997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Another 620 kit born

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi there Kafka,

Very nice and congrats! You are not making it easy for me (still stock).

Are the intercoolers the main reason your kit is 620 hp, versus just the ECU & exhaust upgrade only only?

Originally Posted by Kafka997
their hand held flash loader feature suits my driving needs well (a long story for another time).
Enjoy.
If you don't mind, how about a short story version please? Is stock better in certain situation, like traffic jam? TIA.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Comment

Hi Cannga.

Your advice to go with the Bilsteins before power upgrade is solid. It's very important to experience the new balance etc. before adding more power (lots of power stock anyway ).

The intercoolers do add a bit to the overall 620 package's power of course (see AWE site for numbers). They may not be for everyone but I included them as I will be doing some spirited driving this summer (including track time) in Southern California and probably Las Vegas and Arizona so I want to keep those turbo temperatures reasonable. As you know excessive heat can be an (reliability) issue for our turbos under certain conditions and I don't want to take that step into new or modified turbos (out of my league). Cooler temps = more power = happy turbos and engine life. Driving in Canadian winters don't require bigger intercoolers - just patience.

The new kit is very similar to stock, just a bit smoother, in stop and go traffic. No problems whatsoever and I drove in traffic today after after a huge snow storm and -18C temps. You do get a lot of "looks" driving in these conditions - looks that suggest people are wondering if I need or have failed the mental health component of the driver's test. Hey, it's great in the snow with Zotozeros and you get to play and learn from so many different new situations without the need for speed nor power.

Re short version: The hand held flashloader really appealed to me for a number of reasons one being that I let others drive my car at times (e.g. my son). (1) So I like the option of flashing back to like-stock when others in my family want to drive for fun and (2) for others and myself to seat-test compare the tuning differences between like-stock and new "pump" modes. It's not a one way/product is better than an other way/product question at all, it's just that this suits me. That's the short version.

Hope you are still enjoying the Bilsteins as much as when you got them. They are amazing! Your comparison between stock and Bilstein normal-sport modes using the 1-10 scale is right on - a classic piece of info for those considering this mod.
K.

Last edited by Kafka997; 03-08-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Can,

You are welcome to drive my car anytime for your research.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Mike,
Thanks for the generous offer! I might take you up on it if/when I get serious. And yes EVOM versus GIAC remain the 2 front runners.

Kafka,
Thanks for the detailed response. Regarding reason number 2: Interesting! I thought I was the only placing some emphasis on the ability to go back to stock, if only for the reason that I like to be able to compare and learn in minute details what the changes are, of tuned versus stock.

Re. Bilstein, sill loving the Bilstein; to put it mildly it's a "life saver" for the car. There is no doubt I would have sold my stock Turbo had I not found the Bilstein solution. As it's turned out, I've test driven Lambo Gallardo, F430, Corvette, and found that the modded Turbo, while obviously not yet perfect, yields very little to any of these super and beautiful cars. And that's with my untuned ECU car. I could imagine with an ECU tune the Turbo would truly lay waste!

Last edited by cannga; 03-09-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Kafka997,

<!--StartFragment -->Thank you for the kind words and great pictures. Congrats on the upgrades, I am really happy that you are enjoying your car and that the installation went well. Rob at Tunerwerks and Mike of AWE Tuning have both been great for us to work with too. Give us a call if you are in the Irvine area when you come down to Southern California, we would love to see your car.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Kafka,

Thanks so much for your business.

Repeat clients are the most rewarding part of my job.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
congrats on all the work, looks great