit prog?
3-It auto detects race fuel?

Now I have EVOMS handheld 4 prog and I switch from OEM to PUMP,RACE,KILL,Vallet when I want,this will not be available with the lattest EVOMSit prog?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:07 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
The dealer is really caught in a bad position here. If they turn a blind eye to mods and get caught they put their dealership at risk. If they flag everything and **** off the customer they loose potential sales/service down the road.

IMHO the approach to modifying your car and the consequences is your own. Protomotive, EVO and GIAC are all top knotch outfits. Each has pro & cons. Search the archives and you will turn up a wealth of information.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Luiscarlos,
I believe the answer is "yes" to your first three questions. However, EVOsit (they used to use GIAC but no longer) does not offer a hand held device for switching fuel/setting options. From the many posts on this subject I gather some like this feature while others prefer the hand held (GIAC) device that also offers some additional options. EVOs web site has more details. GIAC website offers more info re hand held etc. You already may know this, if so my apologies.
K.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
People person

While it may have been implied in previous posts, I think it is more than just a dealer being mod friendly. From my experience with a few dealers it seems that the service manager's personality and communications skills play a large part as well. Some are very skilled, while others.....well I just have to wonder! However, this not specific to Porsche dealers.
K.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:36 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kafka997
While it may have been implied in previous posts, I think it is more than just a dealer being mod friendly. From my experience with a few dealers it seems that the service manager's personality and communications skills play a large part as well. Some are very skilled, while others.....well I just have to wonder! However, this not specific to Porsche dealers.
K.
Not only the relationship with a service manager, and their relationship with you as a customer and Porsche North America's representative. Afterall, Porsche's got the final say in any dispute.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:56 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
It goes beyond the service manager. My local dealer in Pasadena is Rusnak and from speaking with the service manager, Mr. Rusnak has put the kabosh on mods. He's not hurting for business. Imo, people who are P-car enthusiasts will continue to buy Porsches regardless if the dealer is mod-friendly or not.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
It goes beyond the service manager. My local dealer in Pasadena is Rusnak and from speaking with the service manager, Mr. Rusnak has put the kabosh on mods. He's not hurting for business. Imo, people who are P-car enthusiasts will continue to buy Porsches regardless if the dealer is mod-friendly or not.

Do you know what's the most most liberating feeling ?
I don't live my life caring what "Mr Rusnak" thinks when it comes to my car that I paid for.
Now I don't expect a region with low octane and high volume Prius (comprising a majority) to be all that thrilled with modded up cars .
But as long as they don't live my life or pay my bills then they can say whatever they want .

Yanno --it's ok to be unique .

Old 12-29-2008, 12:49 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Modification emancipation--nothing like freedom to mod! One reason for the high Prius numbers out here can be attributed to their eligibilty to drive in car pools lanes with no passengers. Believe me, it's worth it, even you have to drive a Prius.

Btw, even though Rusnak is only a few miles from my house, I went with another dealer b/c I really don't care for the dealership.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Modification emancipation--nothing like freedom to mod! One reason for the high Prius numbers out here can be attributed to their eligibilty to drive in car pools lanes with no passengers. Believe me, it's worth it, even you have to drive a Prius.

Btw, even though Rusnak is only a few miles from my house, I went with another dealer b/c I really don't care for the dealership.

I rented a Prius and got free parking at the Hotel . I respect some of the effort but refuse to have it forced on me .

I love the region but I would adapt and part of that process might be having the car but driving it less and finding someone who can fix it before even buying it. Or maybe NOT buying it .

If I lived in Manhattan I might buy a Porsche either. In other words I examine the paramters and figure out the choices I make which fit within them . I don't however measure them by someone elses expectations.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I rented a Prius and got free parking at the Hotel . I respect some of the effort but refuse to have it forced on me .

I love the region but I would adapt and part of that process might be having the car but driving it less and finding someone who can fix it before even buying it. Or maybe NOT buying it .

If I lived in Manhattan I might buy a Porsche either. In other words I examine the paramters and figure out the choices I make which fit within them . I don't however measure them by someone elses expectations.
Totally agree. I lived in Manhattan for 7 years. I just rented a car when needed. Probably would never consider owning a Porsche in Manhattan although I know that there are those that do. Same goes for Boston. The nice thing about SoCal, of course, is the weather and those times when the 5 lane-freeways are wide open. Not to mention the beach, the CA coast, and the mountain roads of the Angeles National Forest...

Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, I encourage all of you to call your service manager and ask them about the warranty. This is a great discussion, but facts are facts and a warranty will only be null and void if the aftermarket part was the cause of the problem. It was much easier 10 years ago for OEM's to walk from warranties as OBD's were not able to provide the information they can today. Your SM will tell you the risk associated with each aftermarket part and what you stand to face come warranty claim time.

Would an ECU remap be under the label of misuse and abuse? This is a subjective question. Most people that mod cars drive more aggressively. Dealers know this and they assume that aggression means abuse. That is not the case and in most cases its just the opposite. Each of you is smart enough to know what abuse is and that is the main word that used to address the warranty. Not did the guy have an ECU. If the ECu remapping were creating massive amounts of abuse on the engine and drive train we would have heard about it by now. The truth is these cars are built to take a beating.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Guys, I encourage all of you to call your service manager and ask them about the warranty. This is a great discussion, but facts are facts and a warranty will only be null and void if the aftermarket part was the cause of the problem. It was much easier 10 years ago for OEM's to walk from warranties as OBD's were not able to provide the information they can today. Your SM will tell you the risk associated with each aftermarket part and what you stand to face come warranty claim time.

Would an ECU remap be under the label of misuse and abuse? This is a subjective question. Most people that mod cars drive more aggressively. Dealers know this and they assume that aggression means abuse. That is not the case and in most cases its just the opposite. Each of you is smart enough to know what abuse is and that is the main word that used to address the warranty. Not did the guy have an ECU. If the ECu remapping were creating massive amounts of abuse on the engine and drive train we would have heard about it by now. The truth is these cars are built to take a beating.
True, if the mod doesn't cause the problem the warranty "shouldn't" be voided...but unfortunately many dealers take the position that mods void warranty...they don't have to prove that the mod caused the problem - they just say "warranty voided" and then leave it up to you to fight the battle. Best to find the friendly dealer.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:47 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
True, if the mod doesn't cause the problem the warranty "shouldn't" be voided...but unfortunately many dealers take the position that mods void warranty...they don't have to prove that the mod caused the problem - they just say "warranty voided" and then leave it up to you to fight the battle. Best to find the friendly dealer.
This is just not the case, no dealer has the power to handle warranty issues. The Porsche regional rep does!
Believe it or not, this person is human and you can speak to him. Better yet, you can be there when he does his walk through!
Again, the dealer does not make this call!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
This is just not the case, no dealer has the power to handle warranty issues. The Porsche regional rep does!
Believe it or not, this person is human and you can speak to him. Better yet, you can be there when he does his walk through!
Again, the dealer does not make this call!
All dealers have the power to handle warranty issues - call your guy and ask him. If your radio goes out do you think he's going to call the PCNA rep for a walk around? In this case your dealer will honor the warranty and submit the claim to PCNA for reimbursement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hesitant