997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GIAC rev limiter increase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
GIAC rev limiter increase

Has anyone included the GIAC 7000rpm or 7200rpm rev limiter with their ECU reflash? Can you comment on it and why you included this?
Thanks.
K.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kafka997
Has anyone included the GIAC 7000rpm or 7200rpm rev limiter with their ECU reflash? Can you comment on it and why you included this?
Thanks.
K.
My only comment is everytime you hit the new rev limit, your ECU will record a Range I over-rev error (number of ignitions spent at that RPM.) During resale, a high number of over-revs signals abuse, but then again, so does a flashed ECU.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Clarification please

Thanks bbywu.
I assume you mean that when I get near (not necessarily hit) the new rev limit, yet still above the stock rev limit, a Range 1 over limit error will be recorded. What I'm less clear on is the role of the newly flashed ECU. How does this effect the recording of the errors if it thinks the new limit is 7000? Does the reflash automatically record various errors regardless of the new rev limit? Any thoughts of "engine longevity" (holding driving styles constant) with increased rev limit? Does the new limit really feel that different?
Ok, enough questions. Anyone else have any input on this issue?
K.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:24 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Thanks bbywu.
I assume you mean that when I get near (not necessarily hit) the new rev limit, yet still above the stock rev limit, a Range 1 over limit error will be recorded. What I'm less clear on is the role of the newly flashed ECU. How does this effect the recording of the errors if it thinks the new limit is 7000? Does the reflash automatically record various errors regardless of the new rev limit? Any thoughts of "engine longevity" (holding driving styles constant) with increased rev limit? Does the new limit really feel that different?
Ok, enough questions. Anyone else have any input on this issue?
K.
Hmmm, you may have to ask Alex or Stephen about that...I'm pretty sure you will still record an over rev...doubtful it will hurt anything.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Good question, hopefully the GIAC guys will chime in. It was my uinderstanding that the flash option that raises the rev limiter did just that, but any number of revs over the stock 6750 rev limit would still be recorded as over revs by the DME. That's why I kept mine at the stock rev limit.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
It is funny about this flash stuff. I got a GIAC flash and did not ask for the increase, but, to my surprise, I got it anyway.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Comment?

Originally Posted by noah677
It is funny about this flash stuff. I got a GIAC flash and did not ask for the increase, but, to my surprise, I got it anyway.
Noah677, can you comment on your experience with the increased rev limiter? 7000rpm or 7200rpm ?A little more "noticeable" power? Any heat issues? How many miles and what kind of driving have you done with it? Any warning lights? Etc.
Thanks!
K.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
My only comment is everytime you hit the new rev limit, your ECU will record a Range I over-rev error (number of ignitions spent at that RPM.) During resale, a high number of over-revs signals abuse, but then again, so does a flashed ECU.

<!--StartFragment -->Actually, all of our current 997TT files have the over rev counters re-calibrated to the new rev limiter. You will not incur any counts of ignitions when staying below our 7200 rpm limit. This is truly one of the many unique advantages of a GIAC 997TT flash. Miss shifts or hammering the new rpm limiter excessively, can result in some counts, as they would on the stock program with the stock rev limit.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Why in US you are using ECU solutions different than we have in Europe? Why in Europe we didn't hear about GIAC?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
I'm serious, I just would like to know.

My electronic guy and some other ecu guys in Europe can do with ecu whatever you want.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Apologies

Was just trying to help and tell you the truth;( Go to any dealer right now and see how many thousands of over rev codes you have registered. Stock does NOT equal stock. I should know;(
Folks,
I gather I have unwittingly upset or offended some one (or parties) with one of my posts in this thread (given the more than 300 -negative reputation response - yikes, is this a record? ). While I'm confused which exact post (or posts) this might be I assure you it was unintentional and certainly not in any way a personal attack. My apologies.
Thanks for the informative responses to my original question.
Happy New Year.
K.

P.S. Perhaps an administrator could offer an explanation of how this can occur so suddently.

Last edited by Kafka997; 01-01-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Folks,
I gather I have unwittingly upset or offended some one (or parties) with one of my posts in this thread (given the more than 300 -negative reputation response - yikes, is this a record? ). While I'm confused which exact post (or posts) this might be I assure you it was unintentional and certainly not in any way a personal attack. My apologies.
Thanks for the informative responses to my original question.
Happy New Year.
K.
I would contact internet brands asap. That is unacceptable.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:00 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Andrew@GIAC
<!--StartFragment -->Actually, all of our current 997TT files have the over rev counters re-calibrated to the new rev limiter. You will not incur any counts of ignitions when staying below our 7200 rpm limit. This is truly one of the many unique advantages of a GIAC 997TT flash. Miss shifts or hammering the new rpm limiter excessively, can result in some counts, as they would on the stock program with the stock rev limit.

Andrew, when did the over rev counter re-cal occur?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:45 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
I have been told increasing the rev limiter adds nothing to acceleration speed. The turbos offer nothing more after 6500-6700 anyway. For best acceleration it is best to shift out of first while a bit earlier than 6700. Keeping alert to do that is just a pain in the ***, it happens in an instance. For that reason and only that reason, it must be a bit of a thrill with the slush-automatic not having to worry about the tooth crushing rev limiter in 1st and 2nd when wanting the max out of your 911 turbo. Remembering to shift in an instance is just hard to remember when those turbos let loose. This new electro-controlled manual coming on stream soon may be the way to go.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I can relate

I can relate - if you have even a mini-senior moment you are hitting the rev limiter in 1st! . Even the maximum benefit rpm shift points for each gear are tricky (for me) to figure out.

The rev limiter issues seems more complicated, and therefore more interesting, than I first imagined. Our P cars are very interesting and mods, regardless of which approach to technology you take, make it even more so. Good input folks.
K.

Originally Posted by johnww
I have been told increasing the rev limiter adds nothing to acceleration speed. The turbos offer nothing more after 6500-6700 anyway. For best acceleration it is best to shift out of first while a bit earlier than 6700. Keeping alert to do that is just a pain in the ***, it happens in an instance. For that reason and only that reason, it must be a bit of a thrill with the slush-automatic not having to worry about the tooth crushing rev limiter in 1st and 2nd when wanting the max out of your 911 turbo. Remembering to shift in an instance is just hard to remember when those turbos let loose. This new electro-controlled manual coming on stream soon may be the way to go.

Last edited by Kafka997; 01-03-2009 at 11:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC rev limiter increase