997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

This is why I prefer manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 AM
JoshBsZ is infamous around these parts
IS it me or does anyone else just like to plain and simple shift their own gears still? I dont care how much faster the DSG/manumatic/SMG/Double clutch/ect ect trans' are on the track. Most the time my car is on the street. It's still fun at the end of the day to shift the car with three pedals on the floor IMO.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Raises Hand.

Paddles will never supplant the fun of a true manual. And people are forgetting that Manual's are getting more advanced too, the no lift shift feature will continue to grow where a manual will be able to be shifted without interupting torque, and you'll still be able to downshift faster than the computers. The manual is still king.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Paddles are yet another crutch if you can't drive a stick.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:10 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Very interesting. Does "no lift shift" mean you could shift without lifting gas pedal? Just depress clutch and shift?
Is this some new technology that Porsche is working on?

I enjoy my Turbo's 6 speed manual box, but have much interest in PDK as I find the manual's interrupted power flow to be a let down, especially the 1st to 2nd gear shift. If this new technology is successfully implemented, I think it would change a lot of people's plan!

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Paddles will never supplant the fun of a true manual. And people are forgetting that Manual's are getting more advanced too, the no lift shift feature will continue to grow where a manual will be able to be shifted without interupting torque, and you'll still be able to downshift faster than the computers. The manual is still king.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Very interesting. Does "no lift shift" mean you could shift without lifting gas pedal? Just depress clutch and shift?

I enjoy my Turbo's 6 speed manual box, but have much interest in PDK as I find the manual's interrupted power flow to be a let down, especially the 1st to 2nd gear shift. If this new technology is successfully implemented, I think it would change a lot of people's plan!

It's in the new Cadillac CTS-V, Cobalt SS and the ZR-1 too I think. But yes, no lifting from the gas, so just like powershifting. The computer prevents banging off the rev limiter for those who cant time it up well.

Porsche doesn't have it that I know of, but for the manuals to remain competitive, they will have to at some point.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
I find that Avatar offensive bbywu. Mods can we please have this bbywu character change his avatar to reflect a more professional and mature attitude in this forum.
VR over on Rennlist probably has a lot of Gold Club approved Avatars available...

Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Paddles are yet another crutch if you can't drive a stick.
Or how bout that new gizmo on the Nissan 370Z..."syncrhorev"...for those who can't figure out how to drive stick...

Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM
blackbeast99 is infamous around these parts
It's in the new Cadillac CTS-V, Cobalt SS and the ZR-1 too I think. But yes, no lifting from the gas, so just like powershifting. The computer prevents banging off the rev limiter for those who cant time it up well.

Porsche doesn't have it that I know of, but for the manuals to remain competitive, they will have to at some point.
I think you are correct. You can do it in any manual tranny car...how good is it for the car/tranny...that's another topic lol. Especially if you miss and get the rev limiter a bumch or bend shift forks. Good to see they are trying to put in counter measures to prevent damaging your car and yourself in that case.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
What takes so long for them to figure out if it's covered or not?
The send a guy out to look at car and download the blackbox data. Then they send the blackbox data to Nissan NA HQ in Tennessee. Then I assume they hunt around for a reason to deny warranty. I don't know.

Frustrating. Everyone has been very nice, but they won't commit to the repair until they review the data.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cannga

All you have to do is send your tranny down to Jerico Racing and have them put in straight cut racing gears and you'll never need the clutch again .

Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
Thanks. You hit nail on head re: my wife. She just keeps quoting that YouTube hitler video "You should have bought an M5"
They just know how to needle you at the worst moments. It must be something on that X chromosome.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
Im old school to the bitter end,i would never own a sports car without a manual transmission,i dont want computers to change gears for me,there is enough interference from computers in other aspects of the driving experience these days.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:46 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thanks eclou for the interesting thread -- the entertaining saga that is the GT-R. Regardless of whether this is covered by warranty or not, I think any reasonable owners should know to unload this thing immediately on ebay. What happens in a couple years when factory warranty expires?

What did TT Gasman say, something to the effect that you could make a (fugly) cheap car fast, or reliable, but not both?

Originally Posted by eclou
6 more dead GTR transmissions on non-launched cars. With a manual like in a TT, the clutch is your safety valve. On the GR6, the only outlet appears to be your wallet

Last edited by cannga; 01-22-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:09 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
No matter what, nothing beats shifting for yourself. I caught one of these GTR's on the freeway the other day. I tried to get him to run, but he wouldn't. Maybe he was scared that his tranny would blow.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
No matter what, nothing beats shifting for yourself. I caught one of these GTR's on the freeway the other day. I tried to get him to run, but he wouldn't. Maybe he was scared that his tranny would blow.
were you "deep staging him at the light?"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This is why I prefer manual transmissions