997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hesitant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:10 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
All dealers have the power to handle warranty issues - call your guy and ask him. If your radio goes out do you think he's going to call the PCNA rep for a walk around? In this case your dealer will honor the warranty and submit the claim to PCNA for reimbursement.
how can you compare a radio going to the content of this thread?
See if your dealer makes the call regarding your drivetrain, your engine or any other major component and stop arguing for the sake of arguing. I have owned and serviced a few modded cars and have a 100% understanding of how the system works.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JZRS4
how can you compare a radio going to the content of this thread?
See if your dealer makes the call regarding your drivetrain, your engine or any other major component and stop arguing for the sake of arguing. I have owned and serviced a few modded cars and have a 100% understanding of how the system works.
Not arguing - just trying to get a better understanding of the process...and reconcile your experieince with that of Noah who says his mod friendly dealer will take care of any warranty problems for him. I get the impression from Noah that PCNA would not be involved in that case. All in all, it really won't matter until or unless there's a problem. My TT is mod'ed (exhaust and tune) and I'm hoping to not have to find out what will happen if there's an engine problem.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Not arguing - just trying to get a better understanding of the process...and reconcile your experieince with that of Noah who says his mod friendly dealer will take care of any warranty problems for him. I get the impression from Noah that PCNA would not be involved in that case. All in all, it really won't matter until or unless there's a problem. My TT is mod'ed (exhaust and tune) and I'm hoping to not have to find out what will happen if there's an engine problem.
I have yet to hear of any horror stories or nightmares and I looked for them. If you are nervous there is really nothing a forum can do to put you at ease. All we are going to do is share our experiences, some of them are real, some of them are pretend. When someone tells you their dealer took care of the issue and they really do own the car, you should trust what they are telling you is the truth. You are not driving a Civic, or a modded M3. Your car was built for boats of abuse and years of hard driving. Porsche like all OEM's provided the masses with a car that was capable of whole lot more, but of course their research told them that there were risks (warranty) associated with it, so they detune the car and off it goes.
Until someone posts numerous problems with these cars, documented on Porsche Letterhead I would not worry. The flip side to this is you could have bought an A4 or 3 series and modded the crap out of it, the car was never capable of this type of internal abuse. There are tons of documented cases of people trying to get a car to perform way past safe and dependable levels. These same people **** and moan about lack of warranty. There are also a bunch of people that simply have no clue how to drive, they over rev and so all sorts of dumb stuff and then blame the mods. You bought a 100K + car, your OEM knows this and you are in good company. I can't even begin to tell you how many TT's have mods. I can tell you from my last experience, I was the only modded BMW that my dealer serviced, and I got looks from the entire service department. Even with a snapped off drive shaft in hand and the car on a flat bed, the car was fixed under warranty. I know I am not special, I just pay attention to things like warranties and make sure I am armed with more info then the guy being told to deny me coverage.
Like I said before, Porsche and all of their dealers read this forum. So just by posting you have informed the entire dealer network you modded your car. It would be easier for Porsche to send us all letters, but they don't

The warranty issue has been going on for so long I am kinda surprised people still talk about it. Bottom line, if the aftermarket part caused the failure you have no leg to stand on. Buy reputable parts from companies that stand behind their products. I find this to be the difficult part.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
"I have yet to hear of any horror stories or nightmares and I looked for them.
Your car was built for boats of abuse and years of hard driving. Porsche like all OEM's provided the masses with a car that was capable of whole lot more, but of course their research told them that there were risks (warranty) associated with it, so they detune the car and off it goes.
Until someone posts numerous problems with these cars, documented on Porsche Letterhead I would not worry.
Buy reputable parts from companies that stand behind their products. I find this to be the difficult part."
JZRS4, thanks for this! Cars can have problems regardless of mods but the P car is about as solid as they come. End of story. Enjoy it. Zooooooom.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JZRS4
Guys, I encourage all of you to call your service manager and ask them about the warranty. This is a great discussion, but facts are facts and a warranty will only be null and void if the aftermarket part was the cause of the problem. It was much easier 10 years ago for OEM's to walk from warranties as OBD's were not able to provide the information they can today. Your SM will tell you the risk associated with each aftermarket part and what you stand to face come warranty claim time.

Would an ECU remap be under the label of misuse and abuse? This is a subjective question. Most people that mod cars drive more aggressively. Dealers know this and they assume that aggression means abuse. That is not the case and in most cases its just the opposite. Each of you is smart enough to know what abuse is and that is the main word that used to address the warranty. Not did the guy have an ECU. If the ECu remapping were creating massive amounts of abuse on the engine and drive train we would have heard about it by now. The truth is these cars are built to take a beating.
I have to make another plea. UNLESS you are known very well by the person you are talking to about mods---Do not call. Go in person.

The other thing is that I was allowed to make my mods BUT there is definitely a limit that my dealer will impose. I cannot do anything I want. The dealer knows what they are comfortable with, what works, and what will, basically, cause little, if any, problems. (this has been said before) As far as how far up the service dept has to go to get approval, I don't care as long as they honor their "deal" with me and others---I am definitely not the only one that they have done mods for. But again I maintain that a dealer has more power than you think.

Also, other things can happen--like the dealership is sold, or "my guys" leave etc etc. Like traveling, I had to consider all the angels that I could.