997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Re-flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Re-flash

I know that if you raise the stock redline the ecu it will save the number of times over stock rev. But what about the boost, if we raise it, will the ecu save any error? Same for fuel and timing.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
No Tiago... But your dealer will be able to tell/see if they look that the ECU has been flashed/modified. It's better to leave the rev limiter stock though.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Thanks. I had a 986S with some engine mods (TTP headers, cat bypass pipes, evo intake, re-flashed - more 400rpm over redline) and after two years it took a new engine due to porous engine block. At that time the dealer said that the manufacturer refused to give full warranty because the ecu diagnosis had too much periods over redline. The best deal that they managed it was 50% of warranty, because in their report they said that the car didn't had any aftermaket parts and seemed all stock.

My dealer can help in some issues, but they cannot cheat some tests. I just want to prevent any type of error just in case of a ecu diagnosis. I'm glad to hear that we can play with the ecu, since we don't mess with the stock redline.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Not an attorney, but I thought that under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act there has to be a cause-effect for anybody to deny coverage. Also not a mechanic but how does over reving an engine cause a porous block? Is there a mod that can cause a non-porous block to become a porous block? I wouldn't think so - but!!!! Good luck.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tiago
I know that if you raise the stock redline the ecu it will save the number of times over stock rev. But what about the boost, if we raise it, will the ecu save any error? Same for fuel and timing.
Hi Tiago,

There are calibrations with higher rev limiters that do not store a count for ignitions over the stock revlimiter. The GIAC calibrations for the 997 Turbo do not store these unless the car revs past our rev limiter. I posted the following on other thread.

Actually, all of our current 997TT files have the over rev counters re-calibrated to the new rev limiter. You will not incur any counts of ignitions when staying below our 7200 rpm limit. This is truly one of the many unique advantages of a GIAC 997TT flash. Miss shifts or hammering the new rpm limiter excessively, can result in some counts, as they would on the stock program with the stock rev limit.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Not an attorney, but I thought that under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act there has to be a cause-effect for anybody to deny coverage. Also not a mechanic but how does over reving an engine cause a porous block? Is there a mod that can cause a non-porous block to become a porous block? I wouldn't think so - but!!!! Good luck.
The problem it wasn't the cause of the porous block, because it was well know at that time (2002) that it was a comum problem in carrera and boxster engines. The problem it was that if you don't have the car stock you will lose the warranty. After the manufacturer analisys of the ecu diagnosis they realized that the ecu it wasn't stock due to the higher number of periods over rev for a stock ecu.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Andrew@GIAC
Hi Tiago,

There are calibrations with higher rev limiters that do not store a count for ignitions over the stock revlimiter.
Thanks for your input. Can you tell what can i expect with your newest version for a 07 tip (stock intercoolers)?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Thanks for your input. Can you tell what can i expect with your newest version for a 07 tip (stock intercoolers)?
Hi Tiago,

Here is the dyno plot for our latest tiptronic file revision:

We used Clay997tt's car for the revision as he also added a GMG exhaust and GT2 style intake before the flash. You can see his review here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-system-2.html

His review is post #47.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
The problem it wasn't the cause of the porous block, because it was well know at that time (2002) that it was a comum problem in carrera and boxster engines. The problem it was that if you don't have the car stock you will lose the warranty. After the manufacturer analisys of the ecu diagnosis they realized that the ecu it wasn't stock due to the higher number of periods over rev for a stock ecu.
My understanding of the act is that since the "non-stock" ECU did not cause the block to be porous, Porsche can't use the "non-stock" ECU as a reason to deny the warranty claim.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
I would say check Protomotive or Switzer...They made the quickest tip cars also

I know some of then ran 0-60 less than 3sec and 60-130 6.8sec!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
Originally Posted by Shotcaller

That is true with 6.8 sec. A guy in Houston, Anthony, pulled a 6.8 at Lonestar track. It looked so smooth going down the track that it looked slow, but when you came back the time was 6.8. Very impressive.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
Hi Tiago,
Here is the dyno plot for our latest tiptronic file revision:
Once i'm from europe and we use 98ron (your 93), i supose that the numbers will be higher for me. Can you send me a pm with the price and the things needed for the re-flash?
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
My understanding of the act is that since the "non-stock" ECU did not cause the block to be porous, Porsche can't use the "non-stock" ECU as a reason to deny the warranty claim.
The mods had nothing to do with the porous issue, but in europe the manufacturers rule over the customers. You don't have only bad things in US.
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Quick cars with ~10k on mods. And you don't need many things to achieve that price with 997TT aftermarket parts.

Last edited by Tiago; 01-09-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
oops - Didn't realize you were not in USA.