997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

550 HP upgrade from P dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by noah677
I really don't feel like going through this crap again. You stick with your dealer and I'll stick with mine---if you have to be right, then OK you are right, know more than anyone else and know the inner workings of Porsche dealerships---baby your the greatest
If you don't have anything solid, you fall back on sarcasm. If you don't like my commentary, give me something solid.

I can tell you proof positive that PCNA can void a warranty. On my 996TT, a flashed ECU voided a warranty repair on my engine. Period. PCNA came in to meet with me. Ran the DME codes, showed me the printout, and said that my rev limiter change was responsible for the damage. No amount of dealer "hiding" would change PCNA's decision.

You are arguing that a dealer will protect you if they do the flash? Well...my dealer DID do the flash.

Last edited by bbywu; 02-11-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Geez,

Even Pravda had less censorship than this place.
You got that right. Every chat room I go to these days censors some of the most ridiculous stuff. Free speech is dead! Who knew that the constitution could be ignored because it's somebody's policy.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Silentrun is infamous around these parts
Mr. Gladwell at Boardwalk is excellent...I just got my 997tt 09 and put the europipe on with BMC filters and it's great. I will do the ECU upgrade next. Boardwalk and John have done all my mods on three p-cars and woudln't have it anyother way. IMHO

Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
If you don't have anything solid, you fall back on sarcasm. If you don't like my commentary, give me something solid.

I can tell you proof positive that PCNA can void a warranty. On my 996TT, a flashed ECU voided a warranty repair on my engine. Period. PCNA came in to meet with me. Ran the DME codes, showed me the printout, and said that my rev limiter change was responsible for the damage. No amount of dealer "hiding" would change PCNA's decision.

You are arguing that a dealer will protect you if they do the flash? Well...my dealer DID do the flash.
What don't you understand about capitulate?. I capitulate (meaning I am embarrassed for you). I have plenty of stories just as anecdotal as yours, BUT I capitulate. You cannot know what each and every porsche dealer does any more than I can. So, again, without sarcasm, I am done and will never engage is this kind of topic again.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Skippy is infamous around these parts
just got my Porsche and was told by Dealer that any Chip Tuning etc would void Warranty, is it up to the Dealers ? How can one Dealer offer this and not another ?

Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Skippy
just got my Porsche and was told by Dealer that any Chip Tuning etc would void Warranty, is it up to the Dealers ? How can one Dealer offer this and not another ?
Why don't you ask Noah677? He has all the answers!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:15 PM
It really is up to the individual dealer...let the dealer do the upgrade and your warranty will probably be fine...

Old 02-13-2009, 06:10 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
You got that right. Every chat room I go to these days censors some of the most ridiculous stuff. Free speech is dead! Who knew that the constitution could be ignored because it's somebody's policy.
Free speech doesn't apply to a private membership forum. You're the one who came on here and accepted the terms when you joined.

Back to the point, sure it seems a little expensive when you break it down, but if the dealer is going to continue to honor the warranty no questions asked (they shouldn't since they did the work) it sounds like a great deal to me.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The only ecu upgrade that is covered by pcna is Ruf.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:28 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The only ecu upgrade that is covered by pcna is Ruf.
Can you please tell us what's the basis of your statement?

Getting back to the original topic, just buy stock and investigate mods on your own. You'll have more enjoyment and get the product(s) you actually want. You'll feel good about the price you pay too. Regarding the current package in hand, you can easily do better than that pricewise if you're willing to be open about different products. If you do your homework and start making calls to vendors you probably encounter special deals that are not always advertised.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by TTdude
Can you please tell us what's the basis of your statement?

Getting back to the original topic, just buy stock and investigate mods on your own. You'll have more enjoyment and get the product(s) you actually want. You'll feel good about the price you pay too. Regarding the current package in hand, you can easily do better than that pricewise if you're willing to be open about different products. If you do your homework and start making calls to vendors you probably encounter special deals that are not always advertised.

+1 what he said.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The Ruf warranty covers you for at least a yr, and it's recognized by pcna. All Ruf cars can be serviced at porsche dealers without issue, that's a major plus f you ask me. Just give RAC a call ask for Hans or John, to my knowledge no Ruf conversion has ever had a negative warranty situation with pcna.
If they were closer, my car would be down there tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The Ruf warranty covers you for at least a yr, and it's recognized by pcna. All Ruf cars can be serviced at porsche dealers without issue, that's a major plus f you ask me. Just give RAC a call ask for Hans or John, to my knowledge no Ruf conversion has ever had a negative warranty situation with pcna.
If they were closer, my car would be down there tomorrow.

Here was Wayne Corley's response to my email a while back:

Hello Wayne.

Thank you for your quick reply.

There were a few folks discussing Ruf conversions on 6speedonline and
rennlist. Someone had mentioned that warranty service would be
honored at local dealerships. Is this true?

Not exactly. On the rare occasion when there is a warranty type issue on a
RUF conversion, we usually ask the client to take the car to a local Porsche
dealer so that they can try to diagnose the issue. If it is something
relatively minor, we will pay the local dealer to fix it.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Free speech doesn't apply to a private membership forum. You're the one who came on here and accepted the terms when you joined.

Back to the point, sure it seems a little expensive when you break it down, but if the dealer is going to continue to honor the warranty no questions asked (they shouldn't since they did the work) it sounds like a great deal to me.
I certainly agree that 6speed has a "right" to and CAN control what is posted here. I have no issue with that, and I am definitely not one of those pro-ACLU loonies. It is simply a matter of whether 6speed SHOULD edit every post that even hints at challenging a vendor. I spend alot less time on here because of this phenomenon, and thus spend alot less time being exposed to the sponsors' products.

As to whether aftermarket mods. void warranties, come on guys, even cars NOT modded can have trouble getting warranty coverage from PCNA/PAG, let alone tuned vehicles. For those of us fortunate to have excellent rapport with our dealers who understand that it is very profitable to them (for the service charges and future car purchases from them) to honor warranties on modded cars and even to perform the mods for us, we can enjoy the way these cars should have come from the factory.

However, when a dealer says they will "warranty" aftermarket products and work, what they mean is that if an OEM part of a car needs replacing or servicing and it is minor enough that PCNA/PAG won't investigate, then there is coverage. If there is a significant issue, e.g., a warped conrod or piston on an 800hp conversion, forget it. For the gray area in between, it's unpredictable. PCNA/PAG can void a warranty for issues directly related to mods., no matter what the dealer says, so in this case the only way a dealer could cover the service under warranty would be at THEIR cost. For small things, this wouldn't be an issue, BUT for big-ticket work, an owner must be prepared to bear the cost of repairs....

Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
Here was Wayne Corley's response to my email a while back:

Hello Wayne.

Thank you for your quick reply.

There were a few folks discussing Ruf conversions on 6speedonline and
rennlist. Someone had mentioned that warranty service would be
honored at local dealerships. Is this true?

Not exactly. On the rare occasion when there is a warranty type issue on a
RUF conversion, we usually ask the client to take the car to a local Porsche
dealer so that they can try to diagnose the issue. If it is something
relatively minor, we will pay the local dealer to fix it.
I have heard the same thing that Chris said about Ruf vehicles being honored and serviced at any Porsche dealer. But my source goes way back to when Weissach was the NA Ruf dealer. I have heard similar things from the boys in Dallas too years later when I was contemplating the SC conversion 996. What Wayne describes to you sounds like a warranty to me. I sure don't see any other tuners stepping up to the plate. Remember there is a special relationship with Ruf and Porsche, they are the personal tuner of choice for the Porsche family.
Why is everyone so concerned about warranties anyway? If you're worried don't mod at all, in fact don't even get the car if you can't afford to repair and maintain it. Just my .02...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 550 HP upgrade from P dealer