997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Reliability of the modified ~700 hp 997 TTs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:01 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I have about 4000 miles on my Protomotive K24/18g setup. Everyone likes to refer to it as the 650 hp kit. I've had no problems at all.

I believe the vast majority of engine damage is caused by people getting boost happy on pump gas. If you can exercise some restraint and use common sense you have nothing to worry about. These engines are extremely well built.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:20 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
)))))) 9FF...780HP here with lots of mods and engine build and so on...only runned 11.1 here at 128 or so...owner very disaponted and selling it now...

Last edited by GT RUS; 01-14-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 AM
greekm3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT RUS
)))))) 9FF...780HP here with lots of mods and engine build and so on...only runned 11.1 here at 128 or so...owner very disaponted and selling it now...
i know also a guy here with 590bhp kit from 9ff in his TT, here in greece, who is very disapointed also)))))))))))

Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT RUS
He should get a pro racer to test the car instead of him before make decision..

I been to dragway last weekend with my EVT700 setup,I did only 11.33 myself but my friend,a professional drag racer done my car in 10.97,thats with stock clutchs and stock tires.The launch is very important for modified 997tt.Cant be too high or too low,He did the launch job just about to perfact..

Old 01-14-2009, 02:20 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
I'm curious as to why you would want to modify your car, if as you say you drive very conservatively, don't use the car on a daily basis or on the track, and you're concerned about possible warranty issues.

If you want to have increased horsepower only for "bragging rights", you've got to know that the minute you roll it out of the shop someone else is going to drive up with 50 more horsepower than you. (Like the fastest gun in the West.)
I will answer this several ways. First, I am with Yarrlis1 in that it is my car and I will do what I want. Secondly, to mod the car satisfies my own INTERNAL smile and I don't need any stinking bragging rights. Because I say I drive my car conservatively does not mean I never get on it etc etc. If I wanted attention etc I would get a F car (which I can well afford) and have everyone point at me wherever I go. I hate that kind of attention. The warranty is somewhat of an issue, however, I will go to my mods friendly dealer and listen to what they say and then make my decision. I don't want to go to far and turn my tt into unwarrantied pile of junk. So to sum up, it is for my own internal satisfaction. Everyone on this forum has their own reasons.

By the way I am not buying the explanation of why the mods, over a period of time will decrease that much in power. That could be said of any car.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you with my question. It was just that you listed a number of reasons why one shouldn't modify a car. I've been down this road myself and in my case I over modified the car to the point it had more power than the platform could reliably accommodate.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by lintc0532
He should get a pro racer to test the car instead of him before make decision..

I been to dragway last weekend with my EVT700 setup,I did only 11.33 myself but my friend,a professional drag racer done my car in 10.97,thats with stock clutchs and stock tires.The launch is very important for modified 997tt.Cant be too high or too low,He did the launch job just about to perfact..
The thing is its TipS and been tested many times by diff driveres...The start off the line is worst then stock but after 3rd it starts to run away from VTG mod 630 Techart..which is also TipS is best did 10.78...

I think 780 package includes may be G28 or 30s turbos with such lag (boost arrives at 3000+) he cant launch from turbo zone like VTG can...other thing that they might not solved the problem with ECU cutting the power down in 1st 3 gears in order not to destroy the box...We had that problem with my previous TipS...only runned 0-in 3,2 and I wasnt happy...Lucky enough to have tuner like Tym Swizter who told ME what is the problem and went beyond him self and did everything to solve it and that is why my car produced such results...

Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you with my question. It was just that you listed a number of reasons why one shouldn't modify a car. I've been down this road myself and in my case I over modified the car to the point it had more power than the platform could reliably accommodate.
I get it and THANKS

Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
That must have been the funniest vid I've seen. Thanks for fixing my crappy day with a 5 minute laugh!

Last edited by bbywu; 01-15-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
That must have been the funniest vid I've seen. Thanks for fixing my crappy day with 5 minute laugh!

X2 Holy crap that was funny!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
tks for the video

Old 01-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Real failures missing - HELP!

I appreciate (thanks, good stuff) all the positive postings re reliability issues, and with no disrespect intended, all seem to positive but none have any serious miles (50K+) on their new power kits .I'm getting ready to pull the plug on a 600-620 kit so I'm collecting information, including from a reputable club that provides mechanics' advice (guys that race and rebuild engines - discretion requires that I not be more specific). They mention numerous 996 cases of rod bearing issues and engine rebuilds from upgraded kit, especially those that see over a dozen or so track days a year (internals are similar to 997 are they not?). They mention that tracking these cars (especially with new power kits) required engine rebuilds MUCH more frequently (50-100 track hours) - and I know that designated track/race cars require this. Even some stock 997s have problems so surely there are some with power kits that have problems as well - what are they and what can we do about it to minimize them?

For those of you have added the kits (especially the 700 kits ) and spend days on the track can you comment on this (any mechanics or engineers out there?), and:

1. Do you change your oil more regularly or do anything else proactively for reliability?
2. What if any plans do you have for extra engine wear and tear?
3. What does an engine rebuild (is the same as replacing rod bearings?) cost?
4. What are more of the mechanical issues involved that are yet to be discussed in this matter?
5. ***** This is NOT a criticism of any company or manufacturer of the quality kits and products out there - period! I just want more info when I pull the plug for planning purposes. Puleeeze, no company bashing, it's getting tiring. *****

K.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:16 AM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kafka997
I appreciate (thanks, good stuff) all the positive postings re reliability issues, and with no disrespect intended, all seem to positive but none have any serious miles (50K+) on their new power kits .I'm getting ready to pull the plug on a 600-620 kit so I'm collecting information, including from a reputable club that provides mechanics' advice (guys that race and rebuild engines - discretion requires that I not be more specific). They mention numerous 996 cases of rod bearing issues and engine rebuilds from upgraded kit, especially those that see over a dozen or so track days a year (internals are similar to 997 are they not?). They mention that tracking these cars (especially with new power kits) required engine rebuilds MUCH more frequently (50-100 track hours) - and I know that designated track/race cars require this. Even some stock 997s have problems so surely there are some with power kits that have problems as well - what are they and what can we do about it to minimize them?

For those of you have added the kits (especially the 700 kits ) and spend days on the track can you comment on this (any mechanics or engineers out there?), and:

1. Do you change your oil more regularly or do anything else proactively for reliability?
2. What if any plans do you have for extra engine wear and tear?
3. What does an engine rebuild (is the same as replacing rod bearings?) cost?
4. What are more of the mechanical issues involved that are yet to be discussed in this matter?
5. ***** This is NOT a criticism of any company or manufacturer of the quality kits and products out there - period! I just want more info when I pull the plug for planning purposes. Puleeeze, no company bashing, it's getting tiring. *****

K.
i think doing ecu tune, headers and exhaust should not reduce reliability?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Clarification please

cgng30,

Thanks for the reply. Could you provide some details (and or experience) how you come to your opinion. It's encouraging, so I'd like to know more!
Thanks in advance.
K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reliability of the modified ~700 hp 997 TTs?