997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cosmoline removal under engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 AM
wcatabay is a jewel in the roughwcatabay is a jewel in the roughwcatabay is a jewel in the rough
Cosmoline removal under engine

Just got my oil changed by Porsche (see previous thread) and my usual **** thing to do with all my cars is to spray degreaser on the engine to keep it clean from residual oil and dirt that accumulate between oil changes.

Question is I decided to spray auto engine degreaser under the engine and all the cosmoline was removed. Engine is much cleaner looking showing pure Aluminum and metal. Was this a bad thing to do?

The service guys said it is there to protect the engine when driving on salted snow roads. In California no such thing and I don't even drive in the rain.

Thoughts from anyone!

Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Porsche even places a computerized dipstick which seems to point to a manufactuer who would rather have less owners looking under the hood .

Old 03-28-2009, 10:38 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
I see no problems in California.

Seen a couple of photos of -cosmoline and the bottom side looks awesome.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
I removed the cosmoline from mine as well. I didn't like the way it smelled when the car is driven hard. No problem in California.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Which degreaser did you use? Did you have to use brushes / powerwash too?
Any pics?
I'm the same way. It's a fair weather car for me. The cosmoline just makes it an all world, all weather car. I want it off.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
love to see some pics.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:10 PM
wcatabay is a jewel in the roughwcatabay is a jewel in the roughwcatabay is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the response; sorry for no before and after pics, but I can say it just looks clean on the bottom of the engine. See the Sharkwerks pics for examples of engines with cosmoline and without. I used Auto Zone engine degreaser and Gumout brands. Some are way to strong and discolor the plastic and rubber. These did not....no scrubbing, just spray on while engine is warm, let cool down and rinse off with garden hose sprayer.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Which degreaser did you use? Did you have to use brushes / powerwash too?
Any pics?
I'm the same way. It's a fair weather car for me. The cosmoline just makes it an all world, all weather car. I want it off.
Moe Misty @ Glistening Perfection sells Cosmoline remover.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey wcatabay you're all good... Nothing to worry about there and you're right we usually clean off the cosmoline when we build engines etc... Nothing to worry about here in California. They also do it for shippng the cars over from Europe.