997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hesitant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:41 AM
SPEEDOFHEAT is infamous around these parts
Hesitant

Hello all,

I'm thinking of doing the SharkWerks flash to my ecu. I currently have the Evoms BRV, Tubi exhaust,Werks One intake, and RSS plenum installed on the car. My biggest concern is reliablity with a flash. Also, warranty issues with said flash. The SharkWerks guys seem to have their ducks in a row, but I would like some forum opinions before contacting them directly. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but maybe some more recent experiences are in order. Merry Christmas.

Thanks

Last edited by SPEEDOFHEAT; 12-22-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-22-2008, 01:02 AM
bond525is is infamous around these parts
If you are hesitant get a different tuner.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Your warranty (at least the engine portion) will be gone. The car is completely different after the flash. SharkWerks has lots of options available, so talk to Alex and he will help you get where you want to be. SharkWerks flashed my car at 200 miles and I am very satisfied.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:19 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Sharkwerks uses EVOMSit for their ECU flashes. I have it on my tt and it is simply awesome. As far as the warranty goes, my dealer was not able to detect with the PIWIS. I let them know that the ECU was flashed, but they said the PIWIS did not pick it up.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:36 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have a very similar setup to yours except I also have the intercoolers and the 700 modified Turbos . My car has been flawless and and I am just about to reach 7K miles very soon.

As for warranty jitters? You already started running the bases after you hit the ball with the first modification and home plate is just waiting there for you . No guts no glory !!! Now dig those heels in and run.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:37 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
If they drive the car, they will know it has been flashed, so flash it back to stock if you're worried about warranty issues when you take it in. Even though the PIWIS won't detect the flash, flashing is detectable by other means. After all it's a computer. If you're truly concerned about warranty issues, then keep a little piece of mind and wait until you're NOT hesitant. That said, you have a fair amount of mods right now, so there are already warranty concerns. Personally, I would just go with the flash. You have all the other goodies but the key component. Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
My dealer is working with Alex!
If you are upfront with the service manager its amazing how much you can accomplish. This is one case where begging forgiveness is a bad idea.
I would encourage you to use your dealer. Let them ship out the ECU to Sharkwerks.
FWIW, my dealer advised against the ECU until 1000k miles. They didn't refuse to do it earlier, they just said its not a good idea.

The dealer installed all my other mods from Alex and there are at least a dozen others at the dealer who did the same thing.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JZRS4
My dealer is working with Alex!
If you are upfront with the service manager its amazing how much you can accomplish. This is one case where begging forgiveness is a bad idea.
I would encourage you to use your dealer. Let them ship out the ECU to Sharkwerks.
FWIW, my dealer advised against the ECU until 1000k miles. They didn't refuse to do it earlier, they just said its not a good idea.

The dealer installed all my other mods from Alex and there are at least a dozen others at the dealer who did the same thing.
Amazing--it must be that Chicago thing. Anyone know of any dealers in the LA area that will do aftermarket mods and still honor warranty? Certainly not Rusnak in Pasadena or Dowtown LA.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Amazing--it must be that Chicago thing. Anyone know of any dealers in the LA area that will do aftermarket mods and still honor warranty? Certainly not Rusnak in Pasadena or Dowtown LA.
Hey Dave, I actually see where you're coming from and to be honest the dealers in the LA-area are _known_ for being way more strict about this sort of thing than anywhere else I know of The rest of the country seems to be far more relaxed about it and in fact many Porsche dealerships are actually "flashing" cars as EVO dealers now.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Hey Sharky, +1 for stretching your contacts to dealerships in Chicago, if not beyond. Any chance you can break into the LA market too and convince some of these pinheads to at least take some baby steps?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Hey Sharky, +1 for stretching your contacts to dealerships in Chicago, if not beyond. Any chance you can break into the LA market too and convince some of these pinheads to at least take some baby steps?
Hey Dave, I'll ask Todd@EVO and see what he says

In the mean-time doing another Stage II one!

Last edited by sharkster; 12-22-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:04 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SPEEDOFHEAT
Hello all,

I'm thinking of doing the SharkWerks flash to my ecu. I currently have the Evoms BRV, Tubi exhaust,Werks One intake, and RSS plenum installed on the car. My biggest concern is reliablity with a flash. Also, warranty issues with said flash. The SharkWerks guys seem to have their ducks in a row, but I would like some forum opinions before contacting them directly. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but maybe some more recent experiences are in order. Merry Christmas.

Thanks
NOT TRUE. My dealer not only did not void my warranty but they did the mods--GIAC flash and tubi exhausts. You just have to find a dealer that will not be an AH and there are plenty out there. In fact the flash and muffler IMHO really does not affect anything except your fun factor----unless you completely beat up the car. PM me and I will give you the names of two dealers BUT I do not want to say their names or find them on this forum. Also some of their willingness may be tied into the fact that I am a good customer??

Last edited by noah677; 12-22-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
As far as the warranty goes, my dealer was not able to detect with the PIWIS.
You are one of the lucky ones. Many dealers around the world are brutal when it comes to aftermarket mods. They are getting better as a whole, but not all.

Regarding your comment above, if you were to take your car to a not so friendly dealer with that software, all it will take is a glance at the boost gauge to see it's not stock. Then what?

There is no switching capability like G.I.A.C. where with the push of a button, you can go back to stock timing, fuel, and boost maps.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by noah677
NOT TRUE. My dealer not only did not void my warranty but they did the mods--GIAC flash and tubi exhausts. You just have to find a dealer that will not be an AH and there are plenty out there. In fact the flash and muffler IMHO really does not affect anything except your fun factor----unless you completely beat up the car. PM me and I will give you the names of two dealers BUT I do not want to say their names or find them on this forum. Also some of their willingness may be tied into the fact that I am a good customer??
Consider yourself lucky if you have found a mod friendly service department. Most are willing to provide warranty service - especially if they were the ones doing to ECU flash, etc.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
....and how long will dealers that are doing it right now continue, the pressure is on for all them to stop.....food for thought.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hesitant