997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

This is why I prefer manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
There were a few at Road Atlanta last weekend and could run about 5 laps or so before getting overheating warnings. At least one or two of them. It was about 19* out too.

Never saw any of them on track for more than 8 laps at a time, most times only 4 or 5. I think they'll be running the OLOA (one lap of america).

Old 01-21-2009, 04:28 PM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Does any one know how many trans have broken in compared with sales on the GTR?

Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
There were a few at Road Atlanta last weekend and could run about 5 laps or so before getting overheating warnings. At least one or two of them. It was about 19* out too.

Never saw any of them on track for more than 8 laps at a time, most times only 4 or 5. I think they'll be running the OLOA (one lap of america).
There was one at the nj track with me, he never made the third session.....tranny overheated, flatbedded home.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
I find that Avatar offensive bbywu. Mods can we please have this bbywu character change his avatar to reflect a more professional and mature attitude in this forum.
stop causing trouble for me

just go buy the t-shirt: http://www.shop.greatertees.com/prod...2&productId=18

Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
It's $75K Supercar what do you expect?
PDK or F-1 on the Ferrari works just fine for me.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Chrisn, it is in all our interests that Nissan takes care of you. Even as Porsche owners, to see a unhealthy precedent set where other manufacturers start denying any responsibility for product performance is disturbing. BTW I cannot imagine the grief your wife must be giving you!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Slightly off-topic but does anyone know what Clarkson was talking about on last week's episode of Top Gear when he said something to the effect that each transmission is specifically tailored to one engine and could not be used in any other GT-R. It sounded like fliuff but still has me wondering that, if true, just how hard it would be to repair the transmission.

5:21 seconds in

Old 01-21-2009, 06:51 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
stop causing trouble for me

just go buy the t-shirt: http://www.shop.greatertees.com/prod...2&productId=18
BWAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA

I cant believe someone made a t-shirt. The fanboys probably think I did it.

Originally Posted by sparkhill
Slightly off-topic but does anyone know what Clarkson was talking about on last week's episode of Top Gear when he said something to the effect that each transmission is specifically tailored to one engine and could not be used in any other GT-R. It sounded like fliuff but still has me wondering that, if true, just how hard it would be to repair the transmission.

5:21 seconds in

If you read the thread that was posted earlier, you'll see that not only are the engines and tranny stamped to the car, but if you dont follow strict procedure when removing the tranny while using their consult three, it wont work when you put it back in. There is a guy in that thread experiencing just that problem. The car now HAS to be worked on by Nissan, and I doubt they'll work with his modded gearsets. He's in real deep right now. The simple tranny upgrade is going to turn into a nightmare.

And with the growing list of people with problems, it's only going to get worse. What's even worse is guys who dont have a GT-R dealer nearby, or have to wait for a week for the Japanese tech to get there.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
That sucks...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hey Chris, rotten luck but as usual thanks for giving it real and straight.... I wonder what you think of the PDK as a tranny by comparison. You can always try it out on our slow 997S and yes I've launched it a few times

Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The socalled japanese poor man's turbo is turning out to be a joke. That engine/tranny mating stuff is a load of crap nissan is putting down.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
Exactly why I told chrisn that I didn't think double clutch was ready for prime time yet.

Porsche is probably watching this closely (with a grin and smile.) I hope they work on PDK before releasing it on a torque monster like the GT2 or TT.

If it worked in a 956/962 im sure they will get it right.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by eclou
Chrisn, it is in all our interests that Nissan takes care of you. ..... BTW I cannot imagine the grief your wife must be giving you!
Thanks. You hit nail on head re: my wife. She just keeps quoting that YouTube hitler video "You should have bought an M5"

Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 AM
What takes so long for them to figure out if it's covered or not?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
We have about 5-6 GTR trans dead...out may be 15 GTRs that have been imported...One guy change 2 trans already..50k bill ((( some of them never even used LC and have less the 3k miles...mainly drifting on snow or LC..causes that porblem...suddely front diffs lock up and trans gone...

Last edited by GT RUS; 01-22-2009 at 08:23 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This is why I prefer manual transmissions