997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Brembo vs PCCB's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 AM
997ttt is infamous around these parts
Brembo vs PCCB's

I really miss the yellow caliper look of the PCCB's.
I am considering:

1. purchasing PCCB's for my 997tt (black)
2. purchasing Brembo's
3. painting my red caplipers yellow.

I am not sure about the specs, but it sure looked like my previous PCCB's had larger diameter discs compared to my current red caliper brakes. It also looks like the PCCB's have a larger diameter disc compared to Brembo's.

Any info on the actual diameter comparison of these discs would be greatley appreciated.

In addition, a good price on the Brembo's?
I know that PCCB's cost about 18,000. Is this correct?
tx again

Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
WheelsBoutique is infamous around these parts
The PCCB's are a great deal if you purchase them with the car. Spending $15k - $18k after the fact is not worth it at all.

Do you track your car or is this just for daily driving?
I opted for the Brembo GT kit, monoblock calipers in yellow, for my own car.

997TT Steel discs = 350mm (Heaviest)
997TT Brembo GT = 380mm (Much Lighter)
997TT PCCB = 380mm (Lightest)

Unless you can find a good deal on a used set of PBBB's I'd cross that off your list.

If you're just doing it for look, go ahead and just paint your OEM calipers.

If you're doing it for performance, Brembo has a couple different options, and I can get you hooked up on any of them.

1) Paint your OEM calipers yellow then add the 2-piece Brembo discs.

2) Go for the full Brembo GT kit that already comes with 2-piece discs, larger, lighter, stiffer calipers, braided lines, and good pads.

You can PM me or call me for pricing.

Ben

Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Don't forget to ask the new brembo type III discs, amazing looking parts !

Old 02-20-2009, 01:07 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I had PCCB on one of my three Porsches . They are nice BUT I think the Brembo are better for a very different reason .

The bottom line is that the PCCB was designed by Porsche for a STOCK engine . With 700 Hp whether the brakes are steel Or PCCB --to stop the car needs MORE than what Porsche placed into the car.

The 15 in Brembo is a monster brake . It's bigger, has more grip , and is designed to add higher performance stopping .

I have had all three brakes . I could have chosen any . In fact I cold have chosen another aftermarket brake and there are some excellent ones . I chose the Brembo .

Old 02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I had PCCB on one of my three Porsches . They are nice BUT I think the Brembo are better for a very different reason .

The bottom line is that the PCCB was designed by Porsche for a STOCK engine . With 700 Hp whether the brakes are steel Or PCCB --to stop the car needs MORE than what Porsche placed into the car.

The 15 in Brembo is a monster brake . It's bigger, has more grip , and is designed to add higher performance stopping .

I have had all three brakes . I could have chosen any . In fact I cold have chosen another aftermarket brake and there are some excellent ones . I chose the Brembo .
This is going to be a 5 page thread, but I have to disagree. The PCCB's can handle much more then the stock motor puts out and in my opinion they are the finest brakes available. Ceramics are here to stay and in a few years you will find them on cars in the 50-60k range. CCB's are not going to remain in the 12K price range forever.

With all that being said like the WB said you can't just assume one brake type will work for all applications. If you race you are going to need to go with something else, unless you have deep pockets. If you check out what guys are using at the tracks you'll find it really depends on the budget.

I have owned cars with big brembo aftermarket kits and I found they were great for the money, but there is much, much better out there.

Since the OP asked about yellow calipers, why not just paint em cheap, easy and no fuss. if you track, go through your stock rotors and then replace them.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
WheelsBoutique is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jiaim
Don't forget to ask the new brembo type III discs, amazing looking parts !
I have the NEW 2pc. discs with the Type-3 slot pattern in stock.
Sooo gorgeous !

Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
You could do the 2 piece rotors that we promote and have and then paint your calipers. Front and rear rotors would be about $3700 and painting about $500. If you did a 4 wheel Brembo kit, your at about $7000.

Here are pics of my car with the Brembo 2pc rotors and install instructions - http://www.vividracing.com/forums/pr...-vr-997tt.html

Old 02-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
oh and the 4 wheel kit is TRULY awesome if you go that route. Here it is on my 996TT in yellow. read the article here - http://www.vividracing.com/forums/pr...e-install.html

Old 02-20-2009, 01:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JZRS4
The PCCB's can handle much more then the stock motor puts out and in my opinion they are the finest brakes available.

I agree wuth everything else you wrote except this . Those PCCB's were designed and placed in a STOCK 997tt . Whether or not it can sustain an extra 200Hp was not the intended design purpose . If you think other brakes are bettter than Brembo I might even agree there too but its NOT those PCCBs . Can an improved , Porsche tested and designed version of ceramics be made for 700 to 1000 Hp Porsches ? I don't know . But the stock ones were not.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor
KrafTechnik is infamous around these partsKrafTechnik is infamous around these parts
Having had Brembo's on all my cars for YEARS, I highly, highly recommend them. Brembo is the world leader in braking technology, and for a kit that is daily-driveable AND trackworthy, you really need not look any further. When compared to the PCCBs, the Brembos are also the best bang for the buck!

Best of luck whichever route you go!
JL

Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I'd go with the Brembos. The only real benefit of the PCCB's over the Brembo is a little bit of weight savings and less brake dust. As far as the aesthetics and preformance goes, I think the big Brembo's are superior. Just my opinion.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
The Brembo GTR kit never gets any love, but in your case if you don't need any more braking power (less fade) I'd just have them painted.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:46 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
They look good...everyone uses Brembos here as aftermarjket brakes but why no other makes ???

Do you guy stock steels wont be able to hold extra power ??? I thought its not only brakes that make the car stop better but its the tyres and their grip...

Old 02-21-2009, 11:56 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I am not sure if you need "better" brake if the engine has 700 hp versus 500 hp.

It's a subtle point I guess, but the brake is not used to stop the engine, it's used to stop a xxxx lbs car, traveling at xxx speed. Those 2 parameters, and how often, are parameters that I would think are more relevant. In other words, you need a certain braking force to stop a 3500 lbs. car at 130 mph; it matters very little how much power was used to get the car to 130 mph! Engine power is related, but in an indirect way; for example if you are not using the extra power efficiently and this extra power causes you to brake more.

It's also true that stopping distance for the Turbo has never been proven to be better from steel to PCCB, or for that matter, AFAIK, the big Brembo, for reasons related to what you are saying, tire traction being the limiting factor.

As far as Brembo versus PCCB, definitely no to PCCB if you track because of the outrageous cost of replacement. Also, if I were to upgrade from big red, I agree that it's better to use Brembo rather than PCCB.
(On a newly ordered car, however, IMO PCCB should be considered as a top option. The initial bite is where the money is, besides the significantly lower unsprung weight -- 35 lbs. and less brake dust. I've not driven car w/ Brembo, but have done so with PCCB versus Big Red on extended drives. There is an easily noticeable difference in intial bite between the 2, **for me** decidedly in favor of PCCB.)

Originally Posted by GT RUS
Do you guy stock steels wont be able to hold extra power ??? I thought its not only brakes that make the car stop better but its the tyres and their grip...

Last edited by cannga; 02-21-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Can -

I wish to clarrify and say my use of the word "better" was geared towards MY specific driving expectations . Someone else may define "better" as cost effective and he may buy the steel brakes , leave his car stock , and actually get a great value out of owning the car for less . It just depends on ones frame of reference .

I also agree that stopping the car is what is being discussed. The Brembo stops my car with less fade than steel brakes and since you agree that PCCB distances are equivalent to the steel --these appear to cut that distance. I won't make absolute claims with no evidence but you wish to run a test lets set up the guideliness and figure out how so this can be laid to rest.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-21-2009 at 12:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brembo vs PCCB's