997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

help me pick rims!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Carbuff59 is infamous around these partsCarbuff59 is infamous around these partsCarbuff59 is infamous around these partsCarbuff59 is infamous around these partsCarbuff59 is infamous around these parts
Alan, thanks for the reply, but you didn't answer my question.
I'm no expert but the two 19x8.5 wheels I uploaded look fairly similar.
They both fit the same car, they are both certified for the same car.
One is cast, it weighs 21.6 lbs. One is forged, it weighs EXACTLY the same.
The cast OZ wheels are $1700. The forged HRE wheels are $5000.
Two famous brands with major cred on this forum.

It would seem to me that HRE's monoblock wheels aren't any better than a good cast wheel, unless I'm missing something. Hence my question.
It would appear that the other forged guys, Champion, Neez, and AMT have more on the ball when it comes to forged wheels, since all of theirs are lighter.

Originally Posted by Alan Baylis
Forged wheels can be lighter, however wheels that are designed with a flat face, or no outer rim will have a little added weight. This is because the back pad needs to be thicker to put the wheel in the proper position. The HRE Competition Series wheels are about 1.5 to 3 pounds lighter than their Monoblok wheels. In comparison to HRE Monoblok wheels the Porsche Forged 997 Turbo wheels weigh 2 pounds per wheel more on the front and almost 5 pounds per wheel more on the rear.

Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Carbuff59
Alan, thanks for the reply, but you didn't answer my question.
I'm no expert but the two 19x8.5 wheels I uploaded look fairly similar.
They both fit the same car, they are both certified for the same car.
One is cast, it weighs 21.6 lbs. One is forged, it weighs EXACTLY the same.
The cast OZ wheels are $1700. The forged HRE wheels are $5000.
Two famous brands with major cred on this forum.

It would seem to me that HRE's monoblock wheels aren't any better than a good cast wheel, unless I'm missing something. Hence my question.
It would appear that the other forged guys, Champion, Neez, and AMT have more on the ball when it comes to forged wheels, since all of theirs are lighter.
At what point do the moderators realize that a particular sponsor on 6Speed keeps creating extra logins to trash talk the rest of us? Four posts and 2 of them talk trash about HRE? This is the 3rd fake login I've seen associated with you guys. Did you forget your passwords for the other two? Your marketing campaign that consists of doing nothing but trash talk HRE is disgraceful... at least use your company login if you're going to do it and let's have it out in the open.

I just hope the rest of you 6Speeders realize what is going on before they get me banned.

For the record, OZ does make a great wheel. I am impressed with what they've accomplished using a casting and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I have been informed by Mike at Forgedwheeler that Carbuff59 is his brother Mark, and according to Mike is not associated with Forgedwheeler even though they have the same ip address....this thread is closed

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-16-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: update