997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sequential Gear Shift System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Sequential Gear Shift System

Curious if anybody here running the Oakley Design sequential shifter for street use? Pros and cons?

Using the original Porsche gearbox we provide a very high quality, proven system that changes the shift pattern from H Pattern to sequential.

This system has been fitted to both road variant models such as 997 GT3, GT2, Turbo etc. and 996 Cup cars.
It is easy to operate, provides faster shifts with all the advantages of sequential systems on downshifts (i.e. no 5th to 2nd!) allowing you to be faster and smoother without the worry of wrong gear selection.
- Quicker and more precise shifting (no more shifting mistakes) i.e 5th to 2nd!
- Reduced lap times
- Assembled directly onto your Porsche gearbox
- Dash mounted LED displays the current gear selected - turning your car into a true race car!
- Road Legal
- Can use standard gear **** or taller unit

Sequential System explained...
The system was designed by a Siemens engineer for Porsche 996 Cup cars. In the end Porsche decide not to use the system (due to cost at the time) and the designer bought back the rights to the system which has now been defined and is marketed by Oakley Design.
The only physical change to the car is to remove the shift unit in the car and replace with the taller sequential shifter. Remove the two OE cables and replace with one cable supplied. The unit then bolts to the side of the Porsche gearbox. No welding, bending or permanent modification is required. The system is electromagnetic. It receives a signal from the shifter in the car. The driver pulls back for first, again for 2nd, again for the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Reverse is one push forward of neutral.
When shifting from 2nd to 3rd the shifter does the sideways movement on the box in addition to the fore or aft movement and the same from 4th to 5th (effectively across the gate).
Use of the clutch is required as the system still uses the OE gears.
The result is shifting is about twice as fast as OE. It removes room for error especially when track driving i.e 5th to 2nd which is often catastrophic to engines and transmission.
In addition shifts are much easier mid-corner especially when pulling larger G forces. With this system it is just a quick ‘******’ of the gear and keep accelerating.
It makes much more sense when driving it….!!!
This system is ‘fit and forget’ ie. it needs no maintenance. Also the car can be reversed back to OE H pattern if and when required.

Last edited by N2it; 02-22-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Anybody???

Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, that would be fun!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
I suspect you are going to face some challenges, although it may be a great system. I love sequential shifers in the pro racing that I have done, but with the coming of the PDK solution to the entire range of cars with the advent of the 991 (998) model line, I suspect your market is limited to those who have manual shifters now.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Sounds interesting. Did I miss "how do you downshift"?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
I suspect you are going to face some challenges, although it may be a great system. I love sequential shifers in the pro racing that I have done, but with the coming of the PDK solution to the entire range of cars with the advent of the 991 (998) model line, I suspect your market is limited to those who have manual shifters now.
I want to "demo" one regardless. PDK will be awesome but for now my 6 will have to do.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by summoboy
Sounds interesting. Did I miss "how do you downshift"?
Push the shifter in a forward direction while using the clutch of course.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Just curious, what is the price of that thing? looks fun!
*** Edit ***
just found out it retails for 8k... OUCH!!!

Last edited by SRatha; 02-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SRatha
*** Edit ***
If you have to have PDK today, this is the only way and its far more reliable and you don't have to move to the new unproven motor. Plus, PDK still has totally worthless steering wheel buttons.
So many pros and a few cons. Personally, I would never need it. If you track more then 50% of the time, its probably more worth while of an upgrade then what most people do.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JZRS4
If you have to have PDK today, this is the only way and its far more reliable and you don't have to move to the new unproven motor. Plus, PDK still has totally worthless steering wheel buttons.
So many pros and a few cons. Personally, I would never need it. If you track more then 50% of the time, its probably more worth while of an upgrade then what most people do.
Not to mention, we have no idea how PDK's clutches will handle HP upgrades. Even on the 997TT, cars with true HP > 600 have some troubles...I'd prefer to replace a standard manual with a sequential shifter, than figure out how to swap clutch plates on the PDK.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by SRatha
*** Edit ***
Not cheap by any means... Thanks for finding this out.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Not to mention, we have no idea how PDK's clutches will handle HP upgrades. Even on the 997TT, cars with true HP > 600 have some troubles...I'd prefer to replace a standard manual with a sequential shifter, than figure out how to swap clutch plates on the PDK.

I agree. Maybe 8k+/- would pay for itself? Oakley is trying to get a foothold in the states on street cars + so they should outfit, let' say my car and a few others for some feedback. Let's call em?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
GTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to behold
Cartronic have an identical unit for approx $5000. www.cartronic-motorsport.de

Old 02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by GTRETA
Cartronic have an identical unit for approx $5000. www.cartronic-motorsport.de
Right on-thanks and I will check it out.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 PM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
let us know how it turns out! btw, the modified shifter reminds me of morning wood!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sequential Gear Shift System