997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

SPI 997 Sledgehammer 1000 HP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:02 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
SPI 997 Sledgehammer 1000 HP

I don't know if this is a repost or not, but this looks insane and that price tag of 50k for the mod, certainly a much cheaper way of getting 1000 HP.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090108....ersion-package

Old 01-09-2009, 07:25 AM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
That sir is what we call a quick death.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
That's a member's car and has been proven to be reliable. So I don't know where you are coming with the quick death statement.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, just saw it this morning here:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=19210
I too was also going to ask if it's more than a one hit (one run) wonder. A time bomb on wheels
Based on the comments above, I guess it's the real deal.
Astonishing.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:01 AM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
i think he means 1000 hp will be a quick death of the driver. I'd imagine keeping that car straight would be a hell of a tough time.

regardless, looks like a blast.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
That's a member's car and has been proven to be reliable. So I don't know where you are coming with the quick death statement.
How many miles have been put on this car since the mods?
I am willing to wager this motor with these mods will not see more then 10k miles if the driver is really hard on the car (who isn't) every time he drives it.
Not to mention the front end lift at high speeds, you might as well put a pair of wings on it and learn to fly
I know everyone wants the 9 sec trap and its amazing what this car can do, but as a daily driver its a recipe for disaster IMO.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
This is why 1000HP cars and superbikes should be in the hands of the over-35 crowd. Testosterone levels begin to wane just a bit which leads to more prudent use of the go pedal. And it's reasonably self-correcting for the high HP car crowd. Few sub-35 year olds can afford them. Can't say the same for superbikes. Thus the name 'donorcycles'.
But I could imagine that a thoughtful autophile could keep the thing in check. Just because it's got near-infinite horsepower doesn't mean you always have to use it.
I'm still surprised that all of the drivetrain bits can take the instantaneous (separate from accumulated) stress. Those Stuttgart smarties build one heck of a car.
Truth is, I still doubt it could hold together all that long. And I'm not betting against it nor criticizing the owner. I'd love to have one. OTOH, if you could afford to create it once, you likely could afford to create it after it melts down.

Originally Posted by emturbo
i think he means 1000 hp will be a quick death of the driver. I'd imagine keeping that car straight would be a hell of a tough time.

regardless, looks like a blast.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JZRS4
How many miles have been put on this car since the mods?
I am willing to wager this motor with these mods will not see more then 10k miles if the driver is really hard on the car (who isn't) every time he drives it.
Not to mention the front end lift at high speeds, you might as well put a pair of wings on it and learn to fly
I know everyone wants the 9 sec trap and its amazing what this car can do, but as a daily driver its a recipe for disaster IMO.
I cannot speak for the owner, but with the stock block intact it's up in the air as to how how long the motor will last. But with multiple dyno pulls, quarter-mile runs, mile runs, and a cross-country trip, it has proven to be reliable. Now you have to understand that these power levels have been achieved using racing/high octane fuel which I'm sure is not available everywhere and is not used all the time. Pump gas numbers are probably around the 600's, which is very reliable in these motors. No motor is immune to constant 1000+ whp abuse regardless of how built it is.

Last edited by Monaco; 01-09-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I cannot speak for the owner, but with the stock block intact it's up in the air as to how how long the motor will last. But with multiple dyno pulls, quarter-mile runs, mile runs, and a cross-country trip, it has proven to be reliable. Now you have to understand that these power levels have been achieved using racing/high octane fuel which I'm sure is not available everywhere and is not used all the time. Pump gas numbers are probably around the 600's, which is very reliable in these motors. No motor is immune to constant 1000+ whp abuse regardless of how built it is.
I hear ya, it will be interesting to see what happens. Someone else posted as you get older you tend to drive with more respect for the vehicle. While that might be true, why have a car with that much power and not open it up all the time. I baby my cars, but they are driven. I am also older then 35 and have never lost my heavy right foot.

I was told yesterday by a Porsche Cup driver that anything more then 500 hp on a stock block is asking for trouble in long term reliability. He went on an on an on, it was getting to the point that I didn't want to hear anymore that he had to say.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
This is why 1000HP cars and superbikes should be in the hands of the over-35 crowd. Testosterone levels begin to wane just a bit which leads to more prudent use of the go pedal. And it's reasonably self-correcting for the high HP car crowd. Few sub-35 year olds can afford them. Can't say the same for superbikes. Thus the name 'donorcycles'.
But I could imagine that a thoughtful autophile could keep the thing in check. Just because it's got near-infinite horsepower doesn't mean you always have to use it.
I'm still surprised that all of the drivetrain bits can take the instantaneous (separate from accumulated) stress. Those Stuttgart smarties build one heck of a car.
Truth is, I still doubt it could hold together all that long. And I'm not betting against it nor criticizing the owner. I'd love to have one. OTOH, if you could afford to create it once, you likely could afford to create it after it melts down.
Hey! I just turned 35 and my testosterone level is just fine!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:03 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
It's not like he's driving around with 850 whp all the time. I've had a car that powerful and slipping and sliding at 100mph is only fun for so long on the highway.

= low boost 90% of the time

high boost only when you need it. Following that formula, the car can easily make it for a while.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
It's not like he's driving around with 850 whp all the time. I've had a car that powerful and slipping and sliding at 100mph is only fun for so long on the highway.

= low boost 90% of the time

high boost only when you need it. Following that formula, the car can easily make it for a while.
In my last highly modded car a while would have been several months. I would have been thrilled with that. What do you think a while is on this car? I really don't think anyone who take on such a project drives 30 in a 55
It took me 48 hours to get my first speeding ticket in the Turbo.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM
It's not about how fast you drive, but how long you're in boost. I personally don't think the motor will last in a road course at 1000+ hp. But occasional spurts here and there and in a drag strip is not that bad.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
keang24 is infamous around these parts
same as this one belong to fellow member here,https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...twin-30rs.html

Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The car is listed in the for sale section with less than 1K miles . That's reliability "proof " ? How can you even draw a conclusion in either direction ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SPI 997 Sledgehammer 1000 HP