997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Another 620 kit born

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Another 620 kit born

It's a new TT!

I just got the rest (had the exhaust installed previously) of the AWE 620 kit (headers, intercoolers, hoses, GIAC flash) and IDP plenum installed (to add to my Bilstein damps, H&R sways and toe links). I did a lot of research as there are a number of excellent products and companies - and they are all good choices. I decided upon AWE for a number of reasons. Mike was always available by phone or email to patiently and enthusiastically answer all my MANY questions over the past few months. Andrew at GIAC did the same and their hand held flash loader feature suits my driving needs well (a long story for another time). A few senior members of this forum added greatly to my research. Rob at Tunerworks, who has taken excellent care of developing my cars, and his staff offered solid, balanced, and experienced advice and technical abilities to make this all happen. You just can't get a better company and bunch of guys to work with you, period! Thanks to all, big time .

I've only had a day of seat time (city and country hills) but I'm VERY impressed.Others before me have said it all before but I didn't really understand what they meant until I drove the car with the product. The power curve is absolutely perfect, SO smooth and linear all the way at all levels of load at all RPM - and it keeps coming all the way to the red line. You really feel the difference, and this isn't even "power" related. Not only is it smooth as silk all the time (lag is cut in 1/2 too) but you feel much more "connected" to the drive. You are the car.

The power and acceleration increases take my breath away followed by an uncontrolled bust of laughter. For me the extra boost and the way it is delivered is perfect. I have nothing to compare it to except my stock TT, this is true, but this product is more than I expected. I can hardly wait for temperatures above zero and dry roads - and the track when my HREs arrive. But even driving around the city is smoother and you can still feel the "zip" without flooring it (but the car begs for more it seems).

You've heard most of this before - but the car is a VERY different drive in so many ways and once you try it you will, like so many other members have said (using other company products as well), just wonder why doesn't everyone do it (if $ allows).

I've posted some photos in this and another thread (ran out of space). Hope you can view them as they may be a bit small).
Enjoy.

Attached Images      

Last edited by Kafka997; 03-07-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Second bunch of photos

Here are the rest of the photos!
I am feeling .....
K.

P.S. I guess I should have put them in sort of more logical order, hope you can get an idea of the process.

Attached Images      
Old 03-07-2009, 06:56 PM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats!!So you have PCCB?Thats awesome..My standard brakes cant really hold my evt700 ...

Also do you feel more torque between 2000rpm-4500rpm or 4500rpm-6500rpm?As when I have evo620 kit I feel more between 2000-4500..Seems GIAC tuning torque range is different?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
congrats on all the work, looks great. I can't wait do one of these kits to my car soon. And I thought that a stock TT was fast, but a 620 must be insane

Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Hard to tell

Originally Posted by lintc0532
Congrats!!So you have PCCB?Thats awesome..My standard brakes cant really hold my evt700 ...

Also do you feel more torque between 2000rpm-4500rpm or 4500rpm-6500rpm?As when I have evo620 kit I feel more between 2000-4500..Seems GIAC tuning torque range is different?
With our icy roads and snow tires it's a bit hard to tell the pull of the TQ at lower RPM versus the pull of HP at higher RPM. But the power curve is just unbelievably smooth and linear compared to stock. That said, when at full load there is definitely a noticeable but smooth increase in TQ delivery up until about 31-32K and then you feel like you are being shot out of a sling shot right up to red line (now 7200 limiter with buffer at 7000) with the same smooth and linear feel of pull all the way. It's very fast but because of the power delivery design it's not an out-of-control blast from nothing to everything. But it's not like an ON-OFF type of feeling given the nature of the GIAC power curve - it's very fluid but you move to a different "level" at about 32K. Sorry, it's hard to explain and my choice of words are probably not the best descriptors. It's still an easy daily driver in our Canadian winters but you have to exercise caution when stepping on it these days - another month until we get some decent roads. Sorry, I haven't driven any EVT products but I hear they are equally impressive but with a different expression of power and curve design (not better or worse - enough of that argument!). I am impressed with the way AWE the power is delivered regardless of the degree of aggressiveness you choose during the day. I also enjoy the reduced lag - you probably have even less with your monster 700 kit.

It would a blast to be able to drive a few "kits" in one day with the similar power but with different philosophies to see what actually feel like (versus the numbers). All good but probably somewhat different I would think - gives different drivers good choices. I'm sure happy with mine - obviously. And I'm sure glad I followed others' advice and installed the new suspension - it really adds to the feel of the drive now.

Yes, the ceramic brakes are definitely enough with this kit and I hear my stock clutch should be fine (for awhile anyway). I can't imagine driving one of the 700/750 kits - enjoy (pick up a good Brembo or similar kit too). I assume you have an upgraded clutch - I've heard it is a must, or soon will be.

Thanks for the congrats!
K.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
congrats on the great work... I didn't realize there was a 620 kit... how much did it cost you if I may ask?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Sort of

Originally Posted by nyamg
congrats on all the work, looks great. I can't wait do one of these kits to my car soon. And I thought that a stock TT was fast, but a 620 must be insane
Try it, I guarantee you'll like it - big time. I'm amazed how these products can pull so much more (not just power) out of the driving experience. The car simply, as others have said, wakes up! Hope you get a chance to try one of these products out to see for yourself (maybe at a track event?).
K.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Cost

Originally Posted by SRatha
congrats on the great work... I didn't realize there was a 620 kit... how much did it cost you if I may ask?
Yes, I guess because of the newer and "sexier" 700/750 kits this kit doesn't get much press these days but AWE refers to it as their 620 kit (as does EVOMS for their own popular 620 kit) . I'm in Canada and our dollar is about 78 cents US. To avoid currency conversion confusions causing me mislead you just check the AWE web site for:
GIAC flash (some variation here depending upon options)
Exhaust
Headers
Intercoolers & hoses
(no need for new clutch)
Then add your taxes, about .8-1$K labor (???depending - I had my professionally installed by an AWE authorized dealer), do your currency conversion and you should get a good idea. Or email Mike at AWE - he's very helpful with all matters.
Good luck and let me know if you decide to move in that direction.
I also installed the IDP plenum (probably no extra power but I'm into smooth power delivery and reduced lag) - about 3 hours labor roughly. You can "move up" to the 700/750 kit later but you will pay again for a new ECU reflash, new throttle body, clutch, and turbos (new or rebuilt) - can't use IDP plenum with 700/750 kits. And I'd guess you'd be buying lots of tires!
K.

Last edited by Kafka997; 03-07-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:18 PM
nreddy is infamous around these parts
ipd plenum

Is the IPD from AWE or EVO.Also from Calgary-2007 997TT-thinking of going your route-have bigger headers and X haust.What does the suspension feel like compared to stock? AGREE : Rob Tunerworks is very honest and kowledgable.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:25 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Glad you like it Kafka. It is like Christmas in the spring for you

Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 PM
nreddy is infamous around these parts
Is the 700/750 kits really worth the difference in effort and price. The old story of diminishing returns.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nreddy
Is the 700/750 kits really worth the difference in effort and price. The old story of diminishing returns.
I know 2 tip Protomotive and SPI 750 kits rans

0-60 under 3sec
60-130 in 6.5-6.8sec
125-187.5 13.5-15.4sec

Take a look to that 6 speed 997tt EARLY Proto 700kit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7csn7STWsEk

Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned
Neeeenja is a jewel in the roughNeeeenja is a jewel in the roughNeeeenja is a jewel in the rough
I heard the 700 is not really for tracks as it disturbs the handling but I could be wrong, never seen it in person.

I dont have a package but so far I have on IPD comp plenum, headers, LWFW, clutch, and ECU(BBI) been too busy to put that on yet. Can't wait to see the results. Needless to say aftermarket brakes are coming...

Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Calgary

Originally Posted by nreddy
Is the IPD from AWE or EVO.Also from Calgary-2007 997TT-thinking of going your route-have bigger headers and X haust.What does the suspension feel like compared to stock? AGREE : Rob Tunerworks is very honest and kowledgable.
Glad to see someone else from Calgary with the same enthusiasm for the TTs. The IDP is RSS I believe as AWE (not sure about EVO) doesn't make their own. There is lots of debate over the plenum but I think there is some consensus at least over how it smooths out the mid-range power delivery and assists in lag reduction. The increased power numbers - hard to know.
There are a few major experts on TT suspension upgrades on this forum and I'm not one of them - although I was very influenced by their advice. Search cannga's posts as they are very detailed and I agree with them all. I chose the Bilstein Damps (with H & R sways and toe links) as they allow you to continue to use PASM just like stock. Both normal and sport settings give you a much closer connection to the driving experience (this includes some of the road bumps too - but it's no problem) and is a good balance for daily driving with some track time as well -& the steering is much tighter! If you are more of a track person you might want to consider a more aggressive suspension. It changes the car as much as the power kit and together it's a whole new TT world. PM me if you want to set up a test ride when the roads warm and dry up - words just don't do justice to the driving experience of these mods. I'm always glad to help out a fellow Tunerworks fan.
K.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
No package?

Originally Posted by Neeeenja
I heard the 700 is not really for tracks as it disturbs the handling but I could be wrong, never seen it in person.

I dont have a package but so far I have on IPD comp plenum, headers, LWFW, clutch, and ECU(BBI) been too busy to put that on yet. Can't wait to see the results. Needless to say aftermarket brakes are coming...
With all your mods, don't you already have most of, if not all, of a stage 2 or 3 package? Does your ECU know this?
Vancouver's my home town, many decades ago, so I know you have some great roads to run - and almost all year!
Nice ride, enjoy!
K.

Last edited by Kafka997; 03-08-2009 at 08:12 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another 620 kit born