997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Brembo vs PCCB's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:08 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
If that is essentially new PCCB brake, say less than 5k miles, my *opinion* is anything less than $8500 -- the cost of this option -- is a steal. I base my opinion on the fact that buying PCCB new would cost around 14k upwards (14k discount store like Sunset & 18k Porsche dealer??). Taken into consideration my bias of course: I absolutely love PCCB and I don't track.

If the deal goes through, do look into how your dealer could change the ABS software. I never understood this fully, but I believe the ABS software is different for Iron versus PCCB.

And yes front disc of PCCB is 380mm, Big Red is 350. 380 looks beautiful as it fills up the inside of the wheel. Incidentally, I think the new Big Red of the facelift 997 has 380 in front now.

Originally Posted by 997ttt
I was thinking of talking with the owner and seeing what I could do to trade out my Big Reds for these PCCB's.
I was thinking of offering maybe 6,000 on the trade. (including installation)
any thoughts?
tx again

Old 02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
997ttt is infamous around these parts
change in plans

I just called the dealership and confirmed that just the front discs and pads were replaced. I asked the service manager if he was sure that this was the problem. His response "We drove it for about 20 miles and did not hear anything.... It should take care of the problem". He did not sound so sure. I asked if I did the brake trade out if this would be covered with some sort of warranty (I already knew the answer to this but thought I'd ask). He said NO. With just the 2 front pads and discs replaced with 12,000 miles on the car, I thought that to service PCCB's in case I get the awful squeaks again would cost me a fortune.
I will first try painting the Big Reds --> yellow and see how this looks.

thanks for all the advice.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:44 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Thanks Mike. I certainly will. I think the difference is actually quite big between brembro and steel particularly since brembro is 2-piece. Just trying to get an idea as to how much PCCBS weigh. I think there is at least a 15 pound difference (caliper and rotor) between stock and brembro.
If I recall correecty about 12 btw Brembos as steels and about 30 btw Pccbs and Steels...

Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I believe they will stop in a shorter distance and am willing to discuss devising a test .

Well Brembos guy on this forum say that they wont stop faster...but they will last longer and obvuously will start to stop faster when stocks steels start to die

Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor
KrafTechnik is infamous around these partsKrafTechnik is infamous around these parts
You sound like you're clearly a perfectionist, so if you do decide to go with Brembos, I'd suggest getting the Vorsteiner edition:

The carbon option is no additional charge, and as part of the service, they will repaint the calipers any color you want - free. They will even match an OEM color (for an additional fee).

Best of luck and happy motoring

Edit: I see that you got it all worked out. Great news! Nonetheless, keep the above in mind for the future

Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Actually, shorter stopping distances are a benefit of both the 2pc. discs w/ OEM calipers and even more so with the full Brembo GT system. The decrease in distance actually becomes exponential as the speeds increases.

In threshold/panic braking situations from 40 or 60 MPH down to O MPH it may not show as more than 1 or 2 feet because of ABS intervention and the tires being pushed to their maximum level of grip. Tires are one of the limiting factors in the total stopping distance. Caliper stiffness, coefficient of friction, initial bite, and also reductions in rotational weight are other contributing factors.

The tires only become the limiting factor once you exceed their capabilities of grip. There is a whole lot that the brake system itself does up to that point. The majority of the time you are not braking to the limits of the tires and engaging ABS. The largest benefit in stopping distances are realized in track situations, and highway situations where you are braking in between speeds and not down to 0 MPH. You may only realize 1 - 2 feet improvement in a 60-0 MPH braking cycle, BUT you can realize well into double digit improvements when braking from say 110 - 40 MPH.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jnixon is infamous around these parts
I upgraded to the Brembo Gt system on my 997 turbo and I am very happy. The car does have a much better braking feel than the stock brakes. Worth the money in my opinion. The biggest problem I saw with the Carbon brakes was the replacement of the rotor which Porsche does not warranty. I have heard upwards of $5,000 per rotor.