997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning for upgraded VTG turbos...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by yalmutawa
that's a great question i was thinking about it .... When changing the vtg'z to a modded ones do we need to re flash the ecu ??
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Originally Posted by GT RUS
yes !!!
But why? Isn't an ECU-tune just a set of programming language? If so, a re-flash would make a difference if, and only if, the particular company has two separate programs, say, one for stock VTG, one for large VTG. As far as I could tell, this is not the case for GIAC or EVOM, no?

(I am new to this, just trying to learn here.)

Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by cannga
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by yalmutawa
that's a great question i was thinking about it .... When changing the vtg'z to a modded ones do we need to re flash the ecu ??

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

But why? Isn't an ECU-tune just a set of programming language? If so, a re-flash would make a difference if, and only if, the particular company has two separate programs, say, one for stock VTG, one for large VTG. As far as I could tell, this is not the case for GIAC or EVOM, no?

(I am new to this, just trying to learn here.)
I sure there are more quilified people on the board that can explain this better then ME but ECU at least adjusts you AFRs, boost, ignitions curves and so on in order to get best benefits from tuning parts..

Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I understand, ECU mod adjusts timing map, boost map, etc. But... the question here is, assuming you already have an ECU flash, whether you need to repeat a flash once you change the VTG.

Unless the new program is somehow different from the old one, and/or is specifically designed for the new mod (don't know about Switzer, but seems to me for GIAC and EVOM, it is not), I would think the answer is no, right?

I sure there are more quilified people on the board that can explain this better then ME but ECU at least adjusts you AFRs, boost, ignitions curves and so on in order to get best benefits from tuning parts..

Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
GIAC Aand Evoms as far as now also offer diff ECU for diff mods...so i you move to another mods they make diff ecu for you...

Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM
GIAC Aand Evoms as far as now also offer diff ECU for diff mods...so i you move to another mods they make diff ecu for you...
Good point. Thanks. I just went to GIAC and see what is listed, and indeed there appear to be 2 programs:
2008 - 2007 997TT ® w/ AWE Tuning 700S Turbo Kit
2008 - 2007 997 ® TT

But notice that it says specifically AWE kit, and nothing else. So in a way, aren't we are back to the original point again? That is: Unless the new flash is specific to the new mod, there is no point to repeat the flash? Any expert could comment on this?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
I understand, ECU mod adjusts timing map, boost map, etc. But... the question here is, assuming you already have an ECU flash, whether you need to repeat a flash once you change the VTG.

Unless the new program is somehow different from the old one, and/or is specifically designed for the new mod (don't know about Switzer, but seems to me for GIAC and EVOM, it is not), I would think the answer is no, right?
I had to have it reflashed when I did the upgrade. I am getting it reflashed again going with the Tubi Race . If I decide that the Race is too loud I would have to reflash again if I switch back.

Why? I don't know.
But i do know that these are the prescribed steps.

I never studied this level of auto technology but I have always felt that if I know an answer I will say it . If I don't I will find someone who does .

Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
BTW Tym has got those NEW VTG which no one else has best of the best...new technologies, better cooling and more boost then anyone ...we will test them here soon...that car should be even faster then my old one...

Most of the other tuners just use mod BW wheels...<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Why? I don't know.
But i do know that these are the prescribed steps.

I never studied this level of auto technology but I have always felt that if I know an answer I will say it . If I don't I will find someone who does .<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
i believe the gas will be lean or rich some thats why they have to retune it again to avoid any problems in the engine

Old 08-02-2011, 10:22 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Just stumbled on this thread, don't mean to waken a dead horse, but I may be in the position to upgrade my turbos (may have a problem with my old ones - so looking at options).
I have a Softronic tune and actually communicated with them this morning and and according to him, upgrading the turbos will not require a new ECU tune. Mind you the tune has been adjusted for 93 octane and for a full exhaust and 200 Cell cats - so maybe those components are the real deciding factors when it comes to different tunes.

Would be great to have the tuners chime in.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Just stumbled on this thread, don't mean to waken a dead horse, but I may be in the position to upgrade my turbos (may have a problem with my old ones - so looking at options).
I have a Softronic tune and actually communicated with them this morning and and according to him, upgrading the turbos will not require a new ECU tune. Mind you the tune has been adjusted for 93 octane and for a full exhaust and 200 Cell cats - so maybe those components are the real deciding factors when it comes to different tunes.

Are you planning on doing turbos and IC as well? If so, I'm pretty sure a tune would be necessary to take full advantage of the hardware upgrades!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:51 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
You should be good to go. If you run race fuel then get the race fuel tune. You can always datalog and do some fine tuning with your tuner.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Agree with TTdude...
Just thinking turbo's initially, VTG's and probably the 65mm. Do not want to sacrifice low end torque for top end HP.

And yes have it from Softronic that the tune does not need to be modified...

Q: as it’s still unclear to me. If I change to larger aftermarket turbo’s (say 65mm) would anything need to be done to the softronic tune? Would it need to be updated to make the most of the new turbo’s or would this just be a simple hardware swap. If the tune needs to be updated, would there be costs involved or is that a part of original cost?
A: No you would not require an updated file.

May hold off on the IC's for now - but would definitely be on the agenda. Just finished coils and plugs last month and clutch this month... Unfortunately my pockets aren't that deep :P

Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

When I put on the bigger vtgs Proto told me to continue using the upgraded Proto tune I had on the car. It runs beautifully, even better with the upgraded vtgs than the stock vtgs. I've datalogged and will fine tune the Proto tune.

I would strongly suggest upgraded i/cs with the upgraded vtgs - I have the 997.2/GT2RS i/cs and they don't require deep pockets.

If you are stuck without any turbos and need to temporarily use a set of stock vtgs I have a pair lying around. Although it probably doesn't make sense b/c then the labour would hurt to change them out twice. Consider your options carefully! PM me if you like.