997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2010 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:54 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Porsche119 - Most understand that PDK can perform well in racing but race cars evolve too and what's hot today may not be next year . The problem with new technology is that the design and engineering of the car and the engine can not match the acceleration of the technological growth. Whether its the dated PCM or the soon to be dated first generation PDK change will occur with time and in some cases rapidly.

The manual has passed the test of decades and Porsche has perfeted theiir gearbox. If you want the new and trendy.. if faster lap times/reduced driver shift error are your goal... if city driving has you preferring NOT to shift --get the PDK . But don't complain when the next version comes out and yours seems like a relic on the $200K car.

The Tiptronic is dated . Remember how it was hailed in 06 at the launch of the 997tt . The PDK will also be dated .

The one left standing is the manual .
Sequentials have been hot in racing for decades. They will not be outdated any time soon. Maybe the weight of them will decrease with more space age materials, maybe they will get more durable, but that's about it.

Maybe a real sequential will find it's way into a GT3, but also maybe no-lift manual shifting will as well.

There is a lot of OLD racing technology that is just , making it into street cars. The automatic/ torque converter lasted for how long? PDK will not be outdated in a few years. Not going to happen.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Cosmonaut is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Porsche119 - Most understand that PDK can perform well in racing but race cars evolve too and what's hot today may not be next year . The problem with new technology is that the design and engineering of the car and the engine can not match the acceleration of the technological growth. Whether its the dated PCM or the soon to be dated first generation PDK change will occur with time and in some cases rapidly.

The manual has passed the test of decades and Porsche has perfeted theiir gearbox. If you want the new and trendy.. if faster lap times/reduced driver shift error are your goal... if city driving has you preferring NOT to shift --get the PDK . But don't complain when the next version comes out and yours seems like a relic on the $200K car.

The Tiptronic is dated . Remember how it was hailed in 06 at the launch of the 997tt . The PDK will also be dated .

The one left standing is the manual .
Very well said, I am very satisfied with my 6speed. I can imagine when the pdk comes out the tip cars will take a much harder hit then the manuals.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Well put Chevy..some just dont understand. I can make a comparison. Ferrari , BMW, and Lamborghini all have single clutch automated manual transmissions as an option. They are VERY popular and they work fantastic as stated by MANY professional users. SMG in M5 and M3, F1 in Ferrari etc. These will evolve...as ferraris newest creation employs a dual clutch tranny. I had SMG and it was great. They will always update and have new software and make better versions..but they do that with manual as well.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Another point...almost all cars, any brand...take a huge hit when a new model is (in this case) expected to come. Especially if everyone believes it will be better than the previous model. Which is to be expected. Dont think for a second that when they improve the model...be it 2010 or 2011, PDK, or DFI...it doesnt matter what they do. The previous model will take a hit...nuff said.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:16 PM
WilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud of
It is sad to see the the flagship 911 get swollowed up by economics. Most won't know or care.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Sequentials have been hot in racing for decades. They will not be outdated any time soon. Maybe the weight of them will decrease with more space age materials, maybe they will get more durable, but that's about it.

Maybe a real sequential will find it's way into a GT3, but also maybe no-lift manual shifting will as well.

There is a lot of OLD racing technology that is just , making it into street cars. The automatic/ torque converter lasted for how long? PDK will not be outdated in a few years. Not going to happen.

I did not say sequentials . I did say this version of it used on street cars with 50K mile 4 year warranty . It will evolve much like the predecessors (F1 , SMg, etc ) used on other street cars.

Building specific cars for the track is quite different marketing a mass produced version for the average driver who walks into a dealership.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Cosmonaut is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche119
Another point...almost all cars, any brand...take a huge hit when a new model is (in this case) expected to come. Especially if everyone believes it will be better than the previous model. Which is to be expected. Dont think for a second that when they improve the model...be it 2010 or 2011, PDK, or DFI...it doesnt matter what they do. The previous model will take a hit...nuff said.
Some models with take a greater hit then the others, no one is arguing that the 997.1 will depreciate, just saying the TIP will go for a lot less then the 6speed when the pdk comes out,

Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The depreciation on Porsche turbos, at least in my mind, can only be summed up as the car being way overpriced to begin with. The resale price of a 5000 mile used turbo is the true value of the vehicle. The margin, is the exclusivity tax. For the truly wealthy, it is petty cash.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
The depreciation on Porsche turbos, at least in my mind, can only be summed up as the car being way overpriced to begin with. The resale price of a 5000 mile used turbo is the true value of the vehicle. The margin, is the exclusivity tax. For the truly wealthy, it is petty cash.
Its not overpriced, its overproduced!

4 year old Sl 550's MB's going for 27k........

Old 03-30-2009, 02:17 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
If it were truly worth $160,000, then it should resell for near that when it has less than 10,000 miles. How can a 997TT lose $70,000 with 5000 miles on it? I love them but I think all German cars are overpriced.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The car is not $160K...its $120-130K. With the exception of very limited options which give a return on resale, everything is eye candy and don't yield a return in value. This isn't true just for Porsche, but also for Lamborghini, Ferrari, Astons...It's a $120-130K car that is now worth $80K...a $40K drop in 2 years, which is not unexpected for this economy.

If you don't think the car is worth it, take a look at the GT-R and all the fiasco that has surrounded it's build, warranty claims, maintenance schedule. Or the $70K Z06, and the Mattel/Hasbro plastic-is-king interior.

In my eyes, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by bbywu; 03-30-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
In my eyees, you get what you pay for.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Agree yet these 997tt cars have not held value like the legendary 993tt . I think the purists accepted that the 996 could have been better and when the 997 came out it looked like things cleared up . There's no excuse that a 997tt which costs 150 can be bought for 90 .

Here's my example from the old days . I bought a 993tt for 113 and it was two years old . The car was out of production which pushed price UP in low mi pristine cars .

I paid 3 K above new car MSRP for a used Turbo and at that time (late 1998) it was considered a great deal.

This Turbo did NOT attain this level of value and as much as i love my car if Porsche takes the same route as BMW did (catering to attention deficit consumers) they will end up like BMW .. with expensive cars on thir lots collecting dust .

It is my opinion taht Porsche should take a one year rest cycle for the Turbo or the most loyal buyers might just walk away when they see that their 150K car is worth 60 and Porsche wants 200 for a new one.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I plan on buying a 997TT. I do think they are a better car than most everything out there, but Porsche is making a huge profit on ordered vehicles because wealthy people can afford to buy them, not because the conglomerate of parts and labor are worth that much.