997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Which wing looks the best?
Stock Turbo Wing
35.62%
GT3 Wing
15.07%
GT2 Wing
38.36%
Other
10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

997TT with GT3 Wing??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Pistol there is not 1 aftermarket performance company that has a wind tunnel. We are talking about 2 different things, street cars that do DE events to learn and FULL race cars. You have taken this topic way off topic.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing
Pistol there is not 1 aftermarket performance company that has a wind tunnel. We are talking about 2 different things, street cars that do DE events to learn and FULL race cars. You have taken this topic way off topic.
I have been told that all TechArt bodykits are wind tunnel tested. Obviously you have to have the whole kit though for it to work as it was designed to.

I also don't think this is off topic as the question was should a GT3 wing be put onto a Turbo. From a safety point of view that answer is no.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I think your wrong, you think I am wrong. Lets leave it at that.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
Yes but you shouldnt say that just because 80% or 90% of the cars here are street cars their performance of the wings and the uneduated decisions made about the wings should be ignored and form over function should be the priority.

when you buy a performance car, you buy the car for the performance, not for the looks --- well atleast i do.

just putting something that "looks good" on a performance car is silly and compromises the integrity of the car and its reason based aesthetics.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor
Pistol - here is my 997TT, 996TT, and 996C2. Just a handful of cars I have built for myself. I know what I am doing for myself and my customers appreciate it. I am not the worlds best, but this is what I do. I appreciate your input and comments. I track my cars, street drive my cars, and enjoy them.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
LOL, I cant believe the haters on here

For everyone not feeling the look you are totally entitled to your own subjective opinion, I like it, and that's who I'm aiming to please.

As for the discussion of down force well lets see the only data we had posted by anyone was related to a Lotus. Come on guys, if you are seriously going to discuss down force then post the data for the stock 997TT, or the stock GT3RS then compare them.

Most importantly, have any of you considered the fact that all of the Porsche cars that feature radical rear aero also have no FRONT drive train? Sure the GT3RS can create more front aero downforce (though I doubt it's much), but I have an entire drive axle in the front.

I went with a replica GT3RS decklid because I love the GT3RS and I think it's rear decklid is the most beautiful one Porsche has designed and I know they wind tunnel tested their cars so I feel comfortable putting it on my car.

Another very important factor is that the cars for which aero makes a huge difference are also EXTREMELY LIGHT (think lotus, F1, race cars (all of which are no where near 3,400lbs)). The 997TT is a heffer by comparison, so even if the aero will be slightly unbalanced it will be harder to notice on a car that's this heavy.

Now lets just leave it at this, if you dont like the look dont like it.

If you want to talk downforce dont throw around opinions, put some data behind them. I'll gladly eat my hat as one of my professors says if the data shows I'm wrong

Everything I said is just my "opinion" still it makes more sense to me than half of the stuff that people have been throwing around here.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor
For all the crap Raiyu and I went through on a sales level for this product, I am just PUMPED that he has it on the car and he is happy!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
For all the crap Raiyu and I went through on a sales level for this product, I am just PUMPED that he has it on the car and he is happy!
some of us are not happy yet Dan... JK!!!!!
I am glad i got to buying my stuff from you, you do put up with my crap!!

By the way, my daughter and wife are fine, forgot to answer you on that earlier.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Lol, touche

Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
For the record, I think the wing on Raiyu's car looks BAD A$$!

Dan,

I never got a contact from Vorsteiner on the their wing setup.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
the owner of this GT3RS wing states that he tracks his car.

would you mix and match suspension components - as in shocks and springs from one company up front, and shocks and springs from another company in the rear.

if not, why would you mix and match aerodynamic components?

you do realize replicas are replicas...not original creations. there are tiny differences that can overall affect the performance of the part.

when i removed my OEM aerokit taco wing from my 01 C4, my tuning shop (powertech) and my dealer's master tech made a huge fuss out of it. the aerodynamics of the car were compromised.

porsche builds each component to work w/their own selected component - GT3 wing w/GT3 nose. One does not work without the other.

now if this were a show car, which it seems that it isnt, no problem. but if it is a car that is tracked, i would worry about my safety.

Last edited by Pistol; 02-10-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Pistol
now if this were a show car, which it seems that it isnt, no problem. but if it is a car that is tracked, i would worry about my safety.
I seriously doubt that mixing aero components will result in a safety issue on a track or otherwise.

Just look at the cars at the Texas Mile. Do you think every aerokit on those cars has been wind tunnel tested?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM
i doubt at the level of most HPDE'ers that it wont

i just would not prefer my car to have mixed aerodynamic components

either way, different strokes for different folks. i trust porsches engineering over aesthetic pleasure.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Very true. Eclou's red 997tt ran at the Texas Mile and his car doesn't have a complete aero kit either. He has a Techart front spoiler and a Techart Rear diffuser with stock rear wing.

To your point Pistol, wouldn't this have compromised his aerodynamics? He is no longer using stock Porsche parts and mixing in Techart pieces that Techart had wind tunnel tested as a whole package for their type 1 kit.

I currently have Techart front spoiler, rear diffuser, side skirts ,and still maintin the factory wing. If your theory is true, then my areodynamics should be out of whack too because I am missing the Techart rear wing.

Even Techart will sell you a type 2 wing along with a type 1 bodykit. That's a mix match too isn't it? They weren't wind tunnel tested together.

I am no expert, but I don't think it's that big of an issue. I have had my car up to high speeds and the car felt rock solid to me.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
what happened here?

ok, are we a little off here? maybe we can move on?
I wanted some information about a wing set up, not a **** match. Everyone is entitled to their opnion but why are we trying to force our opinions on others and fight to death about who's more right?
in all honesty, i just don't like the look of the TT wing, I have had my car up to 168 MPH on stock suspension with the stock wing, it felt more than fine...

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts.

Kino

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT with GT3 Wing??