997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

This is why I prefer manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
This is why I prefer manual transmissions

6 more dead GTR transmissions on non-launched cars. With a manual like in a TT, the clutch is your safety valve. On the GR6, the only outlet appears to be your wallet

Old 01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
6 more dead GTR transmissions on non-launched cars. With a manual like in a TT, the clutch is your safety valve. On the GR6, the only outlet appears to be your wallet
Exactly why I told chrisn that I didn't think double clutch was ready for prime time yet.

Porsche is probably watching this closely (with a grin and smile.) I hope they work on PDK before releasing it on a torque monster like the GT2 or TT.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM
khaosai is infamous around these parts
Hi,

I see some mention of warranty not covered out of Japan. I think i read somewhere else a figure of 20 000 USD for a new gearbox !!.

Scary stuff.

Rgds.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
It wouldn't be such a problem if Nissan just acknowledged it and made either software to remove the launch control, or to use some beefier parts in a retrofit campaign.
Porsche stepped up (granted, after some time...) to address the RMS issue, and I'm sure the number of 996 engines replaced and reimbursed warranty work dwarfs what could be Nissan's loss. Porsche made it right, Nissan is from what I've read, taken a pretty hard line stance.
I hope they fix the problem. Man up Nissan. It is a cool car. Just in it's present state, it is flawed.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
It is a big task for Nissan to recall every car and replace the tranny, it is way too costly. I do believe that Porsche did not put the PDK into the Turbo because it was not strong enough for the abuse. Instead they used PDK for below 400HP cars.
To a logical sense, Nissan did remove the launch controls, however it is still not enough, the article on NAGTROC is that he never launched the car. I think NEESAN better put a normal 6Sp into future GTRs, this DBL clutch thing for them isn't going to work, slowly every one's car will fall apart. What surprises me tho is that people still try and add power to the GTR.
These most likely are the people who rip their trannies. When I was shopping for my next car, it was either the GTR or the Turbo, am glad I made the correct decision, because out here, I have to go to another country for servicing.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
I don't know about six new cases-- as some of them are older cases where the warranty was denied due to being grey market (so has no warranty at all).

My car GT-R tranny died (went into limp mode) last week. I am waiting for confirmation that it is covered by warranty (my dealer says not to worry-- but I worry).

If warranty is denied, I will declare a holy war on Nissan and will take a blood oath with HeavyChevy to crush all GT-R fanbois.

I launched my car <5 times and all in September. Since then, I did no launches or VDC-off.

I think this current crop of probs is related to a defective solenoid and has nothing to do with the physical toughness of the tranny itself (or with use of LC). The care still drives fine, but it is in limp mode and only uses odd gears.

I'll keep you guys posted.

For reference, I bought (and still have) an early model E60 M5. The SMG tranny failed multiple times in first six months (three flat bed trips to dealer). They had some issues to work out. Since then, it has been bulletproof. If Nissan treats me like BMW did, I will chalk it up to early adopter risk. Since the GT-R didn't leave me stranded, I actually am a bit less upset than with the M5.

-Chris

Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Chris I hope they work it out for you. You will see a few more in the coming month. I was the one that told some people on here that there were over 30 reported cases of problems from solenoid to failure on the trannies from an honest inside guy. You are correct about the solenoid as well. Some people have no 1-3-5 and others 2-4-6. Kinda odd if you ask me. I just think they did not build in a high enough tolerance for the fluids in the tranny. I think they need to relook at that area heavily.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chrisn
I don't know about six new cases-- as some of them are older cases where the warranty was denied due to being grey market (so has no warranty at all).

My car GT-R tranny died (went into limp mode) last week. I am waiting for confirmation that it is covered by warranty (my dealer says not to worry-- but I worry).

If warranty is denied, I will declare a holy war on Nissan and will take a blood oath with HeavyChevy to crush all GT-R fanbois.

I launched my car <5 times and all in September. Since then, I did no launches or VDC-off.

I think this current crop of probs is related to a defective solenoid and has nothing to do with the physical toughness of the tranny itself (or with use of LC). The care still drives fine, but it is in limp mode and only uses odd gears.

For reference, I bought (and still have) an early model E60 M5. The SMG tranny failed multiple times in first six months (three flat bed trips to dealer). They had some issues to work out. Since then, it has been bulletproof. If Nissan treats me like BMW did, I will chalk it up to early adopter risk. Since the GT-R didn't leave me stranded, I actually am a bit less upset than with the M5.

-Chris
"blood oath with heavychevy" Hope your car is OK - but you're right about the M5. I used to spend a lot of time on M5board and it was a loooooong time before you stopped seeing a tranny issue on the 1st page of that site - every day.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn

-Chris
Chris, I don't mean to laugh at your expense. But you have to admit, I do see some irony in what's happened. I really do hope things work out in terms of coverage.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
How about the guy who tried to strengthen the gears and now his car wont work at all......

That's gotta be a PITB!!!!

To think they haven't even been out a year in the US yet, this could turn into an epidemic. But as long as Nissan is paying for them, which I've heard they have paid for some of the abused ones too, to keep it quiet, then it's on them, but 20k replacement transmissions are not cool.

However some of the tuners have been saying that they've spotted cracking in the trans housing and other problems. We'll see how many GT-R's make it to 40-50k miles with someone who will actually DRIVE the car, that will be a true measure, but it's not looking good right now.

Let's see if Porsche can do better with their PDK on the more powerful AWD cars.

But sure is going to cost Nissan a lot if they have to keep fixing the car and swapping transmissions. The cost of the GT-R will be 100k before you know it with the steady MSRP increases.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Oh yeah, and LOL @ the blood Oath!!!!!!

And LMAO at bbywu's avatar!!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Oh yeah, and LOL @ the blood Oath!!!!!!

And LMAO at bbywu's avatar!!!!!

Just keep'n it real, man...

Old 01-21-2009, 02:30 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I find that Avatar offensive bbywu. Mods can we please have this bbywu character change his avatar to reflect a more professional and mature attitude in this forum.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Sorry to here that Chris. I hope it works out for you.

On another note. If these GTR trannys fail on 480hp (estimate of course), how do some of the GTR tuners expect the tranny to hold on higher hp applications? SAD.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bbywu
Chris, I don't mean to laugh at your expense. But you have to admit, I do see some irony in what's happened. I really do hope things work out in terms of coverage.
Laugh away, no worries. I'll report the facts as objectively as I can-- just like before.

I just wonder if the solenoid failures are anything more that a random defect and not related to stress. I don't really understand the mechanics of it all, but I can see a clutch or gear breaking under hard launching and general failures due to overheating (which causes the oil to break down, which causes more heat/wear/problems). But why a solenoid shorting out?

The other guy on NAGTROC with exact issue claims no LCs and never got tranny temps above 190 degs. I can tell you that that is VERY mellow driving. I frequently get to 240 degs when driving hard. Warning light at ~260 and 280 is the "bad zone."

We'll see what happens. If they pay and are cool about it, I'll be cool.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This is why I prefer manual transmissions