997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Brake and Differential noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Brake and Differential noises

So I put about 1600 miles on my '08 Turbo so far, and besides from the clicking noise from the passenger seat I've also noticed some other noises.

First the brakes, they squeak slightly when I'm coming to a stop slowly, usually it happens the last few feet right before I come to a complete stop. Or if the car is rolling backwards slowly with me covering the brakes. I had Brembos before and they squeaked so I'm guessing this might be normal for performance brakes?

Second the differential noise. This usually happen when the temperature drops to under 40F and the car is cold or has been parked for a while. If I have the steering wheel in full lock or close to it and when the car starts moving I hear some kind of popping noise from the front of the car and I can feel the car pop/skip. It almost feel like the center diff. binding when it's cold on my old STi. But once the car has been running for a while and is warm, it doesn't do it anymore. Is this normal for the AWD system on the TT or should I get it checked out?

TIA!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
PCCBs?

Squeeky is normal.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Nope, standard red calipers.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I like the brake squeal . It's normal.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM
So nobody else has the noise from the diff/wheel?

It only does it when it's cold, and the car is moving slowly with the steering in full lock. Feels like the wheels are skipping.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:33 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nevert00fast
So nobody else has the noise from the diff/wheel?

It only does it when it's cold, and the car is moving slowly with the steering in full lock. Feels like the wheels are skipping.
I had the same exact thing and at first I thought it was my suspension, but then I realized that it was actually because like you described low temperatures around 40F or lower and I still had my michelin pilot sport cups on and those things are hard as rocks at that temp and in the morning.

I replaced the tires to snows for the winter and the noise is gone.

Im guessing its cause the summer/performance/cup tires have no grip at that temp and so the AWD system gets confused when they skip. Nothing I think you can do except wait for it to warm up or swap out the tires.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by raiyu
I had the same exact thing and at first I thought it was my suspension, but then I realized that it was actually because like you described low temperatures around 40F or lower and I still had my michelin pilot sport cups on and those things are hard as rocks at that temp and in the morning.

I replaced the tires to snows for the winter and the noise is gone.

Im guessing its cause the summer/performance/cup tires have no grip at that temp and so the AWD system gets confused when they skip. Nothing I think you can do except wait for it to warm up or swap out the tires.
It almost sounds like when the inner wheel is turning at different speed than the outer wheel on a car with LSD. Does the turbo have a center or front LSD? I don't have the rear-locking diff. option.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:02 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
the reds squeal, at least after a few days from cleaning when the dust builds up. Ive found after a wash they dont for a few days then they do so at slower speeds when coming to a light stop...its normal.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
the Red breaks squeals u're right ... its normal 100%

Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
Ask Craig at www.Rennstore.com about the brakes, he'll know.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Dizmm is infamous around these parts
Most high temp "performance" brake pads will squeak. 100% normal.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
Chamfer the edges & the noise disappears.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Bump. I heard a slight thump noise in the rear differential while doing a tight turn (30F) this morning. I think this is normal but just wanted to check-in.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Redmist is infamous around these partsRedmist is infamous around these parts
Noises

So I put about 1600 miles on my '08 Turbo so far, and besides from the clicking noise from the passenger seat I've also noticed some other noises.

First the brakes, they squeak slightly when I'm coming to a stop slowly, usually it happens the last few feet right before I come to a complete stop. Or if the car is rolling backwards slowly with me covering the brakes. I had Brembos before and they squeaked so I'm guessing this might be normal for performance brakes?

Second the differential noise. This usually happen when the temperature drops to under 40F and the car is cold or has been parked for a while. If I have the steering wheel in full lock or close to it and when the car starts moving I hear some kind of popping noise from the front of the car and I can feel the car pop/skip. It almost feel like the center diff. binding when it's cold on my old STi. But once the car has been running for a while and is warm, it doesn't do it anymore. Is this normal for the AWD system on the TT or should I get it checked out?

TIA!
I have those noises, except for the brakes, in my '08. I don't think the popping is from the center diff. I have an E46 M3 that has a similar feel and noise in cold weather, although it's more pronounced in the Turbo. I'm thinking it's the summer tires.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !

TIA!
Firstly your passenger seat rattle noise is the seat belt stalk. I bet it wont do it when someone sits in the seat . I had that issue as well and had that replaced under warranty.

The brake squeal appears to be an inherant issue for 997tt's . Dont ask me why but my 997S never did it .
My 997tt does exactly as you say (when coming to a standstill) a squeal from time to time on the LHR rear . Porsche replaced my rear pads just last friday. So far the squeal still comes intermitently but not as loud as it was before so maybe when these new pads bed in a bit more it may go away once and for all (hopefully). They also did a deglase on the discs. I notice the squeal manifests when the ambient temp goes over 27 Cels whereas below that they never squeal .
Its 40 deg C here in Sydney today so my guess is they will play up on they way home....shortly.

Secondly your popping binding noise in the front end is just the tires (PS2) nothing more. My previous C2S did the same thing as well every morning. My 997tt does it every single morning after the car has been standing overnight and moresoif ive been a way for a week. My garage has a billiard table finish concrete floor so it makes the noise really obvious. I put it down to the super low profile tires getting a flat spot from standing on the one spot too long. Once you get going tho the tire corrects itself. back to nice and round . For eg if you are turning right out of your parking space it will make the noise on the left front wheel and..so on. correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake and Differential noises