997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is it possible to negotiate on a end of lease buyout?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 AM
joecmess is infamous around these parts
Is it possible to negotiate on a end of lease buyout?

Given rapid drops in value of the turbo, is it possible to negotiate the buyout figure at the end of a lease?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2008, 11:15 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Always has been available. Some will bargain a few months before your lease has ended. Some will wait to last payment. You know you have to pay the tax on the new price at buyout.

Pretty simple. They do not want them back at this time. So you might have a good chance to take it for a really good deal.

GL

Old 12-28-2008, 12:09 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Always has been available. Some will bargain a few months before your lease has ended. Some will wait to last payment. You know you have to pay the tax on the new price at buyout.

Pretty simple. They do not want them back at this time. So you might have a good chance to take it for a really good deal.

GL
Not sure, but I would think that most dealers would be less willing to end a lease early these days, as the price of the 997TT and most sports cars are falling faster...you would think that the sale of a leased vehicle would bring a lower premiium than before.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joecmess
Given rapid drops in value of the turbo, is it possible to negotiate the buyout figure at the end of a lease?

Thanks
It depends on the bank ... almost all leases are closed ended but with the given economy Im sure they would much rather have the customer keep the car then take the full residual loss at the auction. This is of course if their residual is higher than ACV and right now that is the case everywhere.

I know Chase negotiates or did as they worked with me on my 2004 E55. They have some formula that uses auctions sales, KBB, and a few other inputs to determine the going price. I ended up negotiating my payoff down 5k based on ACV at the time in Sept of 2007. The only hard restriction they gave me is that I could not starting working with them until 180 days to term. Today that value would be much much less.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:46 PM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
My bank started contacting me a year before the lease end date but wouldn't negotiate the price down very much (about $1k). I countered and they wouldn't accept it so I'm waiting a bit and will try again. I got the impression that they don't want to get the Porsche back.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:16 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I would say they would almost certainly bargain to avoid getting a vehicle that they then have to dispose of in an unfavorable economic environment.

I got 5Gs off my residual of my Cayenne TT about 2 months ago. Offer them wholesale and they will probably take it.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:23 PM
thanks for the responses. I would love to get 5k off, which basically covers the tax. I'll report back any news.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:18 PM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
i had a chase lease for a 996tt (03) that was over in 06-i gave it back with the max miles allowed-about 40,000. i wanted to keep that baby as i loved the car-the residual was high, about $79,000. the car was worth about $64,000-they wouldn't negotiate a dollar off-i called and spoke to several different employees and got the same answer. i would think with today's economic environment, they would negotiate. i am about half way through a lease now on a mercedes E63-i would love for them to want to negotiate that one down a bunch-i would keep that car too.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
You can ask, but chances are you'll be denied. As others have posted, you might get some relief with a 1-3K incentive. Put yourself in the leasing companies shoes and you'll see why this is a no win situation for them. It makes more sense for them to sit and wait for you to miss a payment and repo.
The only leverage you might have is to trade it in, take the loss and put it in the new car. Get the new car at a huge discount to erase the loss on your existing car. Your dealer wants his current inventory off his floor! His trader value on your existing car is going to be insulting at best, don't take it personally. Your car is going to auction and it will sell for 20% less then you think its really worth.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Yes. Yes. and Yes. Banks will definately negotiate the buyouts with you. They are much better off selling you the car at a discounted payoff rather than taking their chances at the auctions. If you look at Manheim or Adessa reports, the values on these cars have been dropping pretty rapidly. Whoever your leasing bank is, give them a call. Remember that this has nothing to do with your dealer. It is bewteen you and your lender.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
bruceinmiami is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Yes. Yes. and Yes. Remember that this has nothing to do with your dealer. It is between you and your lender.
exactly. in these horible economic times, if you can afford to aleviate a depreciating asset from their books, you wield a very strong negotiation leverage, my friend.

you just need to talk to someone up the ladder who's a shot-caller.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I always knew you would end up buying it when the lease was up!! Even with our winter drive rock chips!!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bruceinmiami
exactly. in these horible economic times, if you can afford to aleviate a depreciating asset from their books, you wield a very strong negotiation leverage, my friend.

you just need to talk to someone up the ladder who's a shot-caller.
bruce is right-talk to someone who can make a decision

Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 PM
porschegsm is infamous around these parts
Not sure if I missed it but if the lease is thru Porsche Finance....Go to your or your local dealer. They can ground the car and they get the option to buy it at or below wholesale. CPO the car and have the refi it to you at the incentivized finance rate they get. Porsche is offering a rate as low as 1.99 on off lease cayenne models....a pretty good one on the sportscars as well.
Raj

Old 12-29-2008, 08:59 PM
This sounds encouraging. I have some time, but I think I can get something to justify some of the interest I will be paying over time.

Hey Justin - you are right - I want to keep this one! Unless the new turbo is drastically better, why change?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to negotiate on a end of lease buyout?