997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What is the best Turbo Upgrade for a 997TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Tiger is infamous around these parts
exhaust and ecu all the way.

the next question is what type of exhaust and what type of ECU.
Good luck answering that. its always a matter of preference

Old 01-31-2009, 02:31 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi KA and sorry a bit OT,

No plan to change my PSS10 setup, but would love to hear your impression of the spring rate change. AFAIK, you are first to do this on these forums w/ the Bilstein and I am very curious!

As currently stands (my setup: PSS10, GMG sways and Tarett drop links, front camber -1.2, front toe-out -0.2), my car feels like it's in the upper range of stiffness for me already.

Does your spring rate change affect the ride to a significant degree? How did you decide on 457/686?
I have no experience (and would like to learn from yours). TIA
Can,
I am always reading your posts on here, you do provide a very good detailed report on everything you do... i just wanted to point this out.

as far as the PSS10's, they are set up for all wide bodies with the same dampeners and springs however, the C4S and the TT are not at the same weight and the weight distribution front to back is also very different.
The TT stats are as follows: (numbers off a scale)

Front: 1445 LBS
Rear: 2337 LBS
Total: 3781 LBS (yes with my fat *** in it)
that's at 38.1/61.9 weight ratio... we are adding 400+ LBS over a C4S using the same suspension setup.
I do drive my car a bit too aggressively and i do feel that if i were to have the back end a bit stiffer, i will have much better control over the car and i will be able to direct it beter as well.
As far as the 457/686 that's the closest to the JIC Cross set up that my buddy Dan @ Vivid Racing has his car set at (997TT) and those springs are offered by H&R, same lengh and same diameter as stock PSS10's but different spring rate of course.
Before i decided to go with this set up i did play with the sway bars as well, i took the rears to the stiffest and the front to medium, i also am running GMG. the car handles better but still missing something, you can feel how the rear end squats quite a bit on some turns and on hard acceleration.
I am not saying that i am an expert, but i know my car very well and I do feel that it is worth the try to go with stiffer springs.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:13 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KA 997TT
That's the plan. I ordered stiffer springs so i can better tune the suspension, it was a bit loose on some turns. what also hurts is the turbo lag once you hit the straitaways, i am trying to reduce that a bit so i can keep a momentum without over doing it.
What kind of alignment specs are you running?

Old 01-31-2009, 03:15 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Hi KA and sorry a bit OT,

No plan to change my PSS10 setup, but would love to hear your impression of the spring rate change. AFAIK, you are first to do this on these forums w/ the Bilstein and I am very curious!

As currently stands (my setup: PSS10, GMG sways and Tarett drop links, front camber -1.2, front toe-out -0.2), my car feels like it's in the upper range of stiffness for me already.

Does your spring rate change affect the ride to a significant degree? How did you decide on 457/686?
I have no experience (and would like to learn from yours). TIA
Can,

How do you like your cars handling characteristics after your new camber and toe settings?

Old 01-31-2009, 03:26 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
What kind of alignment specs are you running?
I will have to get a print out and repost.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Along with stiffer springs and a little bit more aggressive camber both front and back with some toe adjustments should really settle the rear of the car down. I recently did that and the rear is really planted now. My current specs are:

Camber -1.9 front and -2.1 rear
Toe 1 out front and 4.5 in for the rear.

Rear sways at stiff and front sways set at neutral.

Just food for thought when you go to do the alignment setup after installing your new springs.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Along with stiffer springs and a little bit more aggressive camber both front and back with some toe adjustments should really settle the rear of the car down. I recently did that and the rear is really planted now. My current specs are:

Camber -1.9 front and -2.1 rear
Toe 1 out front and 4.5 in for the rear.

Rear sways at stiff and front sways set at neutral.

Just food for thought when you go to do the alignment setup after installing your new springs.

Thanks!
I knew someone else must have tuned their suspension on here and felt better with stiffer springs.
I will run those specs by the Tech, i do all my work at the local dealership, i may be going somewhere else for the next mods.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks!
I knew someone else must have tuned their suspension on here and felt better with stiffer springs.
I will run those specs by the Tech, i do all my work at the local dealership, i may be going somewhere else for the next mods.
Looking into another shop with some track or racing experience might help your cause when it comes to suspensions. Suspensions can become a pandora's box sometimes. There are a lot of members here that know their stuff and can give you great input.

Replacing the rear toe links with parts from TRG, TPC, Tarrett, or GMG really helps with the rear end.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[QUOTE][
I did installed the PSS10 Damptronics, they work well but the spring rate is not very well tuned with the weight of the vehicle, i had the same setup on my 08 997 C4S, it worked great, I had Vivid Racing ordering me stiffer front and rear springs (457/686).
I am not sure which exhaust to go with yet, there are many options, weight savers, more power, more sound...

I truely want to get to 680 HP and still keep the integrety of the vehicle without affecting its longetivity either. [//QUOTE]

I have the Techart springs but I'm swapping to Pss10 and Gt2 sway bar . I'll give my comparison when the car is done but thus far yoir post is the first which raises these points .

Old 01-31-2009, 06:15 PM
[quote=yrralis1;2240209]
[
I did installed the PSS10 Damptronics, they work well but the spring rate is not very well tuned with the weight of the vehicle, i had the same setup on my 08 997 C4S, it worked great, I had Vivid Racing ordering me stiffer front and rear springs (457/686).
I am not sure which exhaust to go with yet, there are many options, weight savers, more power, more sound...

I truely want to get to 680 HP and still keep the integrety of the vehicle without affecting its longetivity either. [//quote]

I have the Techart springs but I'm swapping to Pss10 and Gt2 sway bar . I'll give my comparison when the car is done but thus far yoir post is the first which raises these points .
Glad to be the first.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Mike,

BTW, your PM to me about the toe-out setting in your car was what gave me the added incentive to do the same in mine. I love the experiment!

Don't want to hi jack KA's thread -- just posted my impression here https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d-turbo-6.html

Can,

How do you like your cars handling characteristics after your new camber and toe settings?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:43 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
KA,
Thanks for the report.
You might want to consider solid drop links also, from TRG or Tarett. The solid connection enhances the effect of the sway bar, and of any change you make.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 PM
KA,
Thanks for the report.
You might want to consider solid drop links also, from TRG or Tarett. The solid connection enhances the effect of the sway bar, and of any change you make.
I would consider this, i was told that it could cause a very harsh ride... i am not sure what to some is a "harsh ride" but I have had nothing but positive feed back on this option, it will be on the top of my list.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 PM
TurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura about
I'd say suspension, flash, and exhaust would give you the best bang for your buck.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
A very common mod among many cars and many forums, including the GT3 and the cup car guys, so you won't be blazing a trail here: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/s...4208_4213.html

It does make the ride harsher, but too harsh for me only when I use the stiffest setting. It makes the car feel less "rubbery," for lack of a better description, and that's why I stay with it. If you see the solid drop link's construction versus the stock one, you might not go back. Hope this helps.

I would consider this, i was told that it could cause a very harsh ride... i am not sure what to some is a "harsh ride" but I have had nothing but positive feed back on this option, it will be on the top of my list.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the best Turbo Upgrade for a 997TT?