997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New 997 turbo...doesn't feel as fast as my m6 part2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Boosted911 is infamous around these parts
New 997 turbo...doesn't feel as fast as my m6 part2

This is follow up to a thread I post yesterday. I cannot post on that thread because it says my account is not activated. I decided to re-post this because I cannot wait any longer because I am thoroughly disgusted. I picked up this cpo'd 997 turbo yesterday and have spent the better part of today to try and figure out why it's not performing like I feel like it should.

With sport chrono on and psm off, the boost level would not rise above 9psi (doesnt feel that fast...doesnt plant you into the seat). Is this normal? Shouldn't it rise to 16-17psi..if only briefly. The car runs normally. If this is normal....i would rather have my m6 back. Thanks for all the responses on the previous thread. Additional input would be great. Thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Go and have the car dynoed, or go to the drag strip. Look for HP/Torque numbers or trap speeds. That will tell if it's your butt dyno needing calibration or something wrong with the car.

If the car happens to have a problem, you do not want to throw mods at it to cover up that problem.

I've driven a modded M6 and a Stock TT and the TT still felt faster and this was several months apart. If it dyno's right or traps right, then it's you, if not, get a diagnostic run.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:53 PM
McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !
It says your account is awaiting email verification. Check your email and see if there is something there to conclude the creation of your account. If not, create a new account and be sure that your email address is correct. You must verify your account and if it sent it to an incorrect email, you would never now!

As for the tech question, someone else will have to step in. I'm not a 997 owner, yet

Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
if your only hitting 9 lbs you have a problem. ..and your missing out on the fun at the higher levels

Get it into the dealer asap but worth while checking for lose fitting intercooler hoses, intake hoses etc. which is more than likely the culprit. You should see 14 or so in 3rd gear over 3k.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I agree. You definitely have a problem and it's not with your butt dyno. Best advice--take it in.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 AM
yyzc4s is infamous around these parts
9 psi is around 0.62 bar. That does not sound right at all. You should peak at around 0.9 or 1.0 (at times) stock.
Get the car checked out.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
are there any idle or stalling issues? If so, it would indicate a boost leak probably at one of the intercooler hoses or at the intake Y pipe.

if no issues with idle/stalling, have them check the VTG actuator arms. They are supposed to be re-lubed to prevent binding which may keep you from getting full boost.

lastly, add some race fuel to the car (100-104 unleaded). These cars are very octane sensitive and if for some reason it was filled with lower octane (<93) you may not develop full boost.

If you are in Houston, take it to West Houston Porsche and as Don Irby to work on the car. He is simply the best Porsche dealership master Porsche Tech in the Southwest US

Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
My advice to see if something is really wrong with this car, you should ask for a test drive at another dealership. This way you can compare with your butt dyno and decide your next move. If something is wrong with you car, you should definitely take it back to your dealer.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
What Gene said, get it over to Don ASAP.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 AM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
i drove an M5 with Gotham Dream Cars tour, and it definitely gives the kick in the pants feeling right off the line. The Turbo does have some lag, but at speed they should both be kicking hard. Good luck at the stealership.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
When one of my turbos went out, I was running about 8 psi and the car was a slow pig and clearly slower than my M6- get it looked at under warranty.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Boosted911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
are there any idle or stalling issues? If so, it would indicate a boost leak probably at one of the intercooler hoses or at the intake Y pipe.

if no issues with idle/stalling, have them check the VTG actuator arms. They are supposed to be re-lubed to prevent binding which may keep you from getting full boost.

lastly, add some race fuel to the car (100-104 unleaded). These cars are very octane sensitive and if for some reason it was filled with lower octane (<93) you may not develop full boost.

If you are in Houston, take it to West Houston Porsche and as Don Irby to work on the car. He is simply the best Porsche dealership master Porsche Tech in the Southwest US

There have been no idle or stalling issues, but maybe they filled it up with 87 octane. I will fill up and see if that changes things. I'm really close to North Houston Porsche, i'm thinking of bringing it by and having someone drive it. I was also thinking of taking it to auto dynamica to see if someone could drive it and tell me if it felt normal...idk(i believe they're in north houston)...any experience with them? THanks for everyones help.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
clearly its not normal, book it into the dealer, get the VTG lubrication thing done anyways and they will make it right.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boosted911
There have been no idle or stalling issues, but maybe they filled it up with 87 octane. I will fill up and see if that changes things. I'm really close to North Houston Porsche, i'm thinking of bringing it by and having someone drive it. I was also thinking of taking it to auto dynamica to see if someone could drive it and tell me if it felt normal...idk(i believe they're in north houston)...any experience with them? THanks for everyones help.

I would avoid N Houston's service dept. They even screwed up their own sales manager's car.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
9 psi of boost is definately not normal. Get it checked out ASAP.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 997 turbo...doesn't feel as fast as my m6 part2