997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2800 miles - Should I get an Oil Change??? Dealer Special on Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor
KrafTechnik is infamous around these partsKrafTechnik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gretapass
Porsche says you don't need to do it this often - but i'd rather over-maintain then under.
Wise words. With synthetics, you "can" go X,000 miles (depends on the car, of course) without changing. Doesn't mean you should

Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
For that kind of money - why not. As others have said - make sure no hidden gimmicks. I do it annually which is about 3000 miles for me. Porsche used to recommend every two years on cars that do not meet the mileage for oil changes. I think it was for the '08s that Porsche changed it to annually.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Were it mine, I would've done the first change before 2.8K. After you do it, the next interval is dependent on time and how the car is driven. Harder driving = shorter interval.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by KA 997TT
I do mine every 1500 miles and if i run the car hard, i do it every 1000 miles tops.
It is your car, i am sure a lot of folks will come on here and tell you that it is not needed or recommended, I take care of my cars as if i am going to own them forever.

Good luck.
I suppose if you have the money to do so, that is an option. But it really seems like a waste of your hard earned money unless you are running hard or until the oil you are buying is actually breaking down in which case, try a different oil.

I would suggest a UOA (used oil analysis) from somewhere like Blackstone labs. They send you a free container, you collect a sample of oil during your change and you just pay $22.50 to get it analyzed. They tell you how the oil is holding up and recommend an OCI (oil change interval). I think you could save yourself a lot of money by extending your OCI past 1500 mi, especially if you are using a full synthetic.

IMO there is no reason to change your oil unless it is actually not doing it's job/breaking down. If you pay to have it done every 1000/1500 miles, that is a lot of extra money that you could use on mods/other maintenance that would better serve your car than simply removing perfectly good oil. It seems like a peace of mind issue for you to change it so frequently but test after test has shown it is really unecessary without empirical evidence. Plus lets be honest, all that money you waste on oil could buy you some pretty awesome mods/ whatever else you fancy in life.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
IMHO, it's better to get the break in oil out of there as it may contain minute metal wear in bits. After that you could increase the time interval.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
the ongoing debate - my 2 cents

By now you have probably read lots of threads and people have lots of good ideas re oil changes. I'd thought I'd add mine to the pile. All opinions, of course, depend on your driving style. For instance, if you track your car a lot you'll change oil etc. more frequently.

1. Regardless of driving style do not follow the manual's schedule - the periods are too long and your engine deserves to be well cared for (see #5 for exception)
2. Get an oil change after your first 2-4 thousand miles as your engine breaks in (regardless of the argument the engine is well tested before delivery).
3. Spend about $150 and send samples of your oil to a reputable professional lab (e.g. Blackstone Labs - highly recommended) for some very useful information regarding your engine. The $150 gets you 6 sample analysis and sample containers for mailing & you get your emailed results in a week and they mail you a hard copy (well worth the cost, I think).
4. Professional oil analysis labs will tell you (among many other things) that your 997TT oil filter (on "average") has a life of about 5K miles - which is partly the reason so many owners (who some think a bit "****") change their oil and filters so frequently. Even if you take this claim as a conservative estimate I would think it tells us to have an oil change fairly frequently.
5. If you are on warranty have your manual required oil change done at your dealer and have the others done at a reputable shop (for about 1/2 - 1/3 the price of the dealer).
6. Our two main enemies are heat and friction - change that oil!
Enjoy your dream car!
K.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:34 PM
mjb2448 is infamous around these parts
I'm just curious, you analyze your oil and what... it's filthy.. there's microscopic traces of metal, it smells like over cooked oso bucco...then what ? take your findings to your dealer and ask for a new engine, tranny, loaner car ? Then prepare yourself for the unique laughter of someone from Deutchland. Now on the otherhand you're sitting on the grid in a cup car waiting for the green flag ......well then you betcha

Old 02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
info

I'm not sure if you are asking for information but if so you can check Blackstone Laboratories (www.blackstone-labs.com) for more detailed info. I'm sure there are other reputable labs as well so perhaps other members could refer you to others.

Originally Posted by mjb2448
I'm just curious, you analyze your oil and what... it's filthy.. there's microscopic traces of metal, it smells like over cooked oso bucco...then what ? take your findings to your dealer and ask for a new engine, tranny, loaner car ? Then prepare yourself for the unique laughter of someone from Deutchland. Now on the otherhand you're sitting on the grid in a cup car waiting for the green flag ......well then you betcha