997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2010 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Pdk

ALLLLL of my friends, made fun of my PDK...until they either drove it...or some just came for a ride. They all were at a COMPLETE loss of words.
Sport Plus on the track is mega-intuitive. Some may prefer standard...but PDK is great for daily cruising and switching into SPORT PLUS for blindingly fast shifts...it should be called track mode. Its almost crazy to drive in sport plus on regular streets because it holds low gears for so long without shifting.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:55 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Porsche knows all too well about Techart, Cargraphic, 9ff, Ruf and the like. They have been around forever. They will not put out a shoddy car that will break when you mod it. HOW much hp is the question, but slight mods to 700 crank hp I bet it will take without skipping a beat.

This engine is no doubt the basis for the future of 911 TT's and GT2's, they would be idiots not to make it right the first time and have to make significant changes.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
+1 HeavyChevy

Old 03-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
DFI huh? Not that this source is great for facts, but that would be cool. And yes death to GT1, at least in the TT. I wonder what the taillights would look like without the teardrop style, kind of like that picture, just keep the small part at the bottom body color and solid and make the tailights more streamline. I think that would look good actually.

At least we know it's on the way for sure and will be here SOON. I bet those wheels are lighter than the current boats for sure, though they look kinda plain IMO.

Can't wait to see something official.
+1 on that as well Heavy...

I've actually hated the "teardrop" style taillights since the beginning. The more streamlined taillights in this photo look much better.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:05 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
I like the changes, they should do an actually 'face lift' to the front of the car instead of a 'butt lift' visually. I will trust Porsche to built a good engine in the new Turbo, just like they've proven with all these years.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:28 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have a feeling those cars are going to collect dust on the lots even moreso than the 997.2/997.2S . The depreciation in the current Turbo has been so significant that i can't imagine why anyone would buy a new one . I have never been one to advocate used cars but certain cars (like the Turbo) are the a used car shoppers dream . The new Porsches have priced themselves out of the market IMO.

I imagine that the car will have significant mid range /reduced lag improvent over the current stock car . But how many Turbo owners leave them stock ? The DFI engine in the 997.2 seems to reveal that trait . Also there may be some first year snags . A few posted that the 997.2 for instance is emitting soot in the 997 forum .

The trend I am noticing is that MOST posts in this forum aimed at buying a Porsche lean towards the CPO deals . A 96K car for 57 K? A 140K car for 88K ? Less than 10 K miles ?

When the 996tt came out I passed it up . Twice . I bought base 996 cars and did not even keep them long . I will pass up this Turbo . PDK does not interest me at all and even with paddles I would be lukewarm at best. If I want a computer to drive my car I can always play a video game --I don't -they bore me.

I guess you can say -if this car is it .. I am a little disappointed .
Could not have said it better!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:54 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I don't get it, the FL looks virtually the same, but with a consumer grade wet sump motor?? This must be some kind of cost saving strategy thought up by the bean counters. I'll be keeping my Gt1 motor, thank you very much.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche119
ALLLLL of my friends, made fun of my PDK...until they either drove it...or some just came for a ride. They all were at a COMPLETE loss of words.
Sport Plus on the track is mega-intuitive. Some may prefer standard...but PDK is great for daily cruising and switching into SPORT PLUS for blindingly fast shifts...it should be called track mode. Its almost crazy to drive in sport plus on regular streets because it holds low gears for so long without shifting.
+1. So many talk down on the new twin clutch trans because they have not driven one, especially in either sport or sport plus modes. I for one feel just as involved w/ the twin clutch because I can now concentrate more on what the car is doing - by keeping my hands on the steering wheel more (tells me more about what the front tires are doing); by not having to move my left leg (keep better contact w/ fell the chassis better.)

Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have no doubts about the advanced technology and sophistication of the PDK but I want the interaction with the car . Even though PDK bypasses driver shift error and makes the car faster the disengagement is worth the extra time because it makes driving more challenging to me.

And to the guy who can launch faster, shift quicker, and run around in a circle for a better time --he can thank PDK for the help .

When PDK evolves to an updated version and the 2010 160+K "integrated dry sump" car becomes dated like a BMW with i drive then one might ask why the manual has survived the test of time .

Chances are that your grandfather drove a manual and my guess is that your great grandchildren will not even know what a PDK is . In fact within 5 years (2015) some may not even want to buy the car with then old and dated PDK and that nearly 200K dropped on the car might have those who bought it wondering why they made the choice.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 AM
yrralis that is a very strong opinion. But it is opinion. Also...PDK is not new. Lets not call it PDK...Lets just say double clutch gearbox which is in the GTR, Ferrari California, Bugatti Veyron, M3, Evo, some audis and the list goes on. The technology is NOT new, maybe rather expensive, until now. Porsche created this years ago FOR RACING.
I hope you are correct that manuals will not completely go away, but Porsche has already said that the PDK (Their version of Double Clutch technology) will trumpet on until 2020...at least! It is not so much only a replacement for manual, but a replacement for automatic, and one that can trump manual at the track also.
Please read a bit more or gain some real world experience. Have you tracked a PDK S yet? Honestly?
And how is there disengagement in the car when the car can hold the gearing until you shift? And yes, we can thank PDK for the help, just like those that have modded any portion of their car to be faster, or better handling can thank the $10k, $20k or $30k they dropped into their car for modifications. Did you make the same claims when they invented fuel injection?
Clearly all wins at the track go to the most experienced driver, but your TURBO is quite a help on the straights. Their are a lot of different variations within cars that can provide an advantage over another, but one cant argue that double clutch is the future of high performance track machines. Do you feel the same way about sequential racing boxes?

Last edited by Porsche119; 03-29-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 AM
So how do you feel about this type of tranny?

This is also not a proper 6 speed manual right?...Im sure the driver can handle a 6 speed....but they use this tranny for racing because the shifts are so quick.
The shifting is quite similar to PDK...honestly.
Even though this is single clutch...

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...d9&area=videos

Last edited by Porsche119; 03-29-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I drove the PDK and would buy it. Our local dealers brought 3 out to our DE last fall and on track I found I was concentrating more on driving the car, and less on shifting gears.

I'm surprised that Porsche didn't incorporate the cooling baffle in the front bumper cover like the new GT3, considering the extra heat the turbos make.

I know this seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I think the new engine with 40% fewer moving parts is going to be more reliable than the present GT1 with intermediate shaft. Plus the new oil pump and pickup system looks to be an advancement also. Only time will tell.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
I'm surprised that Porsche didn't incorporate the cooling baffle in the front bumper cover like the new GT3, considering the extra heat the turbos make.
I think that vent is more for aerodynamics than cooling.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The depreciation in the current Turbo has been so significant that i can't imagine why anyone would buy a new one .
+1. To make things worse, the new GT3 that cost less is more desirable and now more user friendly for street use. I will have a very hard time convincing myself or anyone to spend money on a new turbo instead of the GT3, and the only obstacle is the GT3 availability.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Porsche119 - Most understand that PDK can perform well in racing but race cars evolve too and what's hot today may not be next year . The problem with new technology is that the design and engineering of the car and the engine can not match the acceleration of the technological growth. Whether its the dated PCM or the soon to be dated first generation PDK change will occur with time and in some cases rapidly.

The manual has passed the test of decades and Porsche has perfeted theiir gearbox. If you want the new and trendy.. if faster lap times/reduced driver shift error are your goal... if city driving has you preferring NOT to shift --get the PDK . But don't complain when the next version comes out and yours seems like a relic on the $200K car.

The Tiptronic is dated . Remember how it was hailed in 06 at the launch of the 997tt . The PDK will also be dated .

The one left standing is the manual .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 911 Turbo