997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How to launch the manual 997 TT ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:46 PM
turbo498 is infamous around these parts
How to launch the manual 997 TT ?

Hi guys..i had delivery of my 09 997 TT in under a month back. Break-in done and now its time to unleash the beast ! I actually had a few runs and the car is running good. I faced a problem with launching the car from a standstill. It seems there is a special technique to be applied in order to achieve an under 4 sec number to 100 km/h. It would be greatly appreciated if the AWD TT experts chime in and provide me with the valuable technique for me to apply !

Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
well am no expert but I usually do this to get it off the line quickly...
- Turn off traction control
- Turn on Sport mode
- Press down the clutch
- Put it in 1st gear
- Rev to 4k revs (try a few different revs)
- Release the clutch
- Hang on for dear life!
Hope that helps and be safe!

Last edited by SRatha; 02-01-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SRatha
well am no expert but I usually do this to get it off the line quickly...
- Turn off traction control
- Turn on Sport mode
- Press down the clutch
- Put it in 1st gear
- Rev to 4k revs (try a few different revs)
- Release the clutch
- Hang on for dear life!
Hope that helps and be safe!
And don't forget, everytime you do that, just put a few bucks in a jar for a new clutch.

Just kidding...dropping the clutch = rough on transmission. Slipping clutch = rough on clutch. Clutch is cheaper than tranny...I'd blip the throttle at 3-4 to build a little boost...then slip the clutch as the rev's climb on your last blip.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
There are a few guys out there that could also re-program your ECU so you can two step launch a manual 997 TT. You may want to look into that.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:25 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bbywu
There are a few guys out there that could also re-program your ECU so you can two step launch a manual 997 TT. You may want to look into that.
but whats the fun in that?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:36 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Also add a few bucks for the chiropractor jar, you'll need it to realign your neck and spine after a few launches.

Lmk I can recommend some good osteopaths

Old 02-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by SRatha
but whats the fun in that?

Well, I suck at the drag strip. The 997TT's clutch activation is difficult for me to master...

Old 02-01-2009, 03:46 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
And don't forget, everytime you do that, just put a few bucks in a jar for a new clutch.

Just kidding...dropping the clutch = rough on transmission. Slipping clutch = rough on clutch. Clutch is cheaper than tranny...I'd blip the throttle at 3-4 to build a little boost...then slip the clutch as the rev's climb on your last blip.
Transmission under warranty - clutch is not

Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Try and get a shredded tranny or a broken axle covered under warranty and see what they say...

And BTW, go Cardinals

Old 02-01-2009, 05:20 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
I always find these launch threads kind of absurd. They should be titled "Hey, what's the fastest way to break my new car?".

Old 02-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Banned
stefwilli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brownan
I always find these launch threads kind of absurd. They should be titled "Hey, what's the fastest way to break my new car?".
Well I feather up to about 3.5 to 4k RPMs and let off the clutch as I floor it. This works for me every time, just be prepared for a quick shift to 2nd as it comes up fast. This is also a good way to go into a nice drift, 180, or 360 .

I will have a video to psot of this lauch up later tonight stay tuned.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Mrledzeppelin is infamous around these partsMrledzeppelin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Wrong. You'd need some important friends to get that covered.

Same thing went down when the 993 TT came out. Most common complaint was a whine in 1st on decel. Once Germany figured out it was caused by people launching the cars and bending the teeth on the first gear ratio, they stopped covering it.

Haven't seen a 997 turbo with that problem yet, but have seen it on GT3s. It's a sports car, please.

When PDK is offered on the Turbo that will make for some damn good stuff.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mrledzeppelin
Wrong. You'd need some important friends to get that covered.

Same thing went down when the 993 TT came out. Most common complaint was a whine in 1st on decel. Once Germany figured out it was caused by people launching the cars and bending the teeth on the first gear ratio, they stopped covering it.

Haven't seen a 997 turbo with that problem yet, but have seen it on GT3s. It's a sports car, please.

When PDK is offered on the Turbo that will make for some damn good stuff.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone with 5 posts in two days and -4 rep bars...

Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by turbo498
Hi guys..i had delivery of my 09 997 TT in under a month back. Break-in done and now its time to unleash the beast ! I actually had a few runs and the car is running good. I faced a problem with launching the car from a standstill. It seems there is a special technique to be applied in order to achieve an under 4 sec number to 100 km/h. It would be greatly appreciated if the AWD TT experts chime in and provide me with the valuable technique for me to apply !
Can't imagine anyone having a problem on the launch with 4-wheels pulling. The real problem is to remember that 2nd gear shift at 6600-6700 rpm which happens in an instant. Get that right and you can easily make that 60 in under 4 sec.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
I don't think I've ever seen anyone with 5 posts in two days and -4 rep bars...
Sorry for the dumb question, but what are rep bars?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to launch the manual 997 TT ?