997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Who has been waiting to get their ECU remapped?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
You can't go wrong with Sharkwerks/Evoms. Look at the records they continue to break, what they are doing is on another level.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:01 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
How long did wait for get this first taste ?
BTW --I know you are feeling bliss but imagine that there's even more . My first setup was similar to yours with intake and intercoolers . I thought that was enough . I wondered what more could there be .....

Drive it, enjoy it . Evoms is awesome !!!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:26 PM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
I'm on the fence also. I would love to get the bump in HP but still a little worried about losing my engine warranty. That being said I figure by now if there was something to go wrong it would all ready happen. So with a fabspeed exhaust(no header) what kind of Hp could I see with adding a ECU. And why are the pricing so different between brands?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:16 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I wouldn't worry about flashing a turbo, the motor is bulletproof. I run the PES, but there are many good ones out there, I personally prefer a custom flash vs a off the shelf version. Customer service is very important, Tony at PES is very available, in fact I'm sure I annoyed him at times.
Just do it!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:31 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Could anyone with the EVO system explain this to me?
You don't feel any difference between EVO and stock until you hit that Sport button?

EVO versus GIAC, tough tough choice as both have such great reputation. But... from reading between the line, it **seems** (just speculating -- no flame please ) that the EVO pulls harder and feels more powerful?

Anyone here has experienced both EVO and GIAC? I guess not except the pro's like Alex/Sharkwerks and Mike/AWE?

Originally Posted by JZRS4
The car runs identical to stock, not even a suggestion that something was altered. ...snip...So after about 10 mins of warming the motor up, I hit the sport button, got on the highway and OMG, I have never had a car pull like this ever

Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
EVO versus GIAC, tough tough choice as both have such great reputation. But... from reading between the line, it **seems** (just speculating -- no flame please ) that the EVO pulls harder and feels more powerful?
I've seen people post that too, but I have yet to see any vbox data to confirm this. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone post vbox data on any US tuner ECU + Exhaust combo on pump gas....Gene posted his runs on a 50/50 mix with race fuel, but nothing on pump gas alone.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Power points to EVO, but... the tough thing for me is I actually consider the ability to easily go back to stock level (not from warranty concern but for education and comparison, and the possibility that I might like stock in certain situation) important. So I can't decide yet between the flash loader idea versus the seeminly more powerful EVO flash.

BTW, you asked a question on another thread that was related to the consistency of dyno I think? Don't know if this answers the question but have a look at this thread, particularly the posts by Todd/AWE. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...7-turbo-3.html

Originally Posted by bbywu
I've seen people post that too, but I have yet to see any vbox data to confirm this. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone post vbox data on any US tuner ECU + Exhaust combo on pump gas....Gene posted his runs on a 50/50 mix with race fuel, but nothing on pump gas alone.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Power points to EVO, but... the tough thing for me is I actually consider the ability to easily go back to stock level (not from warranty concern but for education and comparison, and the possibility that I might like stock in certain situation) important. So I can't decide yet between the flash loader idea versus the seeminly more powerful EVO flash.

BTW, you asked a question on another thread that was related to the consistency of dyno I think? Don't know if this answers the question but have a look at this thread, particularly the posts by Todd/AWE. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...7-turbo-3.html
Yeah...I've been following the thread. There are so many things that can be done to a dyno plot to distort the data for comparison against "stock" runs. And without knowing how the testing is setup or what parameters are used, a dyno plot can be manipulated to give a unfair appearance. They are only a tool to help you tune your specific car with your specific modifications.

I think the best measure of performance is trap time, vbox runs. That's kind of why I asked about EVOMSit flash+exhaust vbox data.

Last edited by bbywu; 03-27-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey folks so I'm back at a desk (getting ready for the CEC/TechArt event in LA) so I can at least type with a real PC now but the question came up as to how/why we choose to do what we do and I've shown this before to folks in the 997 section but let me share this with you guys too. Basically, it comes down to having the car itself, the hardware, the tools, the tuner all together in one place and many hours, days, months etc... or work. To give you an idea of the EVOMSit tuning process I can show you a glimpse of what we did with the new DFI 2009 Seimens ECU as an example but we went through very similar steps on our Cayman S, 3.8L 997 GT3RS and of course Todd@EVOMS has done even more of this with his own 997TT at his place. So here's a glimpse into the strangely secret, complicated and yet sometimes wonderful world of software tuning

The EVOMS crew has been very open, helpful and willing to work together on software creation. We’ve successfully been using and installing the entire range of EVOMSit software for some time now here and been eager to help with the 2009 DFI program. Our 09 997S has actually been running/testing the EVOMSit software on the car for a few weeks now but yesterday was the day we wanted to actually validate what we had been feeling/testing/ on the street. So armed with a pair of SDI3 (Siemens) ECUs, a PIWIS, AWD Mustang dyno, our EVOMSit Software/Hardware toolkit (came with the Tuner) we eked out a bit more power.

First and foremost here are the results:

Now a little about the tools and process...
To start things off you can see that in order to be able to communicate, read, edit and upload the data on the SIEMENS SDI3 requires a lot of precise and rather nifty gear. The Bosch Motronic ECUs of old were far more cooperative that's for sure. As of now there are no tools available specific to this new ECU. EVO had to engineer and manufacture their own to "open the communication door" into this ECU. Also, this ECU does not use the same shape bosch type map structure. It uses the same map structure as the SDI4 ECU found in the Cayenne TTFSI which we have learned about a year ago through trial and error. This made us VERY familiar with the maps in the SDI3 found in the 997. Once the ECU has been what's known as "boot-strapped" (this is tricky indeed) we gain access to stock data and "read" it out as shown here.

With the data read out you can see how the tuning of individual maps (and there are many) takes places (flow maps, timing, fuel etc...). The 3D mapping tweaks have to be precise and you can't just blast them with 48 degrees of timing

Once the EVOMSit software has been created using the same tools we are able to "upload" as shown here. The process does take a few minutes...

As far as running the car on the dyno goes, as an end-user you won't have access to the PIWIS Porsche Tester but it's not a requirement either should you want to dyno your own car. For 17K I'd prefer it ran Linux instead of Windows XP and that you could actually do proper data logging (unless you call sitting there recording live data with a camera data logging).

So how does one actually get meaningful dyno data?
Well, we spent the first hour getting the car to dyno with some repeatability. Typically, when testing a new car or a new file, or test a car in general, you need to make consecutive dyno pulls until the following happens:
1. The car makes 2 or 3 repeatable pulls in a row
2. When the car progressively makes more power with each consecutive run, you need to continue to dyno test until the power falls off. This indicates that the ECU is adapting and when it starts to loose power, you can compare this last pull (where the power falls off) to another sample test group conducted in the same way. On the 997 FSI injected engine with the SDI 3 ECU the ECU adapts fairly quickly however due to the complexity of the various different timing maps, it required about 10 dyno pulls after each flash for the ECU to fully adapt. Additionally, we log the timing and monitor AFR through the OBD port with the Mustang auto tap OBDII data logging software. This allowed us to overlay the various runs to see the timing and AFR changes and to gain accurate data to make the necessary tuning changes to gain the desired results. With careful testing procedures, where we are only interested in acquiring accurate testing results, we can make real adjustments that have real results. Typically if you let the car cool of and do a few key and driving cycles, the car will then repeat this power figure as in test case scenario 1 as listed above. It may take up to 10 dyno pulls to get the ECU adapted after a flash.

After some nine test files we are satisfied with the dyno testing results. We then integrated some advanced (SP) sport pedal and IST (integrated switching technology) settings to maximize throttle response and higher octane timing maps. After more final field tests we are now satisfied with these latest changes and are ready to offer what we feel to be an extremely robust solution for those of you with 2009 997S cars in the form of the EVOMSit. Make no mistake the process wasn't easy EVOMS has spent a lot of time creating and developing the necessary gear. With the EVOMSit software a typical 997S PDK car can expect to gain ~13HP and 12TQ on 91 octane. The nice thing was that we were able to create, test, tweak and fine tune multiple files on the car and on-site with these tools and gathered a plethora of data. The throttle response is also much-improved as far as drivability is concerned.

This process isn’t cheap either with these new cars and just totting a few things up in my head:

PIWIS porsche system tester $17K (and more in updates)
Mustang awd dyno cell with sophisticated data acquisition tools $100k
New 997.2 $100k
Proprietary ECU read-write hardware $5k
Prop ECU read write tools cables and software $10k
$50k invested into software applications to modify the eprom and processor data, correct and calculate checksums
Many years of combined auto tuning
At least 3 months of field testing and software adjusting
1 day of dedicated software refinements and adjusting to maximize power and torque - 60+ dyno pulls at Wide Open Throttle,
15 gallons of 91 octane CA fuel

Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
A few more pix that didn't make it into the final cut

Again, the 997 DFI car is a completely different animal and far more simplistic in terms of the variables for tuning but this gives you a short idea that you don't normally see...

Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Can,

I had th GIAC in my 996tt and now the EVO in my 997tt. Both programs are great. I don't know if EVOMS actually produces more power or not. I think it really comes down to preference.

You can come by and drive my car and then maybe someone local with the GIAC flash will let you test their car as well. I think that is really the only way you can make a real educated decision. I have driven several different brand ECU tuned cars and they all feel different. They all have their good and bad points. You just have to find which one suits you best.

Put it through the same process you used to choose your exhaust.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Mike, thanks again for the very nice offer. Yes I have this feeling I am going to call you one of these days. I also have this feeling once I drive your car, the decision will be quick.
Did you have to change the stock clutch as a result of the stage 1 EVOM ECU tune?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Mike, thanks again for the very nice offer. Yes I have this feeling I am going to call you one of these days. I also have this feeling once I drive your car, the decision will be quick.
Did you have to change the stock clutch as a result of the stage 1 EVOM ECU tune?
You should be absolutely fine on the stock clutch until you go beyond 640 crank There's also a 45-day money-back type offer with the EVOMSit. If for some reason you don't like it etc... we'd return it to stock (not that we've ever had that happen).

Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
V-man is infamous around these parts
i am located in chicago area which dealer did your install not sure i trust the guy at Motor works they sugest the champaion conversion from the guys in florida tubi giac air box about 10 grand

Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
i'm not on the fence about getting the software done, but still undecided on which vendor to go with (evo, giac, softronic...) what made you pick evo over the others
I selected EVoMSit after about 4 months of research. I contacted numerous shops, dealers, owners. The only ones that gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling about longevity, and dependability while working with the current dealership network was Evo. I came from a highly modded BMW, so GIAC was out, and i had been rubbed the wrong way by Dinan, so any shop pretending to be an OEM was out. I wanted nothing crazy, and honest opinions, Alex at Sharkwerks answered every question, backed them up and took customer service in the tuner world to the next level.
My car was ordered in June and was delivered to Alex, not me. Well, the market crashed, blah, blah and Alex was a saint throughout the entire process. My dealer is happy to work with him.
I would never take my word for it, call around, and don't be shy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who has been waiting to get their ECU remapped?