997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

This is why I prefer manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:52 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Funny thing is that I had just gotten my Sach's Stage 2 clutch installed with the LWFW and am not used to it yet. I probably would have stalled it anyways. He could of chalked up a easy tt kill.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
To be fair, I know many of us will be drooling over the PDK Turbo when it comes out late this year or next. I'd completely rock one of those on occasion for some spirited driving. Though I'd still need my fix of heel/toeing in the 996 TT.

But seriously, we'll all be appreciating the DCT's when Porsches comes out, but at least we can have confidence that they took the time to make it work right. But still, I wont be the first to buy one.

Oh and FWIW Chris, I honestly hope it works out, and they fix it. Wouldnt wish that on anybody.

But I have the red (blood) ink and paper ready if they don't...................

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-23-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Just got word that my tranny WILL be covered under warranty. I spoke with Bill Grossy (sp?) who said:

1. Computer shows two launch controls;
2. Computer shows ECU reprogramming and higher than normal boost levels (I told him I used AccessPort);
3. Computer shows multiple parameters showing very hard driving and fluid temps in upper end of the range.

He was very clear that these factors COULD have been used to deny warranty coverage IF they felt they were related to the failure. However, they felt that these things were NOT related and, therefore, they will pay for a new tranny.

Other than waiting 17 days for the answer, I am a (reasonably) happy camper.

Sorry HC, no blood oath for now.

-Chris

Old 01-29-2009, 12:11 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Good for you Chris... and cool that you/they were honest about it all too

Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
Just got word that my tranny WILL be covered under warranty. I spoke with Bill Grossy (sp?) who said:

2. Computer shows ECU reprogramming and higher than normal boost levels (I told him I used AccessPort);
3. Computer shows multiple parameters showing very hard driving and fluid temps in upper end of the range.

He was very clear that these factors COULD have been used to deny warranty coverage IF they felt they were related to the failure. However, they felt that these things were NOT related and, therefore, they will pay for a new tranny.

-Chris
Good news, Chris....must be a relief.

I know there are a lot of Porsche dealerships that would have voided a warranty claim with the things you listed...good thing you have a reasonable relationship with your Nissan service department.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Glad that it worked out for you Chris.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
CONGRATS, Chris'm !!!

Looks like the internet discussions have caused Nissan to re-consider their position on tranny warranties.

As I recall, same thing happened with BMW's waranty issues on the E46 M3's engine bearing failures.

First, BMW denied all claims, then after a few months of internet discussions, BMW took a more reasonable position.

Last edited by trumperZ06; 01-29-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 PM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts

-Chris
One and three could have been a good court case... probably winnable.

Item two, ECU reprograming could have been a deal killer. Many Mfg'rs are voiding warranty claims on the powertrain, if the ECU/PCM has been altered.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:24 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I read yesterday that the Veyron's tranny costs 120 grand (boy howdy, 20 grand don't sound so bad!). I wonder if we will see a significant increase in the price of the 911 turbo when it gets PDK. I imagine it will require a much hardier PDK tranny than the NA 911s do.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
My question is, if they felt none of those items caused the tranny problem then what did cause the problem? Normal driving? Just curious.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:06 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
congrats Chris!! I would ask Nissan for compensation regarding the lost time/usage. My 04 Touareg was in the shop often and they actually made a couple of payments on the note for me in compensation.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by eclou
congrats Chris!! I would ask Nissan for compensation regarding the lost time/usage. My 04 Touareg was in the shop often and they actually made a couple of payments on the note for me in compensation.
BMW did same for me once. To be honest, I'm not sure I want to push my luck at this point for a couple grand. I might hit them up for something once the repair is actually underway...

Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by tblountman
My question is, if they felt none of those items caused the tranny problem then what did cause the problem? Normal driving? Just curious.
Random bad part or design defect I guess. Not sure if they even know at this point. Tranny is going to Japan for post mortem.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
BMW did same for me once. To be honest, I'm not sure I want to push my luck at this point for a couple grand. I might hit them up for something once the repair is actually underway...
yeah, wait until the car is back in your driveway!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 AM
FYI, there was another guy on NAGTROC in my same boat (no LCs but with ECU tune and tranny failed due to solenoid). He just found out the Nissan is also fully covering his repair under warranty.

As I always hoped/assumed (but then began to doubt based on some dubious internet stories), Nissan seems to be taking a reasonable approach to warranty claims (i.e., no such thing as a "voided" warranty--- they do the homework to see if failure is related to the prohibited action (LCs, mods, abuse)). The senior folks I spoke with were car nuts and weren't put off by the fact that my car was modded. They were genuinely trying to figure out if my mods/hard use was a cause. If I had big power mods (I don't) and had stripped a gear or fired a clutch (I didn't), I am sure I would have been out of luck.

Seems to me that the remaining debate is just whether it is reasonable for Nissan (or anyone) to deny warranty coverage following repeated clutch-drop hard launches with a 100% stock car. I can see both sides of this and wish they would give some clear guidance, but for me I will just refrain from LCs (not that fun anyway).

As folks prob are already aware, Nissan is changing the software to tone down the violence of LCs (unclear if just US or worldwide), which will add a couple ticks to the 0-60 time of the car. I don't really care. BTW, BMW did the EXACT same thing with the E60 M5 (Euro cars got adjustable LC in the 4-5K RPM range, US fixed at like 1800 rpm, which is a joke).

-Chris

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This is why I prefer manual transmissions